British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:48:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires  (Read 2151 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »

I only visited Argentina for a couple of months, and the situation may have changed since April, but...

Argentineans are told constantly, in just about any available forum, that the Falklands are their territory. They are absolutely convinced that the islands are theirs, many without any kind of wriggle room in their heads. Las Malvinas Son Argentinas is probably the closest thing to a national motto they have.

CFdeK is certainly not the first to fan those flames, but she appears to be the most successful - more Argentineans believe that the islands are theirs now than  at any point in history. Perhaps is has something to do with her thrice-weekly hour-long speeches, all broadcast live and in full on every free to air station. Perhaps it has something to do with any media organisation daring to question the 'facts' being protested and frozen out.

Argentina is a great country, and their elections are genuinely democratic. But their governance is pretty clearly not, and whilst things are much better than they have been in the past, there is still a long, long way to come. Argentina will survive the bad and prosper from the good, but I know if I had a choice, I'd be investing in Chile, Uruguay or Brazil, and I think that as long as the current politicians maintain the flavour of government (and opposition) as it is, in relation to the Falklands and everything else, a lot of companies would agree with me.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies