Opinion of Enoch Powell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:09:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Enoch Powell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of Enoch Powell
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Opinion of Enoch Powell  (Read 4358 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2012, 12:37:37 AM »

This should be interesting.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:54:59 AM »

Arch-HP, though an unusually interesting one.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »

What a strange and interesting man. HP for being a racist and hating America.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »

Agreed. Fascinating that he was a friend of Tony Benn, who seems like a natural arch-nemesis to him in terms of political views, at least from my viewpoint over the pond.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »

Agreed. Fascinating that he was a friend of Tony Benn, who seems like a natural arch-nemesis to him in terms of political views, at least from my viewpoint over the pond.

Having personal friends from the very other side of the spectrum is not so unusual in politics. To use more recent example: Barack Obama and Tom Coburn.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:02:06 AM »

Eh. Members of the tiny minority in Parliament that is actually capable of independent thought are going to be attracted to each other. Even if the results are less than stellar advertisements for independent thought.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »

Awful.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »

Brought out the worst in British society. HP.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 01:41:51 PM »

Massively horrible person.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »

A true Freedom Fighter.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »

Something of an FF on economics and NI but overall major HP.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »

HP.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »

Couldn't have put it better. Even looked liked a stereotypical Hollywood English villain.

Watching footage from the CBC archive the other day, and in their report about Bloody Sunday they asked various MPs and he was one of them. His response was fairly characteristic (at around the 10 minute mark).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:47 PM »

A true FF. He was indeed a mega racist, but I admire his ability to speak his mind, even when it cost him. I think Rivers of Blood was a racist, hateful speech attacking Africans (many of whom were British to begin with, seeing as they came from the various colonies) living in Britain, but the context of it (that a national heritage was at risk of being lost instead of the immigrants assimilating) was and is great a great warning to all people in all countries that their cultures are at risk.

I think the speech is highly worth reading, regardless your opinion of Enoch Powell.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »

On the one hand his racism and race-baiting does have to be seen in context (by the standards of Midlands Tories he wasn't even particularly racist; Frank Griffin - leader of Birmingham City Council in the late 1960s - once proposed officially segregating new housing developments in the city according to 'race', to say nothing of other Black Country Tories like the charming Peter Griffiths and the delightful John Heydon Stokes) but on the other he was rather articulate and helped to make racism respectable in the Midlands, at least for a couple of decades.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »

A true FF. He was indeed a mega racist, but I admire his ability to speak his mind, even when it cost him. I think Rivers of Blood was a racist, hateful speech attacking Africans (many of whom were British to begin with, seeing as they came from the various colonies) living in Britain, but the context of it (that a national heritage was at risk of being lost instead of the immigrants assimilating) was and is great a great warning to all people in all countries that their cultures are at risk.

I think the speech is highly worth reading, regardless your opinion of Enoch Powell.

I fail to imagine a way for these two attributes not to be mutually exclusive. At least not for a 20th century figure.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »

I fail to imagine a way for these two attributes not to be mutually exclusive. At least not for a 20th century figure.
I suppose the part I bolded was your point; I was going to argue the whole Lincoln/White Supremacy thing (which is not proven). Even in the 20th and 21st centuries, many of our leaders are racist, but they, for political purposes, do not allow their own bias to influence decisions. It is more common than you would think, but just being called racist is automatic death in American politics these days.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »

Couldn't have put it better. Even looked liked a stereotypical Hollywood English villain.

I think the unfortunate Ewart Biggs had him beat in caricatured English villain look.

My opinion of Powell is low.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »

I suppose the part I bolded was your point; I was going to argue the whole Lincoln/White Supremacy thing (which is not proven). Even in the 20th and 21st centuries, many of our leaders are racist, but they, for political purposes, do not allow their own bias to influence decisions. It is more common than you would think, but just being called racist is automatic death in American politics these days.

My point still stands. If a contemporary personality is proven a racist, there is no way I can consider it a good person.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 07:53:06 PM »

On the one hand his racism and race-baiting does have to be seen in context (by the standards of Midlands Tories he wasn't even particularly racist; Frank Griffin - leader of Birmingham City Council in the late 1960s - once proposed officially segregating new housing developments in the city according to 'race'

Wrong Birmingham, lol.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »

A villain that possesses all the qualities I'm inclined to hate.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 01:32:56 AM »

Racist = HP.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 02:01:55 AM »

Now that we have a conversation going (which seems to have a consensus of at least some kind) I'd like to say that I entirely agree with Lewis Trondheim's assessment. He's the sort of person you want played by Christopher Lee in a biopic or something.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »

Better than Tony Benn or Harold Wilson.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »

Are you sure he didn't simply define the type?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies