SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:47:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security  (Read 18899 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: August 05, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »

To those assembled at these hearings today I want to pose a question. Ought this amendment to include in its text a provision for assigning pending treaties a high rank of priority in the Senate so as to expedite their introduction to the floor for deliberation and voting?
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

Aye
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2012, 04:16:24 PM by Redalgo »

*puts on his glasses and leans forward slightly in his seat*

Esteemed comrade Senator, these statements issued by figures within the Iranian leadership are indeed appalling in nature and deserve to be met with full-throated, unwavering condemnation. However... would you say such rhetoric is exceptional coming from that regime? How can we for certain be assured this is not simply a lot of hot air? In the bill you propose the President alone be placed in a position from which he could choose to initiate a conflict in arms with one of the most potent powers in the West Asian region without any further, explicit authorization. Such a transfer of power is not to be taken lightly by the Senate, much less this committee.

President Napoleon already has at his disposal military assets which could potentially cast a limited umbrella of ballistic missile defense over most if not all major populated areas in Israel without adopting the proposed measure. It is also worth mentioning that Israel is almost certainly in possession of dozens of nuclear devices it could utilize as either a strategic deterrence or for launching an effective retaliation against Iran in the event of an unconventional first strike. It is my understanding that four Israeli subs - Dolphin, Leviathan, Tekumah, and Tannin - are rumored to be equipped with SLCMs that could deliver nuclear warheads from the Persian Gulf or Gulf of Oman to almost anywhere in Iran - though to be fair such an undertaking might require intervention on the part of Israeli allies to conduct SEAD operations and bust up some IRIN and IRIAF hardware.

Furthermore, it is widely known that Israel possess one of the most proficient, advanced, and experienced air forces in the world. Their conventional forces would be a daunting obstacle to any invader. I am confident that Israel is, hypothetically, a nation capable of holding its own against Iran in a conventional war long enough for Atlasian reinforcements to arrive.

Though I must concur with your sentiments regarding the Iranian regime being unworthy of our trust, that you would even think of us launching a preemptive strike is outrageous and I would hope both this committee and the Napoleon administration would be willing to back me up on that. A response to Iranian military forces aggressing against Israel is more acceptable to me but can be achieved by the Senate without this bill if things come to that point.

If you will kindly pardon my asking, Senator Clarence, why in your opinion is now the best time to act when all we would be achieving is extending to Israel a redundant gesture of friendship and centralizing power around the executive figurehead of our republic in an authoritarian fashion, all while needlessly antagonizing Iran - which by the way still happens to be a country we should be trying to avoid marching off to war against for the sake of our people as well as theirs?

*sips from a glass of water, then looks up from his notes*
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »

Yankee, I have heard enough about the Iran resolution to have a firm position on it and feel there is little to be pursued on the subject unless someone else on the committee has some more questions to pose. Also - and here is the part where you should feel free to facepalm - I could use a bit of clarification about why we have summoned Cathcon here to testify. Grin
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies