Have you ever actually been persuaded/persuaded someone else in an argument?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:42:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Have you ever actually been persuaded/persuaded someone else in an argument?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes, I often change my opinion

Yes, I sometimes change my opinion

Yes, but I almost never change my opinion

No, I never change my opinion

Yes, I often sway other people

Yes, I sometimes sway other people

Yes, but I almost never sway other people

No, I never sway other people

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Have you ever actually been persuaded/persuaded someone else in an argument?  (Read 8281 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »

I persuaded half my school to join a cult I made up. Does that count?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2012, 08:32:05 PM by anvi »

Of course, I sometimes change my views.  I do my best to listen to others, take account of the evidence they offer or the arguments they make, and if they are persuasive, I can certainly be convinced of something I didn't initially believe or think.  

I have no idea how often I persuade others.  I can't tell how much I do so in the classroom, and I don't think I hardly ever do on Atlas.  I still like Atlas a great deal, because I can learn a lot from people here.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »

Yes to both, and I sometimes change my opinion but hardly ever persuade anyone.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 11:09:36 PM »

Yes, I have changed my opinions on many things. And I have the changed the opinions of many other people.

I've grown to solidly oppose the death penalty. I've grown to support the TARP bill. I grew to support the America Invents Act. I opposed the Medicare Modernization Act at first, but I eventually grew to support it. I've grown to support keeping the tax rates where they are. I've grown from being pro-choice to relatively centrist on the issue. I've grown from being pro-gay marriage to be completely apathetic/conflicted. I've grown to oppose the "Russian reset" policy. I've grown to oppose the Afghanistan surge. I've grown to oppose expanding gun control. I've grown to oppose Cap and Trade.

And of course, I've switched parties.

As for persuading, well, my ring of family friends has slowly morphed from 90/10 Democrat/Republican to 10/90. We used to have only two Republicans - we now have only three Democrats.

And again, on local politics, I've been persuaded and persuaded others many times. But then again, local politics is a lot less ideological. So it's to be expected.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »

I've grown from being pro-gay marriage to be completely apathetic/conflicted.

May I ask why? I'm about to get married to my partner and would be curious to know what made you become less supportive of them, not as an 'idea' (because gay marriage is no longer in the realm of theoretical) but as actual event taking place between two people. What is it about gay marriages that puts you off them? Do you think that now that people have financial and next of kin rights that these are bad things and should be taken away from them?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »

May I ask why? I'm about to get married to my partner and would be curious to know what made you become less supportive of them, not as an 'idea' (because gay marriage is no longer in the realm of theoretical) but as actual event taking place between two people. What is it about gay marriages that puts you off them? Do you think that now that people have financial and next of kin rights that these are bad things and should be taken away from them?

I think Gavin Newsom put it best in that gaffe the Prop 8 guys jumped on. "IT'S GONNA HAPPEN, WHILE YOU WANT IT OR NOT."

Looking at the demographics of how people view gay marriage, I've come to the conclusion that legalized gay marriage is inevitable in the United States regardless of what happens. If someone comes up to me and says "yo we're going to have a referendum on it", I'd probably vote in favor. But otherwise, I don't think/care about it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »

I think Gavin Newsom put it best in that gaffe the Prop 8 guys jumped on. "IT'S GONNA HAPPEN, WHILE YOU WANT IT OR NOT."

Looking at the demographics of how people view gay marriage, I've come to the conclusion that legalized gay marriage is inevitable in the United States regardless of what happens. If someone comes up to me and says "yo we're going to have a referendum on it", I'd probably vote in favor. But otherwise, I don't think/care about it.

I'm talking about actual marriages between people. I am a person about to commit to another; why go from support to indifference on that? I am not indifferent to other peoples marriages, to my parents or my friends. They all mean something.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »

I'm talking about actual marriages between people. I am a person about to commit to another; why go from support to indifference on that? I am not indifferent to other peoples marriages, to my parents or my friends. They all mean something.

Sorry if I may not have been clear in what I meant. What I'm trying to say is that in the past, a candidate's stance on gay marriage would be something I would take into account when voting for them. With what I understand about political demographics, it is no longer something I take into account because it seems like an inevitability, untethered to the success of politicians.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »

I would also like to expand on Vosem's comment. The core there is that information can move judgements, unless there is a stronger underlying belief. On subjects where one has a significant edge in knowledge and there is little personal involvement, debate can be very effective.

Your only missing one point - Vosem (and sjoyceflorida) mention that these simpletons they led astray trusted them.  Even the most ignorant person can be a good judge of character with a little life experience - for example, I should think that it would be obvious to most people they couldn't trust someone like Vosem, or sjoyceflorida, or Romney - even without knowing they were being lied to they could sense or suspect it. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »

Your only missing one point - Vosem (and sjoyceflorida) mention that these simpletons they led astray trusted them.  Even the most ignorant person can be a good judge of character with a little life experience - for example, I should think that it would be obvious to most people they couldn't trust someone like Vosem, or sjoyceflorida, or Romney - even without knowing they were being lied to they could sense or suspect it. 

I managed to get half of my English class to start a political chant today (Rom-Ney! Rom-Ney! Rom-Ney!). They're so apathetic, it's worrying.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »

I managed to get half of my English class to start a political chant today (Rom-Ney! Rom-Ney! Rom-Ney!). They're so apathetic, it's worrying.

Not sure apathetic is the word.  I think they must have some psychological problems or at least 'bad upbringing'.  After all, one may be a nihilist or too lazy to even consider anything, but anyone's 'gut', who has a 'gut', would know not to listen to the likes of you.  Don't you agree?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »

Not sure apathetic is the word.  I think they must have some psychological problems or at least 'bad upbringing'.  After all, one may be a nihilist or too lazy to even consider anything, but anyone's 'gut', who has a 'gut', would know not to listen to the likes of you.  Don't you agree?

What it seems to me is that they 'have bigger issues', like the Kardashians and such, to give a damn about anything political, and since I actually follow politics (I'm the only one who wears a 'Castor for Congress' shirt to school or anything) it seems like they're just "Okay, so he's good? Okay. I'll support him. Check out this music. Did you hear what happened with Carly Rae Jepsen?"
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »

What it seems to me is that they 'have bigger issues', like the Kardashians and such, to give a damn about anything political, and since I actually follow politics (I'm the only one who wears a 'Castor for Congress' shirt to school or anything) it seems like they're just "Okay, so he's good? Okay. I'll support him. Check out this music. Did you hear what happened with Carly Rae Jepsen?"

You go to school with the Kardashians?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »

Quite frequently. There are these things called "literature seminars".
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »

You go to school with the Kardashians?

With people who care about whatever they do.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »

Yes, I've gone from neo-con to libertarian to an Old Right sort of conservatism.

The only issue, I've managed to change someone on was pretty obscure; convincing someone about the proper remedy to my city's congestion problem. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies