Have you ever actually been persuaded/persuaded someone else in an argument? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:30:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Have you ever actually been persuaded/persuaded someone else in an argument? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes, I often change my opinion

Yes, I sometimes change my opinion

Yes, but I almost never change my opinion

No, I never change my opinion

Yes, I often sway other people

Yes, I sometimes sway other people

Yes, but I almost never sway other people

No, I never sway other people

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Have you ever actually been persuaded/persuaded someone else in an argument?  (Read 8316 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 09, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »

I was browsing another message board last time, and found myself engaging in yet another debate about homosexuality and gay marriage.  I argued with one person in particular about the philosophical aspects of the subject, paragraph after paragraph, for about three or four hours straight until he proclaimed that since he wasn't swaying anyone to his side, his time would be better spent sleeping, and ceased replying.  I find it rather common for me to be debating with someone about an issue, but even after plethoras of text walls and hours of sleep gone, neither me or the person on the other side of the issue nudge one bit, and the conversation takes off from there.  Then it is as if all the time and effort from both our parts to persuade the other were, in a way, completely wasted.

So this prompts me to ask- have you ever actually changed your or someone else's opinion on an issue through debating it?

I vote options 3 (the stubborn debater that I am) and 7.

I was trolling my boss's facebook with her cousin once about abortion. Great times. Ended the same way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies