Why did Maine vote for Hubert Humphrey?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:54:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Maine vote for Hubert Humphrey?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Maine vote for Hubert Humphrey?  (Read 1958 times)
soniquemd21921
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:44:57 PM »
« edited: August 04, 2012, 09:50:06 PM by soniquemd21921 »

In 1968 Nixon received 53% of the vote in Vermont and 52% in New Hampshire, but Maine gave Humphrey 55% of the vote! Then, four years later, Nixon won 64% in New Hampshire, 63% in Vermont and 61% of in Maine - which means all three states voted about the same.

What was up with 1968? I'm guessing it had to do with the fact that Edmund Muskie was the vice presidential candidate, and he was extremely popular here.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »

That's pretty much it, at least as far as I understand it.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »

That's pretty much it, at least as far as I understand it.

This.

And welcome to te forum, soniquemd.   Smiley
soniquemd21921
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 10:49:05 PM »

I used to think the "home state" effect only really applied to presidents, but I guess it can apply to vice presidential picks as well - e.g. Jimmy Carter carrying Minnesota twice because of VP Walter Mondale.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 11:12:33 PM »

It was just Muskie.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:33:05 AM »

The home state effect for running mates used to be a lot more relevant than it is now. Carter carried Minnesota twice because it was one of the most reliably Democratic states in the country at that time. It was McGovern's second-best state.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:51:53 AM »

I used to think the "home state" effect only really applied to presidents, but I guess it can apply to vice presidential picks as well - e.g. Jimmy Carter carrying Minnesota twice because of VP Walter Mondale.

Nate Silver looked into a bit. The vice presidential home state effect isn't as strong, but it is noticeable. Super popular incumbents (such as Muskie) can skew it even further.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »

I always thought it was probably because of Muskie.  If he hadn't been on the Dem ticket, my guess is that Nixon probably would have carried it, largely because he carried it in 1960 (but a lot of states switched from Nixon states in 1960 to Humphrey states in 1968 and from Kennedy states in 1960 to Nixon states in 1968).  I think Maryland, which was Spiro Agnew's home state (on the GOP ticket with Nixon) voted for Humphrey, too, however.  Interesting fact:  I have watched some of the Election Night 1968 coverage from NBC where Chet Huntley, after checking some of the scattered returns from Maine, stated that Wallace was leading there, when, in fact, Nixon was (and he didn't correct himself).  And speaking of Wallace, I find it interesting that Humphrey was able to carry Maine with Wallace splitting the Democratic vote (although Wallace probably wouldn't have been a very strong candidate there anyway.)  I think John Edwards was pretty popular as a Senator in North Carolina, but he couldn't deliver the state to John Kerry in '04.  Remember, too, that when Al Gore was the Dems' nominee for president in 2000, he lost in his own home state (Tennessee) as well as Clinton's home state (Arkansas).  If he had carried either of those states, he would have won (even without Florida).  Neither did Lloyd Bentsen help Dukakis carry Texas (but it was Bush I's home state anyway, so I have no idea why the Dems were under any impression that they would carry it).  I'd like to see more research on this, but this is based on what I've seen from looking at the election maps from various years.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »

And yet the same year Agnew couldn't carry Maryland for Nixon. But it was close.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else. It was Muskie.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »

3 words: Edmund Sixtus Muskie
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »

The home state effect for running mates used to be a lot more relevant than it is now. Carter carried Minnesota twice because it was one of the most reliably Democratic states in the country at that time. It was McGovern's second-best state.

Yeah, regionalism also used to be a lot stronger before the cultural impact of the Interstates really started to be felt. Cable TV and the Internet carried the process much further.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 03:17:28 AM »

We can all agree that it was Edmund Muskie's influence on the ticket. In 1968, it was quite an odd electoral year. Humphrey and Muskie were both very popular in their home states and thus won them. Nixon and Agnew both lost theirs. Nixon claimed New York as his home in 1968, not California.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies