Shooting, hostage-taking at Wisconsin Sikh temple (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:51:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting, hostage-taking at Wisconsin Sikh temple (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shooting, hostage-taking at Wisconsin Sikh temple  (Read 4503 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: August 05, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »

I just saw this thread. This is awful. I can't imagine what there is about Sikhs to possibly hate, and I hope the bastard who did this is brought to a swift and lifelong justice so he can sit and stew and think about what he's done.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »

I just saw this thread. This is awful. I can't imagine what there is about Sikhs to possibly hate, and I hope the bastard who did this is brought to a swift and lifelong justice so he can sit and stew and think about what he's done.

He was shot dead by police.

In that case I hope he is suffered to do so in whatever afterlife might await him.

I don't know what made me think they caught him alive. That's almost never how these things go.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:16:56 AM »

Sbane has more or less posted what I was thinking... except one thing, why do these happen in your country much more than anywhere else? This is a very serious question so I am eagerly awaiting the inevitable moment when this thread gets derailed into yet another pointless debate about weapons access.

They don't. This is what happens elsewhere. Here in America we shoot the perp dead.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-police-sikh-shootings-20120806,0,4837148.story

Sadly, I don't have to wonder. On May 28th 2010, four gunmen entered two mosques in Pakistan and started shooting at a slew of worshipers belonging to the members of my community, the Ahmadiyya Muslims (which the Pakistani government classifies as a religious minority)

In Pakistan, the media broadcasted live images of the gunmen shooting at worshipers while the police stood by the sidelines. The pundits partly held the victims responsible for "provoking" the attacks by practicing their faith while reactions from Ahmadiyya Muslims went unreported. The attacks left the nation divided at best and united at worst — united in disparaging the Ahmadiyya Muslims, that is.

You're comparing us to Pakistan.

You're setting the bar for favorable comparison in the ground, you know.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »

Sbane has more or less posted what I was thinking... except one thing, why do these happen in your country much more than anywhere else? This is a very serious question so I am eagerly awaiting the inevitable moment when this thread gets derailed into yet another pointless debate about weapons access.

They don't. This is what happens elsewhere. Here in America we shoot the perp dead.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-police-sikh-shootings-20120806,0,4837148.story

Sadly, I don't have to wonder. On May 28th 2010, four gunmen entered two mosques in Pakistan and started shooting at a slew of worshipers belonging to the members of my community, the Ahmadiyya Muslims (which the Pakistani government classifies as a religious minority)

In Pakistan, the media broadcasted live images of the gunmen shooting at worshipers while the police stood by the sidelines. The pundits partly held the victims responsible for "provoking" the attacks by practicing their faith while reactions from Ahmadiyya Muslims went unreported. The attacks left the nation divided at best and united at worst — united in disparaging the Ahmadiyya Muslims, that is.

You're comparing us to Pakistan.

You're setting the bar for favorable comparison in the ground, you know.

Hmm? Who compared what to what? If you think that such things happen only here, you certainly have not been paying much attention to the rest of the world.

Or should I mention what happened in Norway last year?

You don't have to, because I'm aware of it. The fact remains that for some reason you chose Pakistan as your basis for comparison despite obviously being aware of other countries that are actually Western democracies also, at least at face value, demonstrating the point you wanted to make.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies