Hey what ever happened to Metrification?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:45:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hey what ever happened to Metrification?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hey what ever happened to Metrification?  (Read 5171 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »

It's sold in pints, though there will be a litre measurement on the bottle as well.

Isn't a pint close to a half-litre, though?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »

It's sold in pints, though there will be a litre measurement on the bottle as well.

Isn't a pint close to a half-litre, though?

US and Imperial pints aren't the same size.  The imperial pint is 20% bigger than the US (wet) pint.

473.176473 mL = US wet pint
550.6104713575 mL = US dry pint
568.26125 mL = Imperial pint
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »

Yes, measuring height using the metric system is pretty difficult, same for shoe size. Europeans seem to love doing it, but it's really the only time I don't use the metric system.
While a hypothetical size 0 (European scale) shoe would actually have a length of 0 millimeters, the system is not metric.
The base mass unit was always intended to be the kilogram, so you might wonder why they didn't give it a name of its own.  They did, the grave, named after gravité, but the name was judged too similar to a title of nobility, so they axed the name, but kept the gram which had originated as a alternate name for the milligrave to be used with small quantities.  (Volume also had two base units, the litre and the stere which was equal to a kilolitre and expected to be used for such things as firewood, ore, or timber.)
Of course, neither problem exists in spoken language as noone calls kilograms anything but "Kilos". And people who deal with large quantities regularly measure them in "Kubik" (short for cubic metre, which is of course the same as a kilolitre. A litre being, technically, a cubic decimetre.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »

I really don't see why the metric system is so inherently superior in non-scientific use. That implies that when someone drive from one city to another they care about what fraction of the Earth's circumference they are driving.

In non-scientific use, it doesn't really matter.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:46 AM »

I really don't see why the metric system is so inherently superior in non-scientific use. That implies that when someone drive from one city to another they care about what fraction of the Earth's circumference they are driving.

The main advantage/disadvantage of the metric system is its consistent use of base 10 arithmetic.  (Usually an advantage, but not when you want to divide something by a multiple of 3 which is fairly common.  It's one reason why time remained with base 60 for the fractions of the hour.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 01:03:04 AM »

The main advantage/disadvantage of the metric system is its consistent use of base 10 arithmetic.  (Usually an advantage, but not when you want to divide something by a multiple of 3 which is fairly common.  It's one reason why time remained with base 60 for the fractions of the hour.)

For most daily stuff it doesn't matter - although it'd put an end to having to remember ounces to cups and pints and gallons conversions.  Other than that, there's not a huge amount of benefit either way in terms of length or speed for non-scientific purposes.  It doesn't matter if you measure yourself in centemeters or inches, and it doesn't matter if you measure speed in kmh or mph.

Although, metric-using meteorologists get a bit more leniency.  They're still given a couple degrees to be off before people start criticizing them, which turns into about 4 degrees in Farenheit.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 07:13:58 PM »

For most daily stuff it doesn't matter - although it'd put an end to having to remember ounces to cups and pints and gallons conversions.  Other than that, there's not a huge amount of benefit either way in terms of length or speed for non-scientific purposes.  It doesn't matter if you measure yourself in centemeters or inches, and it doesn't matter if you measure speed in kmh or mph.

Although, metric-using meteorologists get a bit more leniency.  They're still given a couple degrees to be off before people start criticizing them, which turns into about 4 degrees in Farenheit.

TBH, I never got the deal about the different degree sizes. You can't really tell a difference of one degree in either scale anyway.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »

TBH, I never got the deal about the different degree sizes. You can't really tell a difference of one degree in either scale anyway.

What do you mean "the deal about the different degree sizes"?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »

I mean, folks talk about how the smaller degree size in Fahrenheit is more convenient (like Ernest earlier in this thread). Except, one degree makes no difference either way. So it doesn't really matter.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:46 PM »

I mean, folks talk about how the smaller degree size in Fahrenheit is more convenient (like Ernest earlier in this thread). Except, one degree makes no difference either way. So it doesn't really matter.

It's more convenient if you want to be precise (although if you're being precise, you probably have a digital thermometer going to at least a tenth of a degree).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42:10 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 12:44:04 AM by shua, gm »

I really don't see why the metric system is so inherently superior in non-scientific use.

It's just simpler and more intuitive.

Do you know off the top of your head how many feet make up half a mile, and how many meters make up half a kilometer? Which one is simpler to do in your head when needed?
2640. The math isn't hard. But conversion isn't the most important part of measurement. Units should be valuable in themselves.  I have an idea of how long half a mile is in experiential terms in a way that I don't for half a kilometer, so changing to metric length units would take a considerable mental and even kinesthetic adjustment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

3 teaspoons in a tablespoon. Again, the main importance here is that teaspoons and tablespoons are things people use anyway in real life. I don't know off hand how many tablespoons are in a fluid once, but the others I've known since I was in kindergarten and it's not difficult if you take the time to learn it and will save you a lot of trouble. Fluid measurements are based on multiples of 2: 8 floz in a cup, 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon. Doubling an object (as opposed to multiplying an abstract number) is much easier than multiplying an object by ten (is there even a word for that? double quintupling?).
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 12:54:53 AM »

Hah!  Tell that to my thermostat.  Partly it's because it's in the central hallway well away from all the windows, I have to adjust it constantly during the day. (What it needs setting to depends on time of day, how sunny it is, and the humidity,)  It's not uncommon for one degree F to be the right adjustment and two degrees F (approx 1 degree C) to be too much.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 09:07:01 PM »

Hah!  Tell that to my thermostat.  Partly it's because it's in the central hallway well away from all the windows, I have to adjust it constantly during the day. (What it needs setting to depends on time of day, how sunny it is, and the humidity,)  It's not uncommon for one degree F to be the right adjustment and two degrees F (approx 1 degree C) to be too much.

Must be a Southern thing, then. I've only ever set my thermostat to one of two things: 70 degrees and off. It has always gotten the job done.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 03:03:25 AM »

Must be a Southern thing, then. I've only ever set my thermostat to one of two things: 70 degrees and off. It has always gotten the job done.

This house could really use a dehumidfier to keep the humidity constant.  However, I never set the thermostat as low as 70. Today it was set to 80, which is fairly low because of the high humidity and clouds.  On dry sunny days, I'll set it as high as 86.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2012, 02:02:37 AM by Emperor PiT »

This house could really use a dehumidfier to keep the humidity constant.  However, I never set the thermostat as low as 70. Today it was set to 80, which is fairly low because of the high humidity and clouds.  On dry sunny days, I'll set it as high as 86.

I've always found that anything above 70 degrees is not conducive to productive activity. 80 degrees is absurdly hot, and rare enough that I can't even say what I would do in that eventuality.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 04:33:14 AM »

That's 30 C.... if we did that here, the heater would be on for almost the entire year.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 07:29:46 PM »

That's 30 C.... if we did that here, the heater would be on for almost the entire year.

The thermostat is a poor location, and this house has some interesting temperature gradients to say the least.  Actual air temp in the rooms I try to keep in the 78 to 80 range in the summer. Around 26 C.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »

Under that temperature I wear a sweater. But, at least, Farenheit uses decimal divisions.
Dealing with non-metric units is like reading Greek or Cyrilic for me. It's very weird having divisions which are not decimal parts of a unit. It seems senseless.

For natural measuring I still rather metric. Puting one thumb or one foot behind the other (I saw an American doing this once) is just dull. But almost anyone here learns to make a 1m step, which is much more useful, and knows the size of one's hand span, so even then you can measure faster than knowing imperial units.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 12:28:20 PM »

Metric units become common in the US when two things are true: there's a market-based reason to use metric units, and the public is sufficiently exposed to the units to have an intuitive feel for them. As someone who uses and teaches measurement, I can say that both metric and imperial are equally arbitrary systems, but that's a different debate.

The liter as a unit of volume came into the US decades ago for beverage containers. The 2-liter bottle replaced the half-gallon for soft drinks, and the 750 ml bottle replaced the fifth for liquor. Today if you ask some one if they want a liter of water most Americans would have no trouble answering that question with a good understanding of what they would get. Note that unlike soft drinks and liquor, milk doesn't have an international market and it's still sold in imperial units.

OTOH, there's no equivalent international market for temperature in consumer products. Thus the first prong of my test has never been established. News organizations and other media can co-list C and F but, unless the public has a reason to consume something that is only denominated in C, the second prong isn't going to happen. And since the two systems are equally arbitrary from a consumer standpoint there's no reason to switch.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »

I find that in Canada there is a strong correlation between people's everyday use of metric and whether you normally get the information from a government source. Thus road signs for both distance and speed are exclusively in km, and thus miles are pretty uncommon even in everyday conversation, while people still measure themselves in feet or pounds. Weather is always exclusively C, since most media ultimately get their forecasts from the national Meteorological Service, and younger people often have no intuitive sense of F weather at all, while temperature in cooking is still mostly F since the market for ovens and cookbooks is private and integrated with the US. I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't seem to break down this way in the UK, particularly with the roads.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies