New North Carolina Law BANS Scientific Predictions of Sea Level Rise.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:30:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New North Carolina Law BANS Scientific Predictions of Sea Level Rise.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New North Carolina Law BANS Scientific Predictions of Sea Level Rise.  (Read 2056 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/law-north-carolina-bans-latest-scientific-predictions-sea-165416121--abc-news-topstories.html

The law was drafted in response to an estimate by the state's Coastal Resources Commission (CRC) that the sea level will rise by 39 inches in the next century, prompting fears of costlier home insurance and accusations of anti-development alarmism among residents and developers in the state's coastal Outer Banks region.

Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue had until Thursday to act on the bill known as House Bill 819, but she decided to let it become law by doing nothing.

The bill's passage in June triggered nationwide scorn by those who argued that the state was deliberately blinding itself to the effects of climate change. In a segment on the "Colbert Report," comedian Stephen Colbert mocked North Carolina lawmakers' efforts as an attempt to outlaw science.

"If your science gives you a result you don't like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved," he joked.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »

I hope those who voted for or supported the bill they get flooded. But I'm sure they'd blame that on the gays.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »

Some "Democrat" Perdue is for declining to veto this. I imagine that rising sea levels won't be kind to the Outer Banks.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »

Why let facts get in the way of profit?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:30:35 PM »

Oh, God. Oh, my f[inks]ing God.

First Texas, now this?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:32:29 AM »

What's going to get real annoying is when in 30-40 years the folks in the low areas begin asking for federal assistance once their homes get swallowed up by the sea with greater frequency each year.

I wish the US wasn't such a reactionary society, it really sucks for issues like climate change.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 01:27:48 AM »

Don't worry folks. Inks told me that Republicans aren't anti-science at all, that's just liberal crap. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 04:36:02 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/law-north-carolina-bans-latest-scientific-predictions-sea-165416121--abc-news-topstories.html

The law was drafted in response to an estimate by the state's Coastal Resources Commission (CRC) that the sea level will rise by 39 inches in the next century, prompting fears of costlier home insurance and accusations of anti-development alarmism among residents and developers in the state's coastal Outer Banks region.

Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue had until Thursday to act on the bill known as House Bill 819, but she decided to let it become law by doing nothing.

The bill's passage in June triggered nationwide scorn by those who argued that the state was deliberately blinding itself to the effects of climate change. In a segment on the "Colbert Report," comedian Stephen Colbert mocked North Carolina lawmakers' efforts as an attempt to outlaw science.

"If your science gives you a result you don't like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved," he joked.

It's what Jebus wants.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »

Don't worry folks. Inks told me that Republicans aren't anti-science at all, that's just liberal crap. 

I never said no Republicans were.

And to be fair, the law doesn't ban the predictions from being made.  It bans those predictions from being used to guide state policies anytime in the next 4 years, having the state rely on  climatological data while the CRC finishes their report.

The story also uses an old version of the bill, while the end bill was more moderate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »

The media in this state have a habit of using the old texts that have since been amended. WRAL is still using the original Rucho-Lewis map that was canned after Butterfield's criticisms were issued.

Good ole' Bev strikes again. Tongue
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good to know. Maybe in the next election they should use this slogan: "Republicans: not as bad as the Inquisition".
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »

Good to know. Maybe in the next election they should use this slogan: "Republicans: not as bad as the Inquisition".

This is nothing close to the Inquisition.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:58:48 AM »

But we know to expect Republicans, nobody expects the Inquisition.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »

My state of California should do this. I say that they should redefine Earthquakes as "Jesus hugs". And then they can get rid of all that job killing regulation that deny job creators the freedom to chose any building materials they want. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »

My state of California should do this. I say that they should redefine Earthquakes as "Jesus hugs". And then they can get rid of all that job killing regulation that deny job creators the freedom to chose any building materials they want. 

Nobody's redefining anything.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »

Well I suppose they're redefining the basis for policy-making - elminating the use of science as a part of this process is an interesting step.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 02:05:35 PM by Dressage Voter »

while a parody the analogy is apt.

Science shows that California is more in danger of experiencing earthquakes than Iowa, and science indicates that more Earthquakes will come based on analyzing historical trends. Therefore California's government has put in many regulations and limits on where and how things are constructed in the state. These regulations increase costs and decrease certain economic opportunities.  

NC is essentially doing the opposite. The USGS and entire world of science is telling NC that they are susceptible to future sea level rising. This finding would therefore therefore force the state to take actions which would cost money and/or opportunity. Instead of dealing with the problem they are choosing to ignore it (or redefine it as not a problem)

Global warming denial has such a great allure because it is the easier thing to do. If we say it isn't happening then we dont have to deal with it.  
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »

Well I suppose they're redefining the basis for policy-making - elminating the use of science as a part of this process is an interesting step.

1. From my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong here), but this doesn't actual change the basis for policy-making.  The status quo seems to already be to use climatoligical data.  The bill seems more of a preemptive step.

2. How is using climatological data eliminating the use of science?  Climatology is science...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »

2. How is using climatological data eliminating the use of science?  Climatology is science...

Perhaps they've chosen certain aspects of science with which they agree and disallowed other aspects with which they disagree politically.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »

Hey, the Bishop of Geneva once exorcised a glacier and the Little Ice Age ended, eventually.  Wink

http://geowords.com/histbookpdf/b03.pdf
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 01:53:23 AM »

Perhaps they've chosen certain aspects of science with which they agree and disallowed other aspects with which they disagree politically.

That may be the case with some people (although that'd mean they wouldn't even continue the study), but that's not what you said.  You said they were "eliminating the use of science" as part of the state's process.  And that's 100% false.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 02:40:07 PM »

But we know to expect Republicans, nobody expects the Inquisition.

old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »

Dear Jebus, what has happened to North Carolina??

I was so proud of them in 2008 when they voted for Obama and put in Kay Hagan. Since then it seems like the state has experienced a shocking veer to the right.

1) Bev Purdue has been a complete failure as a governor and has deeply disappointed democrats who voted for. Hey Bev! Last time I checked you're still governor for a few more months, so why not veto this turd of a bill? It's not like you have to worry about reelection.

2) GOP wins control of the legislature in I don't know how many years

3) North Carolinians vote their fears and overwhelmingly approve amendment one, single handedly denying basic rights to same sex couples as well as unmarried couples

4) That dumbass preacher says that gays should be corralled so they can no longer taint the rest of us.

5) and now this

Get it together tarheels

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2022, 03:00:02 PM »

(I'm posting in this decade-old topic for reasons that should be obvious.)

Two North Carolina beach houses collapse into Atlantic Ocean as seen in video
The two homes that collapsed Tuesday marked the third time a house was taken under by the surf. A Rodanthe house collapsed in similar fashion in February. A public meeting in March hosted by the National Park Service noted that up to nine additional homes in the area were on the verge of collapsing as a result of more than a decade of erosion on the shoreline.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2022, 03:08:47 PM »

Actions have consequences. Republicans are more interested in lining their pockets and then making excuses for why they didn't act after the fact. Blood on their hands... this is only the beginning.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies