SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:40:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security  (Read 18570 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »

There's not much I can do when Kal disappears, Yankee, and I don't have the power to force Cathcon to testify yet.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 09:39:51 PM »

Now you're job is to testify as a potential nominee, however.

Hello.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »

Yankee, I have heard enough about the Iran resolution to have a firm position on it and feel there is little to be pursued on the subject unless someone else on the committee has some more questions to pose. Also - and here is the part where you should feel free to facepalm - I could use a bit of clarification about why we have summoned Cathcon here to testify. Grin
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »

Cathcon has been summoned to appear since he is now the nominee to be the next SoEA, and to give an opinion on the Iran legislation, killing two birds with one statement.

Cathcon, what is your expert opinion about the Iran legislation?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »

Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iran Resolution

Whereas- Iran has committed acts of war against our nation such as the taking of hostages

Whereas- Iran has conducted and publicly announced military exercises to simulate and enhance their ability to strike Atlasian military bases in the region

Whereas- Iran has repeatedly threatened acts of war such as closing the Strait of Hormuz and has repeatedly threatened our allies especially Israel

Whereas- Iran is universally recognized as a state sponsor of terror and has been identified as the primary state collaborator of the terrorist organization Hezbollah

Whereas- Iran has attempted to assassinate diplomatic officials to Atlasia

Whereas- Iran lied to the world community regarding its intentions for uranium enrichment, pledging peaceful intentions and later announcing the successful development of a nuclear weapon

Whereas- the world community and Atlasia in particular has no reason to trust the Iranian regime

Be it resolved- the Senate gives the President full authority to initiate and direct military operations against the Islamic Republic of Iran

Having read over the bill and having read outside data on the subject, I concur that Senator Clarence's points are valid. However, I am cautious about the thought of launching an invasion of Iran. As well, I recall it being the administration's position (state through implication of directly), that there is no intention in the executive branch of approving force on Iran. Being that, I would have to be given examples of proposed military actions, strategies, and tactics, and propositions as to what we would hypothetically put in place of the current Islamic Republic of Iran.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »

The Iran Resolution will probably be on the floor by tomorrow.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »

And now everyone has testified.  Senators, should the Senate pass this resolution?  Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »

Nay
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »

Aye
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »

Aye
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »

By a vote of 2-1, the Committee formally recommends that the Senate pass this legislation.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »

And we're back!  I am going to start by summoning SoEA Cathcon to appear before us and testify about what he's been up to.

CATHCON, YOU ARE SUMMONED.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2012, 10:56:27 PM »

Dr. Cynic, you are called before this committee to testify prior to a vote on your confirmation as SoEA.  Hurry on over Smiley
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »

I'm happy to appear before this committee and will be glad to answer any questions you may have in regards to my nomination for SoEA.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2012, 11:05:14 PM »

Dr., what will be your top priorities as SoEA?  Will you continue to pursue negotiations with Iran?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »

My top priorities will be strengthening our relationships with existing allies and work to curb human rights violations where possible.

I will. I think it would be the only sensible option to continue to talk to Iran. We must exhaust all diplomatic channels we have at our disposal and I will, with the consent of the President, work for a peaceful solution to the tensions.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »

What effect do you think the constant turnover of Atlasian diplomats will have on our relationship with the Iranian regime (a relationship which, as I understand it, was already very delicate)? If the effect is negative, how will you mitigate it?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »

You're right to say relations at this point are very delicate. I've been brushing myself up on the intricacies of the relationship since my nomination and the situation is very tenuous. A bit like walking along a high wire from 1000 feet up.

I'm sure there must be some sort of negative effect of diplomatic turnover. I'd like to lead talks myself to mitigate any effect of negative turnover. Of course, if a diplomat does a poor job, then of course turnover can be a positive. But as I said, I will keep an active hand in our relations with Iran to mitigate the problems that may be caused.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2012, 01:35:22 AM »

Ah, Ben? This has been sitting for five days?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2012, 11:21:02 AM »

I don't remember how the process works to remove a committee chairman, but failure of something to occur here in the next day or so, may lead to me finding out again. Tongue And a day beyond that, well we shouldn't contemplate such things.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »

Sorry Yank, fall break Tongue

As soon as Cynic presents a full version of the "Factbook", we'll begin hearings on it.  Until then, sit tight guys.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2012, 10:22:59 PM »

I believe I've finished it in the External Affairs office (I don't think I'm missing anything) So, would you like it all bunched together and presented here, then?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »

That would be delightful; that will also allow me to introduce it formally as legislation.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2012, 12:27:26 PM »

That would be delightful; that will also allow me to introduce it formally as legislation.

Very well. I'm on my phone at the moment but I'll do it tonight.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:27 PM »

Department of External Affairs: October 2012 Foreign Policy Review

Economic/Trade Restrictions:

Most Priority: Free exchange of intelligence and trade, as well as top priorities for military and/or economic aid if needed

Normal/None: Atlasian government and corporations are free to due business unhindered by government enforced restrictions.

Partial: Specific restrictions such as selective tariffs or partial embargoes are to be in place to attack the government and not the regime. Foreign aid can be granted if the regime shows signs of progress towards democracy.

Full: Complete embargo and trade is forbidden with the nation in question. Corporations in violation may face fines decided by the Senate.

Military Restrictions:

Normal/None: Any military hardware produced by private firms, or by the government of Atlasia may be sold to the government in question. However, nuclear material, technology and nuclear weapons may not be sold unless the Senate agrees with the sale of atomic technology to the nation in question.

Partial: Personnel weapons may be sold by private corporations or the state to the country in question. Personnel weapons are weapons, which are carried and operated by one man, i.e. assault rifles, mortars, RPGs, etc. No vehicles, armour, aircraft, or ships may be sold.

Full: No military equipment of any nature may be sold privately or by Atlasia, i.e. no uniforms, guns, vehicles, nothing.

DoEA Policy: The Americas

Antigua and Barbuda: Normal
Argentina: Normal
Bahamas: Normal
Barbados: Normal
Belize: Normal
Bolivia: Normal
Brazil: Normal
Canada: Most Priority
Chile: Normal.
Colombia: Normal.
Costa Rica: Normal
Cuba: Normal. Atlasian policy regarding Cuba is currently F.L. 18-6, Cuban Relations Act.
Dominica: Normal
Dominican Republic: Normal
Ecuador: Normal
El Salvador: Normal
Grenada: Normal
Guatemala: Normal
Guyana: Normal
Haiti: Normal, though we have concerns regarding corruption and political instability.
Honduras: Normal
Jamaica: Normal
Mexico: Normal, though we have serious concerns about the drug warlords conflict.
Nicaragua: Normal
Panama: Normal
Paraguay: Normal
Peru: Normal
Saint Kitts and Nevis: Normal
Saint Lucia: Normal
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines: Normal
Suriname: Normal
Trinidad and Tobago: Normal
Uruguay: Normal
Venezuela: Normal

DoEA Policy: Europe

Albania: Normal
Andorra: Normal
Armenia: Normal
Austria: Normal
Azerbaijan: Full military and economic restrictions until free elections are held, civil liberties respected and transparency is restored.
Belarus: Full military and economic restrictions until free elections are held and civil liberties respected.
Belgium: Normal
Bosnia & Herzegovina: Normal
Bulgaria: Normal
Croatia: Normal
Czech Republic: Normal
Denmark: Normal
Estonia: Normal
Finland: Normal
France: Most Priority
Georgia: Partial Military and Trade Restrictions. We have concerns over civil liberties and other issues within the area.
Germany: Most Priority
Greece: Normal. We have concerns over Greece's economic situation.
Hungary: Normal, though we have concerns regarding political freedom.
Iceland: Normal
Ireland: Normal
Italy: Normal, though we have concerns about corruption.
Kosovo: Normal
Latvia: Normal
Liechtenstein: Partial economic restrictions; we call for a complete transition to democracy and full transparency in banking.
Lithuania: Normal
Luxembourg: Normal
Macedonia: Normal, although we have concerns about corruption, ethnic minorities and relations with Greece.
Moldova: Normal. Atlasia is pleased overall with democratic evolution in Moldova, though we have serious concerns about corruption, political instability, drug trafficking and the Transnistria issue.
Monaco: Normal
Montenegro: Normal
Netherlands: Normal
Norway: Normal
Poland: Normal
Portugal: Normal
Romania: Normal
Russia: Partial military and economic restrictions. We have serious concerns about democracy, civil liberties, press freedom and the situation in Chechnya and the Russian Caucasus.
San Marino: Normal
Serbia: Normal
Slovakia: Normal, though we have some concerns about worrying nationalist trends in the country and their negative effect on internal and external ethnic relations.
Slovenia: Normal
Sweden: Normal
Switzerland: Normal
Turkey: Normal, although concerns remain about treatment of Kurds, and increasing trend away from secularism.
Ukraine: Normal, but we have concerns regarding current political stability, corruption, and various other problems.
United Kingdom: Most Priority
Vatican City: Normal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies