A really, really, really bad analogy.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:03:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  A really, really, really bad analogy.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A really, really, really bad analogy.  (Read 2634 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
« edited: August 05, 2012, 11:31:21 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

This forum is like a school. There are Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. Then, of course, we have the teachers. And finally, there is our great principle, David Leip.

My personal experience has always had a light called respect to guide me. I take status, post count, and seniority on this forum seriously. Perhaps too seriously. Some posters have been here for many, many years, and our a pillar to the forum. Polnut, Torie, Comrade Sibboleth, Bacon King, Antonio, Opebo, and so on….these posters are what I would consider to be the “teachers”.

When I think of “Senior” level posters, I think of Nathan, Redalgo, Cathcon, 20RP12, SJoyceFl, etc, etc. They are relatively new, but are some of the best, most informed, thoughtful, and intelligent posters we have.

Next we have the Juniors. I belong here. My posts are not particularly bad, in my opinion, but they certainly are not good. Nor are they long, thought out, and rarely do they contribute to the forum. I can be annoying-remember my White Nationalist phase?-and of course, there also is my “Confederate nostalgia”, my conspiracy theories, the time I wished Jimmy Carters death (which is odd because I actually like him personally and always have) and my rambling, religious based posts. But, I always have been consistent, and honest in my views, and have always treated people here the way they treat me-respectfully. I didn’t even start posting in the Off Topic-Forum Community sections until I got over a 1,000 posts, because I felt I was too new to be tangling with the big boys.

The Sophomore posters are…there are none.

Now on to Freshies! High School Freshmen, and keep in mind, I was one last year, are annoying, cocky, and nowhere near as intelligent as your typical senior in most cases. I can say the same about a couple of our newer, right wing posters. You know who you guys are.

I once overheard two juniors at my school joking about us Freshmen in the hall last year. One of them made the comment-“why cant they all just get [inks]ing expelled?” This line is relevant for the first time in my life as I watch the condition of this forum slightly (it is not that bad) deteriorate in recent weeks. Why don’t we just expel these troubled “students?”

For starters, most expelled students have to go through the school board, who reviews their case. And that is what we need here-a school board. We need a group of veteran posters who should review new posters along with the moderators on who gets to stay and who gets to go. Not all of the new, blue avatar posters are trolls…just most of them Tongue

So, I am I right? wrong? crazy? incredibly stupid? A little bit of each?  
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:45:51 PM »

Wait, if juniors are neutral and freshmen are bad, does that leave anything for sophomores?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:48:28 PM »

20RP12 [...] informed, thoughtful, and intelligent...

haha you just made my night
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:52:08 PM »

Wait, if juniors are neutral and freshmen are bad, does that leave anything for sophomores?
I could not think of a "Sophomore" poster off the top of my head. I would think Politico and Winfield might fit there. They are not trolls, not at all, but they are mega Romney hacks, and don't really try to contribute to the forum.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:31:22 AM »

Winfield's been here a long time, though, hasn't he? I think he might be analogous to a teacher who interprets getting tenure as a blank check to not care any more, although he has made valuable contributions as well, notably in Atlasia.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:32:51 AM »

In before the "The mods are the bullies" jokes.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:47:23 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2012, 01:49:25 AM by Senator Seatown »

Well at least the title of the thread is correct. I was going to talk about how this is a terrible terrible analogy, but the title of the thread makes it pointless, well I guess I'll give you that you are honest. I'll say one thing, you have the eyesore of RP2012, generally positive posts from him mean something is out of order.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 02:35:07 AM »

Oh wow. I've been here longer than a couple of the "teachers." I guess I'm that teacher that never shows up to class and just lets the kids snooze in the background.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 06:36:43 AM »

Oh wow. I've been here longer than a couple of the "teachers." I guess I'm that teacher that never shows up to class and just lets the kids snooze in the background.
One of many.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 08:19:27 AM »

I had never imagined a poster would ever consider me as a "pillar to the forum". I greatly appreciate the compliment, but honestly, my name has nothing to do with the likes of Al and Bacon King.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 08:20:42 AM »

Now now, it begins with the same letter as Al's and features as many n's as Bacon King's.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »

The first post here demonstrates how badly the original poster has to go back to "Atlas School." Antonio and Polnut haven't been here long compared to real Forum legends that you left out yet you list them as teachers. And the people you have listed as "Seniors"...are you kidding, son? Your post proves just how sad this place has become. Oh, how I miss The Golden Era...

P.S. - It's "principal," not "principle" in this context.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 09:19:03 AM »

Some of the best seniors have long since departed.......Gabu, MODU, dazzleman, and the list goes on.....god those were good days Smiley
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »

I'll say one thing, you have the eyesore of RP2012, generally positive posts from him mean something is out of order.

lol?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »

When I think of “Senior” level posters, I think of Nathan, Redalgo, Cathcon, 20RP12, SJoyceFl, etc, etc. They are relatively new, but are some of the best, most informed, thoughtful, and intelligent posters we have.

I'm flattered of course. While some of us may indeed have thoughtful and intelligent posts, we don't necessarily have seniority around here. I count SJoyce as relatively new, I'm pretty sure both Redalgo and Jake/Carl arrived here during my stay. I myself only came here in October 2010, a little before you came as I recall. The only person mentioned there that I would say has been here reasonably long (and this is only from my perspective and thus means "longer than me") to qualify as a senior would be Nathan, but you'll have to hear his opinion on that. I still view myself as "young" compared to some people who'd been well in place before I came here. (from the perspective of a person who came here to read timelines, the examples would be Mechaman, Kalwejt, and Dallasfan65. However, I'm pretty sure they aren't forum "legends" in the sense of having been here since like '04)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »

Did anyone else read "Frenchman" too ?

BTW, I'll probably be a teacher then and a Junior. Because for Senior you probably had to be around for the 2004 elections ...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »

BTW, I'll probably be a teacher then and a Junior. Because for Senior you probably had to be around for the 2004 elections ...

Apparently I'm a Senior and I've been around for almost 4 months now, so...
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »

Now on to Freshies! High School Freshmen, and keep in mind, I was one last year, are annoying, cocky, and nowhere near as intelligent as your typical senior in most cases. I can say the same about a couple of our newer, right wing posters. You know who you guys are.

Am I one of the 'new, right wing posters' whose 'annoying' and 'cocky'?  Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »

Am I one of the 'new, right wing posters' whose 'annoying' and 'cocky'?  Sad
No, actually, not at all. I was specifically thinking that Supersonic is NOT one of those guys, actually Tongue.

The first post here demonstrates how badly the original poster has to go back to "Atlas School." Antonio and Polnut haven't been here long compared to real Forum legends that you left out yet you list them as teachers. And the people you have listed as "Seniors"...are you kidding, son? Your post proves just how sad this place has become. Oh, how I miss The Golden Era...

P.S. - It's "principal," not "principle" in this context.
Damn you spell check! Look, everyone is misunderstanding my point. My point was about the whole Oakvale thread, though I really did not want to bring that up. The fact is, we have some really great posters who have been here since the mythical "Golden Era" who are leaving because of some of these newer posters.

Did anyone else read "Frenchman" too ?

I would think that to be around in 2004 would make you a "teacher". This thread=epic fail on my part.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies