What kind of election night would you prefer in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:54:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What kind of election night would you prefer in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What kind of election night would you prefer in 2012?
A very close and exciting night.

A night where your candidate wins easily.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: What kind of election night would you prefer in 2012?  (Read 3241 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »

A relatively quick night where Obama pops off 180+ EVs east of the Mississippi before 11PM, so I can get my drink on and go relieve myself outside the local Republican HQ.

That and the bragging and rubbing it in on Facebook.

Remember the parties going on everywhere when he won last time? I can't imagine it'll be anything like that this time.

Obama 2008 is like "Caddyshack" whereas Obama 2012 is "Caddyshack II."

Brace yourselves!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2012, 09:55:38 AM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Wow, that's really cool. How's the weather on November 6th?

Not going to be a 100 degrees in Iowa, just like Romney is not going to be winning California or Connecticut.

It was only eight years ago when a mere five points taken from the Democrats and given to the Republicans would have put California in the GOP column. If Romney is declared president-elect when the polls close in the Midwest, a lot of Obama supporters in California will leave their polling station or not bother going out to vote at the last minute. The perfect storm could put California in the Romney column.

Here. Romney won every single state that could possibly be interpreted as a swing state, including a few he simply will not win (Wisconsin, Michigan, ME-02). You still can't call it till you get to Montana.

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »

I want the only questions being whether Michigan and Connecticut, states like that, are going to Romney. In other words, I want this over as soon as the polls close in the Midwest. I want it to be such a landslide that enough Democrats in California go home before the polls close there that Romney pulls off the upset.

Of course, Election Night and the Super Bowl are the only real must-see TV events.
Michigan, yes.  Connecticut and California, no.  Michigan is a swing state, but all the indications are that the election will be close, so they will probably stay in Obama's column.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »

A relatively quick night where Obama pops off 180+ EVs east of the Mississippi before 11PM, so I can get my drink on and go relieve myself outside the local Republican HQ.
You're not planning on doing something special for election night?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »

There's literally no way that the election can be called for Mitt Romney in time for it to affect the morale of Obama voters in California unless he somehow wins by like 20 points.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »

I want the only questions being whether Michigan and Connecticut, states like that, are going to Romney. In other words, I want this over as soon as the polls close in the Midwest. I want it to be such a landslide that enough Democrats in California go home before the polls close there that Romney pulls off the upset.

Of course, Election Night and the Super Bowl are the only real must-see TV events.

Politico, please take some medication now. You're going to need plenty of it by Nov. 6.

As to me, polls close at 7:00: Vermont, Virginia called for Obama...landslide from there...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »

It seems Illinois will also close at 7 ET, so Romney won't get that early lead.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 04:55:31 AM »

Remember the parties going on everywhere when he won last time? I can't imagine it'll be anything like that this time.

Brace yourselves!

I'm inclined to think it's more like The Godfather Part 2 and Part 3; Part 3 is actually still considerably better than most films, just undeniably disappointing relative to Part 2.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 07:55:48 AM »

Illinois usually closes at 8 ET.  Are they thinking about changing it for this election?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 10:01:56 AM »

Illinois usually closes at 8 ET.  Are they thinking about changing it for this election?

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G12/closing.phtml?format=gc
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »

Why'd they do that? So the polls are going to close at 6 their time? That makes no sense.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:31 PM »

Why'd they do that? So the polls are going to close at 6 their time? That makes no sense.

It costs money to keep the polls open later.  Illinois has both early voting and no-excuse absentee voting, so there is no particular need to keep the polls open late.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »

It costs money to keep the polls open later.  Illinois has both early voting and no-excuse absentee voting, so there is no particular need to keep the polls open late.

So basically, if you're a "low information voter" who just plans on voting right after you get out of work, you're screwed.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »

So basically, if you're a "low information voter" who just plans on voting right after you get out of work, you're screwed.

How many of those are there? It's not as if you'll be able to learn anything about the candidates while at work.  Besides, it not the voting booths that get locked at closing time but the doors.  Anyone working a traditional 9 to 5 job will still be able to get to the polls in time to vote even if they do decide to procrastinate.  It's possible that they'll ding some people this time who didn't notice the change in the closing time despite what I would expect to be heavy media coverage of the change.

Besides, for all we know Illinois may have also decided to open the polls an hour earlier, tho I doubt that.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 09:55:38 PM »

Serious answer: B. I'd be content with the excitement that might accompany close Senate elections in, say, Arizona and North Dakota.

Not-so-serious answer: Rocks fall, everyone dies. I'd totally do it if I were DMing this campaign.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 10:14:45 PM »

Brace yourselves!

I'm inclined to think it's more like The Godfather Part 2 and Part 3; Part 3 is actually still considerably better than most films, just undeniably disappointing relative to Part 2.

That would make Kerry/Edwards 2004 The Godfather, which means your analogy is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »

There's literally no way that the election can be called for Mitt Romney in time for it to affect the morale of Obama voters in California unless he somehow wins by like 20 points.

If Michigan, Ohio and Florida are called for Romney after closing, going to the polls to vote for Obama in California will be a complete waste of time.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2012, 10:49:24 PM »

And like I said, none of those states are going to be called for Romney right after closing unless he wins in a landslide.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »

Wow, that's really cool. How's the weather on November 6th?

Not going to be a 100 degrees in Iowa, just like Romney is not going to be winning California or Connecticut.

It was only eight years ago when a mere five points taken from the Democrats and given to the Republicans would have put California in the GOP column. If Romney is declared president-elect when the polls close in the Midwest, a lot of Obama supporters in California will leave their polling station or not bother going out to vote at the last minute. The perfect storm could put California in the Romney column.

Here. Romney won every single state that could possibly be interpreted as a swing state, including a few he simply will not win (Wisconsin, Michigan, ME-02). You still can't call it till you get to Montana.

Add Ohio and you're there.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2012, 10:54:57 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2012, 11:00:52 PM by Politico »

And like I said, none of those states are going to be called for Romney right after closing unless he wins in a landslide.

Not literally after closing, but they will make a projection 20-30 minutes after closing if the models show a huge probability of a greater than five point victory. If I recall correctly, Ohio was called just after 6 PM PST last time. If that happens this time for Romney, hundreds of thousands of folks voting after work in California will already know that Romney is president-elect.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2012, 11:00:28 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2012, 11:02:19 PM by fezzyfestoon »

I'm honestly hoping for a pretty convincing Romney win. I think that in itself would set people off in a way that rocks this f[Inks]ed up system enough to make a mild change at least in the short-run. Enough to make things amusing. A reelection would just be a disappointment in this cracked out political system at this point. That and my Romney-hack mode just won't die. Tongue
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »

Quite frankly, I'm tired of being on edge 100% of the time over elections. I wouldn't constantly worry about it if one of the major parties wasn't so singularly bad. So I'd prefer a relaxing election night in which the better candidate wins easily. (The way things are going, he probably will.)

I shouldn't even have to be fighting this, but 1994 normalized extremism. America has not been the same since, and somebody needs to tell the truth about it.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »

Tight one as I'm not personally vested in the election.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies