The Great American Ironies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:25:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Great American Ironies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Great American Ironies  (Read 5936 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »

Ah, this thread is unfortunate.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 11:52:57 AM »

That's probably fake.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »

The reality is worse.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »

Perhaps the greatest irony of all: blacks vote 90% Democrat, when the Democrats fought consistently throughout history against their freedom and equality and Republicans who fought for it.

Yes, it's quite ironic that blacks today care more about economic issues and which President had the Civil Rights Act passed than what positions the parties took in the 19th century. Roll Eyes
Those positions continues into most of the 20th century.  Johnson was an outspoken racist who only signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act because of public support for it.  Shortly after signing the bill, he was reported to have said to a group of Southern governors, "I'll have those nig**rs voting Democrat for the next 200 years."  He opposed nearly every civil rights bill before that, including voting againstthe 1957 Civil Rights Act and fighting to make it nothing but a nominal piece of legislation that meant little in reality.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »

Perhaps the greatest irony of all: blacks vote 90% Democrat, when the Democrats fought consistently throughout history against their freedom and equality and Republicans who fought for it.

Yes, it's quite ironic that blacks today care more about economic issues and which President had the Civil Rights Act passed than what positions the parties took in the 19th century. Roll Eyes
Those positions continues into most of the 20th century.  Johnson was an outspoken racist who only signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act because of public support for it.  Shortly after signing the bill, he was reported to have said to a group of Southern governors, "I'll have those nig**rs voting Democrat for the next 200 years."  He opposed nearly every civil rights bill before that, including voting againstthe 1957 Civil Rights Act and fighting to make it nothing but a nominal piece of legislation that meant little in reality.

Fine. We're not in 'most of the 20th century' any more.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 11:21:13 PM »

Al, you know I love you, but do you ever really say anything at all any more?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 02:14:52 AM »

Al, you know I love you, but do you ever really say anything at all any more?

Only when there's something worth saying, as a general rule.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »

True, but the history still matters.  Remember, "those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."  It's partially because of this history that I am a proud Republican.  And please don't give me these excuses like, "the segregationist Democrats all became Republicans" or "Republicans pandered to racists in the Southern strategy."  The only major segregationist to switch from Democrat to Republican was Strom Thurmond, and the Southern Strategy was an attempt to convince pro-civil rights Southern moderates to vote Republican as a protest against the segregationist policies of the Democrats:
 http://www.wnd.com/2002/12/16477/

This is an article by Pat Buchanan, the author of the Southern strategy, that covers this subject.
But I'm glad you mention economic issues.  The Democratic Party promotes a victim mentality for blacks to accept and that makes them dependent on the government for help.  In fact, FDR, the first Democratic presidential candidate to win a majority of the black vote (in his first reelection in 1936), promoted the New Deal to blacks with the slogan, "let Jesus lead me and welfare feed me."  Not only is this victim mentality racist, but it is the antithesis of true civil rights, which says that anyone regardless of race, sex, religion, ethnicity, etc. can succeed on their own because of the principle enshrined by our Founding Fathers in the Declaration of Independence that "all men are created equal."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »

the Southern Strategy was an attempt to convince pro-civil rights Southern moderates to vote Republican as a protest against the segregationist policies of the Democrats:

Jesus H. Christ.

Look, precious few people in the last 40 years are willing to come out and state "Hey, I'm exploiting racism to advance my candidate's career!" Pat Buchanan is one of the few people in public view shameless enough to parade his racism around, and even he knows he has to pretend he doesn't mean it. The idea that the Southern Strategy was an enlightened civil rights-based approach is just... so... impossible to deal with.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2012, 02:55:18 PM »

True, but the history still matters.  Remember, "those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."  It's partially because of this history that I am a proud Republican.  And please don't give me these excuses like, "the segregationist Democrats all became Republicans" or "Republicans pandered to racists in the Southern strategy."  The only major segregationist to switch from Democrat to Republican was Strom Thurmond, and the Southern Strategy was an attempt to convince pro-civil rights Southern moderates to vote Republican as a protest against the segregationist policies of the Democrats:

1. No.
2. Regardless of who did and didn't individually switch, those people are no longer in the Democratic Party.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, thinking of welfare as exclusively or even necessarily primarily a 'black thing' is racist, but whatever.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »

Welfare is not only a black thing, but Democrats through their campaigning to blacks, have made it appear as one.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2012, 03:18:17 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

the Southern Strategy was an attempt to convince pro-civil rights Southern moderates to vote Republican as a protest against the segregationist policies of the Democrats:

Jesus H. Christ.

Look, precious few people in the last 40 years are willing to come out and state "Hey, I'm exploiting racism to advance my candidate's career!" Pat Buchanan is one of the few people in public view shameless enough to parade his racism around, and even he knows he has to pretend he doesn't mean it. The idea that the Southern Strategy was an enlightened civil rights-based approach is just... so... impossible to deal with.
In Nixon's first inaugural address (1969): he spoke out in strong support for civil rights at least twice.  He appointed more racial minorities than any of his predecessors (including LBJ), increased the civil rights enforcement budget, sped up the rate of school desegregation in the South, and much more.  It would have made no sense for Nixonnto go after the white racists in 1968 because the vast bulk of those voters were already supporting George Wallace.  (Interesting tidbit: in three of the five Wallace states, Hubert Humphrey beat Nixon for second, and in all of the Nixon states in the South, Wallace and Humphrey's combined total exceeded Nixon's, suggesting that Wallace was splitting the Democratic vote.)

1. No.
2. Regardless of who did and didn't individually switch, those people are no longer in the Democratic Party.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, thinking of welfare as exclusively or even necessarily primarily a 'black thing' is racist, but whatever.
None of those people are in the Democratic Party anymore because most of them are dead.  But for the sake of it, segregationist Ernest "Fritz" Holings (SC) was serving in the Senate as a Democrat as recently as 2004.  In 1993, he made a reference to African potentates at the Law of the Sea conference getting "a good square meal in Geneva" instead of eating each other.  He also has referred to Mexicans as "wetbacks" and a Jewish Senator as "the Senator from B'nai B'rith."  He never became a Republican (or a member of any other party, for that matter.)  Senator Robert Byrd (WV), a former Kleagle in the KKK who helped lead the filibuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, used the term "white nig**r" in a 2001 interview on Fox News.  At the time of his death in 2010, he was still one of the Senate's leading Democrats.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »

Welfare is not only a black thing, but Democrats through their campaigning to blacks, have made it appear as one.

Actually no, that was Republicans through their campaigning against welfare.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »

Actually no, that was Republicans through their campaigning against welfare.
The Dems did the same thing in the 1930s with the "let Jesus lead me and welfare feed me" slogan.  I support welfare as long as it makes people independent rather than dependent.  Anyway, I would like to get back on topic, please.  I have another irony: in 1932, Hoover lost every state outside the Northeast.  Now the Northeast tends to lean more Democrat in presidential elections.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »

The last former slaveholder to become President was Ulysses S. Grant.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »

From which gutter do all these mindless, mindless, mindless cretins crawl out of?

Also, as I hinted at earlier, Americans need to learn what irony means in order to defeat unfair stereotypes.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »

When was he a slaveholder? 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but African Americans are disproportionately recipients of welfare programs. If you for instance were to for cut government subsidized housing, the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world would be out screaming racism since blacks would be disproportionately affected. Likewise many Democrats assume that requiring voters to show a photo ID is racist because it would disproportionately affect African Americans. By this logic it is racist to say more blacks are on welfare but not racist to say more blacks are unable to afford a photo ID.

I'm just saying it goes both ways.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but African Americans are disproportionately recipients of welfare programs. If you for instance were to for cut government subsidized housing, the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world would be out screaming racism since blacks would be disproportionately affected. Likewise many Democrats assume that requiring voters to show a photo ID is racist because it would disproportionately affect African Americans. By this logic it is racist to say more blacks are on welfare but not racist to say more blacks are unable to afford a photo ID.

I'm just saying it goes both ways.

More blacks are on welfare as a percentage of blacks, but more whites are on welfare as a percentage of welfare recipients (then again, there are a lot more whites than blacks in contemporary America).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »

When was he a slaveholder? 

When he lived in Missouri (a slave state) on his father-in-law's farm.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »

In fact, FDR, the first Democratic presidential candidate to win a majority of the black vote (in his first reelection in 1936), promoted the New Deal to blacks with the slogan, "let Jesus lead me and welfare feed me."

Care to provide a cite for your claim?  All I have been able to find is that it was indeed a Depression-era slogan, but one coined by blacks themselves in thanks for no longer literally starving.  I came across nothing to indicate it was a party-invented slogan, let alone one used by FDR himself.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies