August 1st, 2012 ia a "day that will live in infamy" Rep. Mike Kelly Says.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:35:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  August 1st, 2012 ia a "day that will live in infamy" Rep. Mike Kelly Says.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: August 1st, 2012 ia a "day that will live in infamy" Rep. Mike Kelly Says.  (Read 670 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/mike-kelly-birth-control-mandate_n_1729242.html

Criticizing President Barack Obama's health care reform law on Wednesday, Rep. Mike Kelly (R-Pa.) likened the requirement that private insurance plans provide contraception coverage to two of the most devastating attacks on American soil.

"I know in your mind, you can think of the times America was attacked," he said at a press conference on Capitol Hill. "One is Dec. 7, that's Pearl Harbor Day. The other is Sept. 11, and that's the day the terrorists attacked. I want you to remember Aug. 1, 2012, the attack on our religious freedom. That is a day that will live in infamy, along with those other dates."

Wednesday marked the first day private insurers must include birth control coverage without charging a co-pay in their plans, per requirements in the Affordable Care Act. The change will affect most women on private health plans, with some exceptions. More than a dozen Republican members of the House of Representatives, mostly freshmen, held a press conference to blast the law for what they said were violations of religious freedom.

Isn't this equivalent to those who were opposed to Bush's Iraq War because it was against their religion? I'm pretty sure the government has the right to spend the people's money and enact policies without concern for religion. I mean we can't have a system where each person is allotted a certain amount of government funding and that person decides who it will be used. The government in power gets to decide what to do regardless of how certain groups may feel about it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »

And I got infracted a while back for pointing out that the GOP is a troll party....
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »

Rep. Kelly should be infracted for excessive hyperbole.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »

I saw his rant on The Daily Show or The Colbert Report, forget which.  Apart from his gross, offensive exaggeration, his argument is utterly absurd.  Are religious women being forced to take birth control?   If not, I fail to see any argument to which religious freedom is being infringed upon.  That's really all I have to say on the matter.  The whole spiel he goes on is bizarre. 
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

Yeaaaaaaaah..................while I usually like Mike Kelly, this is a biiiiiiiiit of a stretch (sarcasm)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:19 PM »

What was do bad about Chick-fil-A Day?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:33:41 PM »

It was Lughnasadh, an un-American pagan holiday, you see.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies