The White Vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:28:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The White Vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The White Vote  (Read 18485 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« on: January 23, 2005, 02:01:03 AM »

Washington really isn't that surprising.

Compare Seattle with other places that voted over 80% Kerry. They're either very black, a Native American reservation, poor, or at least majority0minority. But then you have a 70% white and wealthy city like Seattle voting 81% Kerry. I live in a rich, white, exurb, and Bush only got 50% of the vote. If it were in the South, it probably would've voted over 80% Bush. Some of the San Juan Islands had Nader get 6 times as many votes as Bush in 2000.

I would bet Oregon whites narrowly voted for Kerry.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 02:05:18 AM »

As far as exit polls by race are concerned, I'm a bit skeptical, because different states show very different results for Hispanics.

True, but samples for hispanics are not as large becuase there are less of them and therefore not as accurate.

Also, Cubans generally vote Republican and Mexicans generally vote Democrat, so a state like California where most hispanics are Mexican will have their hispanic population vote Kerry, and a state like Florida with its large Cuban population will have its hispanic population vote Bush.

And also, the reason the white vote in the Rocky Mountain states is so similar to the actual result is....Those states are very very white!! The South has the black vote to bring the total % for Bush. Most Rocky Mountain states are only 1% black, though, and the vast majority of voters are white.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 02:24:19 PM »

^I find it strange that Washington, with its relatively small minority populations, somehow managed to have a sufficient number of minorities respond so it showed up for every category....especially when it would seem other states have more people of a certain ethnicity, yet didn't have enough to have a result? As interesting as these exit polls are, they just can't be very accurate. Oklahoma's hispanics is suspicious...

Other probably includes Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, and maybe people who are mixed race.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 04:03:50 PM »

I would bet Oregon whites narrowly voted for Kerry.

CNN has it at Bush 50, Kerry 50.

Also NY whites only went for Bush 50-49.

So? You don't really think that in real life Bush and Kerry got exactly the same number of white votes in Oregon, do you?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 01:04:50 AM »

Of course not 'exactly' the same number. But, given the exit poll result, what makes you conclude one direction is more likely than another?

Cuz I live in the Northwest and overall, whites are liberal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies