Are the VRA districts the modern version of "seperate but equal"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:08:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are the VRA districts the modern version of "seperate but equal"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are the VRA districts the modern version of "seperate but equal"?  (Read 2162 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 04, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »

Proportional representation based on race or ethnicity is a profoundly evil idea to me, that makes my skin crawl.

How about based on party?
I don't know that I like the system it inevitably creates.  Multiple parties to represent the different parts of society rather than two big tent parties is obviously a huge plus.  The downsides are twofold; a political system prone to huge swings, exacerbating rather than moderating economic or societal problems (as can be seen, for example, in Greece) and an inevitable strict party line, meaning all independent voices in government are shut out.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »

Proportional representation based on race or ethnicity is a profoundly evil idea to me, that makes my skin crawl.

How about based on party?
I don't know that I like the system it inevitably creates.  Multiple parties to represent the different parts of society rather than two big tent parties is obviously a huge plus.  The downsides are twofold; a political system prone to huge swings, exacerbating rather than moderating economic or societal problems (as can be seen, for example, in Greece) and an inevitable strict party line, meaning all independent voices in government are shut out.

Yeah, but it's a way to ensure everyone's vote is counting without doing racial gerrymandering. I mean have you people looked at MS exit polls? It's not as if this is some sort of settled issue.
I'm just holding out for a third way.  IRV seems like an obvious method, but that doesn't address the problem of districts.  Maybe an independent redistricting commission, like what they have in Iowa?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies