SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:44:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security  (Read 18655 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2012, 01:02:16 PM »

DoEA Policy: Asia and Oceania

Afghanistan: Normal, though we are concerned about corruption, drugs, woman's rights and other issues.
Australia: Most Priority
Bahrain: Full military and no economic restrictions.  The Atlasian Government strongly condemns the measures taken against protesters in Bahrain.
Bangladesh: Normal
Bhutan: Normal
Brunei: Partial military and partial economic restrictions
Burma (Myanmar): Partial military and no economic restrictions.  The DoEA applauds the Government for beginning to make the transition towards democracy, and hopes to see such progress continue.
Cambodia: Normal, though we are concerned about corruption and civil liberties.
China: Full military restrictions and no economic restrictions, though we are very concerned over human rights, and political liberties.
East Timor: Normal
Federated States of Micronesia: Normal
Fiji: Full military and partial economic restrictions.
Gaza Strip: Full military and partial economic restrictions. We are concerned about acts of terrorism against Israel committed by the Hamas and the human rights situation.
India: Most Priority
Indonesia: Most Priority
Iran: Full military and economic restrictions will remain in place until the Iranian regime makes full, honest and lasting overtures to democracy, as well as fully renouncing any attempt at a nuclear program. We are currently in peace talks with Iran. Status pending.
Iraq: Normal, though we have major concerns about corruption and other issues.
Israel: Normal; the DoEA urges Israel to begin to negotiate in earnest with Atlasia and the Palestinian peoples, at which time, Most Priority will be granted.
Japan: Most Priority
Jordan: Normal, though we want a full transfer to democracy.
Kazakhstan: Partial military and no economic restrictions. We want a full transfer to democracy.
Kiribati: Normal
Kuwait: Normal.
Kyrgyzstan: Partial military and no economic restrictions
Laos: Normal, though we have concerns about human rights and basic freedoms.
Lebanon: Full military and no economic restrictions.
Malaysia: Partial military and no economic restrictions.
Maldives: Normal
Marshall Islands: Normal
Mongolia: Normal
Nauru: Normal
Nepal: Normal
New Zealand: Most Priority
North Korea: Full military and economic restrictions
Oman: Partial military and no economic restrictions
Pakistan: Partial military and no economic restrictions; we are extremely concerned about the apparent role of the ISI in harboring terrorists.
Palau: Normal
Papua New Guinea: Normal
Philippines: Normal
Qatar: Normal, though we want a full transfer to democracy.
Samoa: Normal
Saudi Arabia: Partial military and no economic restrictions. We are concerned about the human rights situation and urge the government to make major democratic reforms. If the human rights situation does not improve, more restrictions may follow.
Singapore: Normal, though we would like a true democracy.
Solomon Islands: Normal
South Korea: Normal
Sri Lanka: Normal, though we are concerned about a few issues. We urge the government to build a modern, peaceful, democratic and multi-ethnic state with peaceful ethnic relations in the wake of the end of the civil war.
Syria: Full military and economic restrictions.  The regime of Bashar al-Assad has committed significant human rights violations against its people, and it is time for Mr. Assad to accept the will of his people and resign his position and allow Syria to become a democratic state.
Tajikistan: Full military and economic restrictions
Thailand: Normal
Tonga: Normal
Turkmenistan: Full military and economic restrictions
Tuvalu: Normal
United Arab Emirates: Partial military and economic restrictions. We are concerned about workers rights and political freedoms.
Uzbekistan: Full military and economic restrictions
Vanuatu: Normal
Vietnam: Normal
West Bank:Normal. We are concerned about the current political situation, support a two state solution and would, in the near future, like a democratic and independent State of Palestine. As stated above, we hope that the Palestinians will come to negotiate in earnest.
Yemen: Full military and no economic restrictions.

DoEA Policy: Africa

Algeria: Partial military and partial economic restrictions.  We have serious concerns about political freedoms, basic rights, and corruption.
Angola: Normal
Benin: Normal
Botswana: Normal
Burkina Faso: Normal, though we are concerned about corruption and certain political freedoms.
Burundi: Partial military and no economic restrictions, though we are still concerned about ethnic violence, corruption and certain political freedoms.
Cameroon: Normal, though we are concerned by the political situation and corruption.
Cape Verde: Normal
Central African Republic: Partial military and partial economic restrictions. We are concerned by the lack of political freedoms and certain civil liberties.
Chad: Full military and partial economic restrictions. We are concerned by the lack of political freedoms, certain civil liberties and the political situation.
Comoros: Normal, though we are concerned by the current political situation
Congo: Full military and partial economic restrictions. We are concerned by the massive corruption and lack of political freedoms.
Cote d’Ivoire: Normal
Democratic Republic of the Congo: Full military and economic restrictions because of serious concerns about the political situation, continued violence, basic rights, corruption and treatment of women.
Djibouti: Partial military and no economic restrictions
Egypt: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  We are very concerned about potential government instability. The DoEA would like to have talks with the Egyptian government as soon as possible regarding this matter.
Equatorial Guinea: Full military and economic restrictions
Eritrea: Full military and economic restrictions. We have strong concerns about the current situation, civil liberties and illegal weapons trading with Somalia.
Ethiopia: Partial military and economic restrictions. We have concerns about political freedoms, internal violence and relations with Somalia.
Gabon: Partial military and partial economic restrictions
Gambia: Partial military and no economic restrictions
Ghana: Normal
Guinea: Partial military and no economic restrictions. We have serious concerns about political freedoms, basic rights, and corruptions. We support a return to civilian government.
Guinea-Bissau: Partial military and no economic restrictions
Kenya: Normal
Lesotho: Normal
Liberia: Normal
Libya: Normal. The DoEA is pleased with the transition that the Libyans are taking towards Democracy.
Madagascar: Normal, though we are concerned by corruption and political instability.
Malawi: Normal
Mali: Partial economic and no military restrictions.  We are very concerned about government instability.
Mauritania: Partial military and no economic restrictions.
Mauritius: Normal
Morocco: Normal, though we are concerned about certain political freedoms.
Mozambique: Normal
Namibia: Normal
Niger: Normal, though we have serious concerns about political freedoms and basic rights.
Nigeria: Normal.  There needs to be serious political reform and we are also worried about violence in the Niger Delta and the situation in the north.
Rwanda: Partial military and no economic restrictions, though we have concerns pertaining to freedom of the press and politics.
Sao Tome and Principe: Normal
Senegal: Normal
Seychelles: Normal
Sierra Leone: Normal
Somalia: Full military and economic restrictions. We have strong concerns regarding piracy and continued violence.
Somaliland: Normal.
South Africa: Normal, though we have concerns over corruption and their response to the HIV/AIDs epidemic.
Sudan: Full military and economic restrictions.
South Sudan: Normal.
Swaziland: Full military and economic restrictions
Tanzania: Normal
Togo: Partial military and no economic restrictions.
Tunisia: Partial military and no economic restrictions.
Uganda: Full military and partial economic restrictions. We are concerned by the political situation, human rights and corruption.
Western Sahara: Normal
Zambia: Normal/ though we are concerned by the political situation and corruption.
Zimbabwe: Full military and economic restrictions
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »

There ya go, I think that's everyone.

The pretty looking version can be found over in my office.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2012, 01:57:12 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Mexico: Normal, though we have serious concerns about the drug warlords conflict.
Bosnia & Herzegovina: Normal
Georgia: Partial Military and Trade Restrictions. We have concerns over civil liberties and other issues within the area.
Greece: Normal. We have concerns over Greece's economic situation.
Turkey: Normal, although concerns remain about treatment of Kurds, and increasing trend away from secularism.

Mexico: Most Priority, though we have serious concerns about the drug warlords conflict.
Bosnia & Herzegovina: Normal. Atlasia welcomes the apparent political stability and peaceful ethnic relations.
Georgia: Normal, though we have concerns over civil liberties and notably about the status of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. The DoEA reserves the right to military restrictions if we feel that it is needed in view of current events in the country or the Caucasus.
Greece: Normal
Turkey: Most Priority, although concerns remain about treatment of Kurds, and increasing trend away from secularism.

Afghanistan: Normal, though we are concerned about corruption, drugs, woman's rights and other issues.
Bahrain: Full military and no economic restrictions.  The Atlasian Government strongly condemns the measures taken against protesters in Bahrain.
China: Full military restrictions and no economic restrictions, though we are very concerned over human rights, and political liberties.
Iran: Full military and economic restrictions will remain in place until the Iranian regime makes full, honest and lasting overtures to democracy, as well as fully renouncing any attempt at a nuclear program. We are currently in peace talks with Iran. Status pending.
Israel: Normal; the DoEA urges Israel to begin to negotiate in earnest with Atlasia and the Palestinian peoples, at which time, Most Priority will be granted.
New Zealand: Most Priority
Saudi Arabia: Partial military and no economic restrictions. We are concerned about the human rights situation and urge the government to make major democratic reforms. If the human rights situation does not improve, more restrictions may follow.
West Bank:Normal. We are concerned about the current political situation, support a two state solution and would, in the near future, like a democratic and independent State of Palestine. As stated above, we hope that the Palestinians will come to negotiate in earnest.

Afghanistan: Normal, though we are concerned about corruption, drugs, woman's rights (see pending legislation) and other issues.
Bahrain: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  The Atlasian Government strongly condemns the measures taken against protesters in Bahrain.
China: Partial military restrictions and no economic restrictions, though we are very concerned over human rights, and political liberties. We realize that China is a major economic partner and full economic restrictions would be counter-productive to the Atlasian and global economy.
Iran: Full military and economic restrictions will remain in place until the Iranian regime makes full, honest and lasting overtures to democracy, as well as fully renouncing any attempt at a nuclear program.
Israel: Normal; the DoEA urges Israel to end all settlements and alter the current non-Green Line route of the West Bank separation barrier, in which case Most Priority status shall be granted. We also urge Israel to work harder towards reaching a settlement to the Palestinian crisis.
New Zealand: Normal
Saudi Arabia: Partial military and no economic restrictions. We are concerned about the human rights situation and urge the government to make major democratic reforms.
West Bank:Normal. We are concerned about the current political situation, support a two state solution and would, in the near future, like a democratic and independent State of Palestine.

Algeria: Partial military and partial economic restrictions.  We have serious concerns about political freedoms, basic rights, and corruption.
Burundi: Partial military and no economic restrictions, though we are still concerned about ethnic violence, corruption and certain political freedoms.
Djibouti: Partial military and no economic restrictions
Egypt: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  We are very concerned about potential government instability. The DoEA would like to have talks with the Egyptian government as soon as possible regarding this matter.
Guinea-Bissau: Partial military and no economic restrictions
Libya: Normal. The DoEA is pleased with the transition that the Libyans are taking towards Democracy.
Mali: Partial economic and no military restrictions.  We are very concerned about government instability.
Morocco: Normal, though we are concerned about certain political freedoms.
Sudan: Full military and economic restrictions.
South Sudan: Normal.
Western Sahara: Normal

Algeria: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  We have serious concerns about political freedoms, basic rights, and corruption.
Burundi: Normal, though we are still concerned about ethnic violence, corruption and certain political freedoms.
Djibouti: Full military and partial economic restrictions
Egypt: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  We are very concerned about the lack of a full transition to democracy, and hope that Egypt can continue on its path to democratic reform.
Guinea-Bissau: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  We are very concerned about the recent coup and its effects on the people.
Libya: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  It is the hope of the DoEA that Libya can make the transition to democracy.
Mali: Partial economic and no military restrictions.  We are very concerned about the recent coup and its effects on the people.
Morocco: Normal, though we are concerned about certain political freedoms. On the matter of Western Sahara, we demand immediate negotiations concerning the status of Western Sahara, and the failure of Morocco to engage into talks will results in recognition of Sahrawi independence.
Sudan: Full military and economic restrictions. We strongly condemn the situation in Darfur, and would like to see an end to conflict with South Sudan.
South Sudan: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  While the DoEA wants South Sudan to succeed, it needs to abide by international law and respect its boundary with Sudan.

Here y'all go. Everything here has changed since the last review. I threw this together for myself and figured the committee might want it as well.

Be it noted that Iran has fully developed a nuclear weapons program and thus that portion of Iran's status is obsolete.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2012, 03:05:37 AM »

Ben, what is the game plan for this here? Do you plan to deliberate it before the committee before it goes before the full Senate? If so, please proceed with that immediately.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2012, 11:28:44 AM »

Let us begin!  Mr. Secretary, can you explain the deviations from the last policy?  Specifically, your policies relating to China, Iran, Mexico, Turkey, and Libya?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »

Senators, forgive the late reply, I haven't been on much. With regards to China, I have no intention of allowing any sort of military cooperation with the Chinese until their human rights policies are fixed. We have not changed the policy on Iran at all, only my own language on it did. With regards to Mexico, I am backing off on Most Priority due to concerns I have about free trade as well as the loss of jobs to cheap labor. However, I'm fully committed to good relations with Mexico. The downgrading of Turkish status was simply a warning that I don't like where their policies are headed. A minor change with a message behind it. In terms of Libya, I have been in contact with the new government there and as of right now, I saw no need to specifically prevent any military restrictions. Though this could change.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »

Don't you think that full military sanctions on China hurts us in terms of economic cooperation on other issues, as well as damaging the trust that exists between us?  I see this as too strong of a measure.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »

Don't you think that full military sanctions on China hurts us in terms of economic cooperation on other issues, as well as damaging the trust that exists between us?  I see this as too strong of a measure.

I don't feel that it should. This is meant to be a short term order to bring them to the negotiating table. Sometimes one needs to take a bold action in order to make the point. The point is, we're not happy with existing goings on and that we will take action when necessary. Senator, I understand your concerns, but I feel that a strong gesture is required in this case. I understand if you feel I'm wrong, but I took a great deal of time to consider if the strong response was appropriate and I came to the affirmative decision.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2012, 01:34:59 AM »

Does that policy regarding China have the full support of the Administration? That is a serious step to take and one that could have serious ramifications.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »

The President has stated to me that I have his full support on foreign policy matters. He has not communicated to me any disagreement with the policy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2012, 12:20:31 AM »

So you and the President have exchanged correspondance on the matter of China?

Ben, it says something when the only Senator asking questions in this committee thread in the last three days isn't even a member the committee, and that something isn't good. Tongue Could you press this forward with a bit more aggression?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2012, 12:55:27 AM »

No, we have not.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »

Sorry for the absence; I was unavailable.

Mr. Secretary, I need some strong justification for this step.  This is a huge move against an important ally, and I can't support it without a very good reason.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »

The time has come to get tough on China and do so without upsetting the global economy. We believe China will get the message and cooperate with is better.

Mexico, I think, should remain Most Priority. They are a good trade partner and ally. The levels of violence there have decreased drastically over the past few months, so we should stay the course.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »

I agree about Mexico, but I disagree about China.  I really need to see some hard evidence before I endorse this move.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2012, 12:34:22 PM »

Sorry for my lack of comments on this lexicon. I just figured it was procedural.

Anyhow, I actually agree with the president and the secretary about this new stance on China. It's a complex relationship, but we've got to make sure we're on even footing.

I support most of the changes, but I think Mexico should remain of "most priority," if only because it's a border country. If Canada gets that distinction, why shouldn't Mexico?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »

Gentlemen, we are now voting on whether the Senate should pass this FPR.  Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Aye, with amendments to China and Mexico.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »

Aye
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »

Welcome new members!  Feel free to get settled, as we'll likely be tackling some trade agreements soon.  Until then y'all can move in to your offices.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »

Welcome back. Cheesy
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2012, 09:00:17 AM »

Hello.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »

BEN IT DOESN"T TAKE NINE DAYS TO SETTLE INTO AN OFFICE, GOD DAMNIT!!! Angry Angry Angry
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »

BEN IT DOESN"T TAKE NINE DAYS TO SETTLE INTO AN OFFICE, GOD DAMNIT!!! Angry Angry Angry

Nothing's going on, Yank.  As soon as the Trade Commission passes, we'll be starting there.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2012, 01:59:05 AM »

Is there by chance a connection between that and the fact that this hasn't been posted in for over a month: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=160996.0
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2012, 02:02:25 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=1594;sa=showPosts

Or maybe that the SoEA seems to have pulled a complete Morgieb on us and even Chairman Nix of GOR can't seem to raise him?

I don't know Chairman, that seem like nothing going on or a neglect of duty (and thus something for your committee to being looking into) to you? Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies