Have you ever actually been persuaded/persuaded someone else in an argument? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:14:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Have you ever actually been persuaded/persuaded someone else in an argument? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes, I often change my opinion

Yes, I sometimes change my opinion

Yes, but I almost never change my opinion

No, I never change my opinion

Yes, I often sway other people

Yes, I sometimes sway other people

Yes, but I almost never sway other people

No, I never sway other people

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Have you ever actually been persuaded/persuaded someone else in an argument?  (Read 8317 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: August 03, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »

A discussion with a Christian in the street made me doubt the existance of god and set me on a journey.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »

I've grown from being pro-gay marriage to be completely apathetic/conflicted.

May I ask why? I'm about to get married to my partner and would be curious to know what made you become less supportive of them, not as an 'idea' (because gay marriage is no longer in the realm of theoretical) but as actual event taking place between two people. What is it about gay marriages that puts you off them? Do you think that now that people have financial and next of kin rights that these are bad things and should be taken away from them?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »

I've grown from being pro-gay marriage to be completely apathetic/conflicted.

May I ask why? I'm about to get married to my partner and would be curious to know what made you become less supportive of them, not as an 'idea' (because gay marriage is no longer in the realm of theoretical) but as actual event taking place between two people. What is it about gay marriages that puts you off them? Do you think that now that people have financial and next of kin rights that these are bad things and should be taken away from them?

I think Gavin Newsom put it best in that gaffe the Prop 8 guys jumped on. "IT'S GONNA HAPPEN, WHILE YOU WANT IT OR NOT."

Looking at the demographics of how people view gay marriage, I've come to the conclusion that legalized gay marriage is inevitable in the United States regardless of what happens. If someone comes up to me and says "yo we're going to have a referendum on it", I'd probably vote in favor. But otherwise, I don't think/care about it.

I'm talking about actual marriages between people. I am a person about to commit to another; why go from support to indifference on that? I am not indifferent to other peoples marriages, to my parents or my friends. They all mean something.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies