Al Sharpton as an independent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:47:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Al Sharpton as an independent
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Al Sharpton as an independent  (Read 9994 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2003, 06:55:44 PM »

I could be completely off-base, but something tells me that Al Sharpton is going to run as an Independent in the general election.  I think he wants to replace Jesse Jackson as the nations foremost civil rights leader and I think he's willing to do pretty much anything to do it.

My guess is that he'll make a big stink about Democrats taking advantage of black voters and then announce that he's going to run to give black voters a "voice".

I don't really have any evidence to base this on.  It's just a hunch.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 06:59:53 PM »

Interesting idea, but Jackson didn't run as an independent, so if he really wants to become the "black spokesperson" he'd be better off following Jackson's lead and working within the 2 party system, and trying to help the Dem nominee. Jackson didn't really like Mondale or Dukakis all that much but he ultimately endorsed them, and Sharpton will do the same to whomever the Dem nominee is even if he doesn't much care for him.
jravnsbo

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 10:24:19 AM »

So how did Sharpton do on SNL, I got a steve martin rebroadcast as it was blacked out here.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 11:25:13 AM »

Sharpton has said that he will not run as an independent the only dem who might get nominated by a different party would be Dennis Kucinich who has already been endorsed by the Natural Law Party however it won’t really be a third party run as Kucinich would not break with the Democratic Party it would be similar to when Ron Paul the Texas Republican got the Libertarian Party’s nomination in 1988 or was it 84?  

Besides Sharpton does not have the financial muscle to launch a nationwide campaign and the notion that a man who has just raised only $55,000 in the 3rd Quarter can garner 6% of the vote as someone on this board suggested is just laughable. In November all the anti-Bush factions will support the Democrats meaning that the third parties will do very badly in the end the election will come down to a handful of battleground Midwestern states and 3 to 5 million voters.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 12:21:06 PM »

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 04:23:42 PM »

Good call
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 05:24:07 PM »

That would have been interesting at least.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 05:32:16 PM »

This was a hot topic of discussion in June 2003 at the old board:

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/leip/ikonboard//topic.cgi?forum=11&topic=60

Wow, I was stupid.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 09:31:45 PM »

Was?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 02:51:22 AM »

I could be completely off-base, but something tells me that Al Sharpton is going to run as an Independent in the general election.  I think he wants to replace Jesse Jackson as the nations foremost civil rights leader and I think he's willing to do pretty much anything to do it.
I think he's already achieved that goal.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 10:22:50 AM »

There was certainly a point when it seemed quite likely.  Esspecially on the eve of the Democrat convention when they would not allow Sharpton to deliver the speech he wanted.  However, he choose to defy them at the podium, rather than the ballot box.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 06:33:07 PM »

Too bad Sharpton turned himself into the punch line of so many jokes.he does have some good ideas but no one takes him seriously.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 07:18:40 PM »

Too bad Sharpton turned himself into the punch line of so many jokes.he does have some good ideas but no one takes him seriously.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 08:01:17 PM »

Too bad Sharpton turned himself into the punch line of so many jokes.he does have some good ideas ....

such as?

In any case, he's worse than a joke.  A man who would knowingly promulgate false rape charges against a man he knew to be innocent, when a rape never took place, in order to whip up racial hatred is truly a hateful and reprehensible individual.  I don't see anything funny about that.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 08:16:05 PM »

Too bad Sharpton turned himself into the punch line of so many jokes.he does have some good ideas ....

such as?

Such as "the only reason anything bad ever happens to black people is because they're black" and...well...that's pretty much it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 08:44:34 PM »

such as?

Such as "the only reason anything bad ever happens to black people is because they're black" and...well...that's pretty much it.

That about sums it up for Fat Al.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 08:03:11 AM »

He did bring up a few good issues, actually.  http://www.4president.org/brochures/alsharpton2004.pdf

He was one of the few candidates to bring up the death penalty as a main point in his campaign, as well as the D.C. statehood issue.  Although I do disagree with him that education and healthcare are human rights.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 02:27:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He did bring up a few good issues, actually.  http://www.4president.org/brochures/alsharpton2004.pdf

He was one of the few candidates to bring up the death penalty as a main point in his campaign, as well as the D.C. statehood issue. 
well, the less educated you are on a person, the quicker you are to jump and attack them. *cough*dazzleman*cough*
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 07:22:12 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2005, 08:14:35 PM by dazzleman »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He was one of the few candidates to bring up the death penalty as a main point in his campaign, as well as the D.C. statehood issue. 
well, the less educated you are on a person, the quicker you are to jump and attack them. *cough*dazzleman*cough*

I hate to break it to you, but most people who like and support him are very, very stupid.  I didn't say that before, out of deference to people who like him, but since you have taken a position of typical false liberal pretension in questioning my dislike of that horrible man, I feel compelled to point out the truth plainly.

In any case, what makes you think educated people like him?  Most people I know are very well educated, and not a single one likes him.  The only white people who like him are hypocritical liberals who are completely divorced from any semblance of reality.  If you think intelligent and educated people like him, then you live in an alternate universe.  Even intelligent and educated black people can't stand him.

And BTW, I don't agree with him on the death penalty, or DC statehood either.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 09:30:04 PM »

Google Search: Tawana Brawley

Granted Shapton is a comical and talented speaker, but he's a slimeball of a human being.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 09:55:51 PM »

Google Search: Tawana Brawley

Granted Shapton is a comical and talented speaker, but he's a slimeball of a human being.

^^^^^^^^^^^
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 01:28:42 AM »

The line on him was that no (Black) women will vote for anyone that spends more time doing his hair than they do.  :-)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 05:56:31 AM »

The line on him was that no (Black) women will vote for anyone that spends more time doing his hair than they do.  :-)

Smiley Tongue  There may be truth to that.  I know black women who absolutely loathe him.  Maybe that's why. Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 05:58:50 PM »

Smiley Tongue  There may be truth to that.  I know black women who absolutely loathe him.  Maybe that's why. Smiley

I heard this from my 30 something landlady, who is Black.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 01:31:01 PM »

He could come in second place in DC.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies