SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:50:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security  (Read 18662 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »

Senators, I'll gladly discuss the new developments regarding Iran with you.

Thank you, Mr. Secretary.  This hearing is an overview hearing on foreign policy; if you could please submit a statement summarizing our international actions with a special focus on the Iranian negotiations it would be much appreciated Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 05:15:25 PM »

Thank you, Senator.

The Foreign Minister of Iran and I agreed to open liaison offices in our respective capitals. Although our agreement does not constitute establishing an official diplomatic relations, these officer are going to operate under diplomatic laws.

I believe that previously used backroom channels are simply no longer sufficient to deal with the issue of Iran. Naturally, there are a lot of disagreements between our countries that must be settled down before we can think of establishing normal relations.

A promise to maintain a permanent, direct contacts between our governments is the only commitment we are taking right now. We do understand any other commitments would require informed consent of the Senate and I'm hoping to work along with you on this issue.

Last, but not least, the Foreign Minister agreed to my suggestion that a delegation of Atlasian Senators may visit Tehran as a  fact finding team.

I'll gladly respond to detailed questions, if you have some, gentlemen.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »

Senator,

Do you believe that this new openness will be able to in any way calm fears amongst our allies, especially Israel, that Iran will not use its nuclear capabilities to harm the State of Israel?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »

I want to add that the Department of External Affairs, while is ready to consider a lot of issues during, hopefully incoming, talks, will not compromise on Israel's right to existence.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »

I want to add that the Department of External Affairs, while is ready to consider a lot of issues during, hopefully incoming, talks, will not compromise on Israel's right to existence.

Good to know.  Could you explain the Department's other activities at present, strategic goals, etc?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »

I hate to point this out but with the exception of the all the comments posted on the 12th, this committee has been silent for two separate sets of three days each. Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »

Senator,

Do you believe that this new openness will be able to in any way calm fears amongst our allies, especially Israel, that Iran will not use its nuclear capabilities to harm the State of Israel?

Is this meant for a Senator? Huh
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »

I hate to point this out but with the exception of the all the comments posted on the 12th, this committee has been silent for two separate sets of three days each. Tongue

Well, the individuals called to testify ain't talking much Tongue

I meant for the SoEA to answer the question.  Mr. President, what is your view on the matter?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »

Our allies know they have our support, if that is what you are asking. We don't believe Iran has a death wish.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 09:49:05 PM »

Thank you, Mr. President.

What has and/or what can Atlasia do to improve relations with Islamic nations like Egypt, Libya, and Turkey?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »

I'm here, but for now. Ask away.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »

Mr. Ambassador, what actions have you been engaged in on your trip abroad?  Have they yielded any sort of diplomatic fruit?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »

While it is difficult to gauge the effectiveness of a trip alone, one the goal of which is not to broker any formal agreement, I'd like to say that it yielded "diplomatic fruit" as you call it. It seems that in England they are very open to cooperation. My talks with British First Secretary of State William Hague revealed that Britain was revealing of the British interest in protecting human rights abroad and Syria was of course a case worthy of special interest. As well, they, as have we, and as has France, have recognized the Syrian National Council as the legitimate government there. The fact that we are of one mind on the issue as to what shall rule Syria in the post-Assad era was quite comforting. Among other questions were as to not exactly what, but who will lead post-Assad Syria and for that, I continue my narrative onto France where I was able to, in secret, meet with Manaf Tlass. A Syiran brigadier general, he is one of the more qualified men to lead Syria, whether in exile, or when the dust settles as an executive or military figure.

Obviously this issue is not a resolved one and I have a feeling we'll have to wait and see for ourselves whether it resolves. However, thanks to this trip we are able to work in better precision with both France and Britain. I apologize for the results of my diplomatic venture in Germany and Russia. My stay in Germany was defined mostly be being distracted by various, "Beer Gartens" or however you say them, coupled with Secretary Kalwejt's unexpected disappearance that left me trying to run the department for about a half week from a foreign country. And as for Russia, there's really little to be said there. However, we will have to crack Russia's shell at some point due to their status on the UN Security Council, and the same goes for China.

Thank you, Mr. Senator.

OOC Canon Question: There's a UN here, right?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »

OOC Canon Question: There's a UN here, right?

Yes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »

Well, the individuals called to testify ain't talking much Tongue

Then waterboard the SOBs! Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »

Thank you, Mr. President.

What has and/or what can Atlasia do to improve relations with Islamic nations like Egypt, Libya, and Turkey?

I'll be having the SoEA address this question on behalf of my administration.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 01:31:03 AM »

Could the Acting SoEA potentially give an answer fairly soon?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:12 AM »

The Iran bill will be on the Senate floor very soon. Do make all haste if you guys plan to consider it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »

Urgh.  To all those testifying, please give your opinions on Senator Clarence's Iran Resolution in your testimony.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »

Committee-

I would like to add only the recent comments made by the Iranian leadership about the State of Israel. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4270418,00.html

Khameini has called Israel a cancerous tumor and has blamed it for most of the problems of the Muslim world. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4269167,00.html

HE has explicitly stated within the last few weeks that Israel will soon "disappear from the landscape." And don't forget this comment from one of his subordinates "Gholam Reza Jalali, who heads an Iranian military unit in charge of fighting sabotage, said that al-Quds Day "is an expression of the fact that there is no other way but to stand firm and resist until Israel is destroyed.""

My friends- giving our President the option to initiate conflict does not make us the warmongers... it is in response to years of warmongering, violent rhetoric, threats, and lies from the Islamic Republic of Iran. They swindled the world by telling us their nuclear program was for peace- they have attained nuclear weapons. Our diplomatic response is reassuring... but how can we possibly trust them at their word especially when this hateful commentary against our ally continues? We must be prepared for all options and giving the President the ability to initiate military action, either to preempt or to respond, is a critical move...
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2012, 04:16:24 PM by Redalgo »

*puts on his glasses and leans forward slightly in his seat*

Esteemed comrade Senator, these statements issued by figures within the Iranian leadership are indeed appalling in nature and deserve to be met with full-throated, unwavering condemnation. However... would you say such rhetoric is exceptional coming from that regime? How can we for certain be assured this is not simply a lot of hot air? In the bill you propose the President alone be placed in a position from which he could choose to initiate a conflict in arms with one of the most potent powers in the West Asian region without any further, explicit authorization. Such a transfer of power is not to be taken lightly by the Senate, much less this committee.

President Napoleon already has at his disposal military assets which could potentially cast a limited umbrella of ballistic missile defense over most if not all major populated areas in Israel without adopting the proposed measure. It is also worth mentioning that Israel is almost certainly in possession of dozens of nuclear devices it could utilize as either a strategic deterrence or for launching an effective retaliation against Iran in the event of an unconventional first strike. It is my understanding that four Israeli subs - Dolphin, Leviathan, Tekumah, and Tannin - are rumored to be equipped with SLCMs that could deliver nuclear warheads from the Persian Gulf or Gulf of Oman to almost anywhere in Iran - though to be fair such an undertaking might require intervention on the part of Israeli allies to conduct SEAD operations and bust up some IRIN and IRIAF hardware.

Furthermore, it is widely known that Israel possess one of the most proficient, advanced, and experienced air forces in the world. Their conventional forces would be a daunting obstacle to any invader. I am confident that Israel is, hypothetically, a nation capable of holding its own against Iran in a conventional war long enough for Atlasian reinforcements to arrive.

Though I must concur with your sentiments regarding the Iranian regime being unworthy of our trust, that you would even think of us launching a preemptive strike is outrageous and I would hope both this committee and the Napoleon administration would be willing to back me up on that. A response to Iranian military forces aggressing against Israel is more acceptable to me but can be achieved by the Senate without this bill if things come to that point.

If you will kindly pardon my asking, Senator Clarence, why in your opinion is now the best time to act when all we would be achieving is extending to Israel a redundant gesture of friendship and centralizing power around the executive figurehead of our republic in an authoritarian fashion, all while needlessly antagonizing Iran - which by the way still happens to be a country we should be trying to avoid marching off to war against for the sake of our people as well as theirs?

*sips from a glass of water, then looks up from his notes*
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »

President Napoleon already has at his disposal military assets which could potentially cast a limited umbrella of ballistic missile defense over most if not all major populated areas in Israel without adopting the proposed measure. It is also worth mentioning that Israel is almost certainly in possession of dozens of nuclear devices it could utilize as either a strategic deterrence or for launching an effective retaliation against Iran in the event of an unconventional first strike. It is my understanding that four Israeli subs - Dolphin, Leviathan, Tekumah, and Tannin - are rumored to be equipped with SLCMs that could deliver nuclear warheads from the Persian Gulf or Gulf of Oman to almost anywhere in Iran - though to be fair such an undertaking might require intervention on the part of Israeli allies to conduct SEAD operations and bust up some IRIN and IRIAF hardware.

Furthermore, it is widely known that Israel possess one of the most proficient, advanced, and experienced air forces in the world. Their conventional forces would be a daunting obstacle to any invader. I am confident that Israel is, hypothetically, a nation capable of holding its own against Iran in a conventional war long enough for Atlasian reinforcements to arrive.

In addition to Senator Redalgo's comments:

During my tenure as SoEA, one of my actions was to prioritize development of the Arrow 3 anti-ballistic missile in response to Iran's development of nuclear weapons. I would believe that Israel now has in their possession fully functional hypersonic anti-missile interceptor system with a success rate of around 99%. Also,

Extension of Nuclear Umbrella

The Republic of Atlasia has decided to guarantee the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Republic of Turkey, the State of Israel, and the Arab Republic of Egypt that the Republic of Atlasia shall defend them if they are attacked by nuclear weapons.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 06:26:27 AM »

If you will kindly pardon my asking, Senator Clarence, why in your opinion is now the best time to act when all we would be achieving is extending to Israel a redundant gesture of friendship and centralizing power around the executive figurehead of our republic in an authoritarian fashion, all while needlessly antagonizing Iran - which by the way still happens to be a country we should be trying to avoid marching off to war against for the sake of our people as well as theirs?

*sips from a glass of water, then looks up from his notes*
First of all- I want to say that I agree with many of the facts you laid out in the rest of your statement...however I am confused how based upon our mutually agreed facts, a preemptive strike could be considered outrageous. Let' s consider the following...
1- Iran is a state sponsor of terror against our nation and our allies
2- Iran claimed its nuclear program was for peaceful use
3- Iran swindled the world by revealing its nuclear program was to attain nuclear weapons which they have done so

Iran has proven itself to be an enemy of ours- it is not a fight we sought but one that is presented to us. Like North Korea a few years ago, Iran has shown itself to be a nation committed to conflict whose every move is to strengthen its position... Iran will only get stronger and there is no indication that it will cease its hostile activities towards our nation and our friends. Therefore- I believe we must strike before doing so becomes impractical...if Iran's military capabilities advance to the point where a strike on the Islamic Republic would risk MAD, that would give Iran extraordinary leeway to wage conventional warfare and terrorism without fear of destruction. We must eliminate this possibility and ensure the Iranian regime remains weak- they have brought this conflict to us, not the other way around
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »

Um, four days have passed here with no discussion. The Iran resolution itself is very close to being brought to the floor. My suggestion would be PM/drag by the ear any final testimony before proceeding to a recommendation vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »

SIX FING DAYS!!!! This doesn't make me very happy, you guys are letting me down!!! Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies