Are the VRA districts the modern version of "seperate but equal"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:44:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are the VRA districts the modern version of "seperate but equal"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are the VRA districts the modern version of "seperate but equal"?  (Read 2168 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 04, 2012, 12:05:04 AM »

Progressives, before your automatic "lolno" think about it for a moment.

I understand why it was created, but now a days it forces some ridiculous districts that wouldn't exist if not for the VRA. Now if a district was drawn in a way that it was compact and kept communities together while being majority-minority, that's great. But when cities are divided up so minorities and non-hispanic whites are in their own districts that in, my opinion, hurts the cause of equality. How can we seriously expect people to be treated as equals if we divide them into their own special districts without using some BS "separate but equal argument".

I know. "but but, they need representation!". This isn't 1960 anymore, currently a black man represents a white district in South Carolina, I repeat, a black man represents a white district in South Carolina, and a white (jewish?) guy represents Memphis etc. And those are good things, no people should feel obligated to vote for a person of the race that the VRA and the map makers expected them too.

The sooner we actually begin to treat others as equals, the sooner we can actually move closer towards equality. We need to draw lines in a way that communities stay together, not so that one group has one seat and another race has another.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:48:16 AM »

Some form of proportional representation would obviously be preferable.
You could never get it perfectly proportional short designating by that group A gets X amount of seats set garunteed, group B gets.. etc. But I would prefer moving closer to a world where race doesn't matter one way or another. And of course that world could never exist with VRA districts, regardless of if they're heart is in the right place.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »

Well, Louisiana is 32% Black; 2 VRA seats could be drawn giving Blacks 33% of the delegation. Pretty ideal as far as proportionality goes.

But the issue is, we are looking at it wrong. Democrats of all people especially shouldn't be looking at communities as _% white, _%black etc, it should just be that there are people, and the race shouldn't matter.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies