North Carolina PPP: Obama 49 Romney 46
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:06:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  North Carolina PPP: Obama 49 Romney 46
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: North Carolina PPP: Obama 49 Romney 46  (Read 1171 times)
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_NC_080712.pdf
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »

Party ID is 45D/33R%. If this is a likely voter poll, then that's a bit skewed. Party turnout in 2008 was D+11. Hard for me to see NC having higher Dem turnout this fall then it did four falls ago (or then it ever has since exit polls were taken).
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »

Party ID is 45D/33R%. If this is a likely voter poll, then that's a bit skewed. Party turnout in 2008 was D+11. Hard for me to see NC having higher Dem turnout this fall then it did four falls ago (or then it ever has since exit polls were taken).

Actual Party Registration in NC is Dem 43 Rep 31, I see no problem with the Party ID in this poll.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »

True, but this poll isn't of registered voters.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 11:44:13 AM by pepper11 »

Female + 8???  Surely there can't be that many women in NC. You would think getting gender at least close to even would be straightforward. Not with PPP.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:47:23 AM »

Female + 8???  Surely there can't be that many women in NC. You would think getting gender at least close to even would be straightforward. Not with PPP.

2008 was 54 Female 46 Male, so...
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »

What evidence is there that likely voters are significantly more Republican registered voters? Any difference is likely to be very slight and make little difference on the top line.

BTW If you want to nitpick the crosstabs you could also say the poll is to old and to white.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »

What evidence is there that likely voters are significantly more Republican registered voters? Any difference is likely to be very slight and make little difference on the top line.

BTW If you want to nitpick the crosstabs you could also say the poll is to old and to white.

I believe FiveThirtyEight is currently estimating, using historical data, about Republican +3 in LVs versus RVs.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »

2008 was 54 Female 46 Male, so...

And Nationally it was 53 Female 47 Male.  Female +8 is reasonable and even if you adjust it down a couple of points it barely changes the top line.

MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 11:59:03 AM by MorningInAmerica »

I'm pointing out that the poll assuming higher Democratic turnout than in 2008. How did you not get that out of my original post? There have been plenty of polls that indicate Democratic enthusiasm is down from 2008, not to mention that 2008 was a stand-out, record breaking year for Democrats to begin with (see the chart in this article: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/morning-jay-are-polls-skewed-toward-obama_648770.html). That is why I find polls that indicate higher Democratic turnout than 2008 to be a bit suspicious. Now what evidence do you have that Democratic turnout will be GREATER this fall than four years ago?
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »

History... lol

Adults are more D than RV, RV are more D than LV...
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »

I'm pointing out that the poll assuming higher Democratic turnout than in 2008. How did you not get that out of my original post? There have been plenty of polls that indicate Democratic enthusiasm is down from 2008, not to mention that 2008 was a stand-out, record breaking year for Democrats to begin with (see the chart in this article: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/morning-jay-are-polls-skewed-toward-obama_648770.html). That is why I find polls that indicate higher Democratic turnout than 2008 to be a bit suspicious. Now what evidence do you have that Democratic turnout will be GREATER this fall than four years ago?

a bit ? lol
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »

I'm pointing out that the poll assuming higher Democratic turnout than in 2008. How did you not get that out of my original post? There have been plenty of polls that indicate Democratic enthusiasm is down from 2008, not to mention that 2008 was a stand-out, record breaking year for Democrats to begin with (see the chart in this article: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/morning-jay-are-polls-skewed-toward-obama_648770.html). That is why I find polls that indicate higher Democratic turnout that 2008 to be a bit suspicious. Now what evidence do you have that Democratic turnout will be GREATER this fall than four years ago?

I did say significantly more Republican. A point or two one way or the other in the crosstabs is just statistical noise
pepper11
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »

I'm pointing out that the poll assuming higher Democratic turnout than in 2008. How did you not get that out of my original post? There have been plenty of polls that indicate Democratic enthusiasm is down from 2008, not to mention that 2008 was a stand-out, record breaking year for Democrats to begin with (see the chart in this article: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/morning-jay-are-polls-skewed-toward-obama_648770.html). That is why I find polls that indicate higher Democratic turnout that 2008 to be a bit suspicious. Now what evidence do you have that Democratic turnout will be GREATER this fall than four years ago?

I did say significantly more Republican. A point or two one way or the other in the crosstabs is just statistical noise

Statistical noise would not always lean dem, as it does with ppp.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »

Possibly. But there's a big difference between PPPs D+12 and 2004s R+1 in North Carolina (when, by the way, party registration was 46% D, 34% R, same net difference as the numbers you pointed out from 2008). http://www.app.sboe.state.nc.us/webapps/voter_stats/results.aspx?date=01-01-2005
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »

Possibly. But there's a big difference between PPPs D+12 and 2004s R+1 in North Carolina (when, by the way, party registration was 46% D, 34% R, same net difference as the numbers you pointed out from 2008). http://www.app.sboe.state.nc.us/webapps/voter_stats/results.aspx?date=01-01-2005

In some states you will see party id's closer in line with the 2004 #'s, than the 2008 #'s.  A state like NC though I think you will see it more in line with 2008 than 2004.  While turnout advantages might be down with some groups, keep in mind you still have the transplant influx.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 12:26:21 PM »

Well it looks like North Carolina is still a tossup, which is surprising. I expected it to be at least Romney +5.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »

How many times does PPP have to prove itself for some people to stop questioning its results?
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »

How many times does PPP have to prove itself for some people to stop questioning its results?

Stop questioning their results? Isn't that kind of like saying "just blindly believe"? When is that healthy to do to any polling firm? But since you asked, this is why I question PPPs results: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/calculating-house-effects-of-polling-firms/

Note that this article is from June 2012, just a few weeks ago, thus  much more recent than Nate Silver's July 2010 and November 2010 rankings.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »

Stop questioning their results? Isn't that kind of like saying "just blindly believe"? When is that healthy to do to any polling firm? But since you asked, this is why I question PPPs results: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/calculating-house-effects-of-polling-firms/

Note that this article is from June 2012, just a few weeks ago, thus  much more recent than Nate Silver's July 2010 and November 2010 rankings.

But house effects are not necessarily bad things? PPP having a Democratic house effect (which is just the firm's lean in comparison to the collective polling average) works to its benefit when the polls skew too Republican--Nevada/Colorado/Illinois 2010 races, etc. In most of the competitive statewide races in 2010 the Republican lead was overstated. I don't see why this would necessarily be much different in 2012, considering PPP's solid track record especially when compared to the highly schizophrenic Rasmussen results, but we shall see.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »

Lol, PPP is at it again.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 01:18:35 PM »

Nobody with half a brain (or more) is disputing that North Carolina is a swing state. And considering this poll is within the margin of error...
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »

Nobody with half a brain (or more) is disputing that North Carolina is a swing state. And considering this poll is within the margin of error...

Nobody said either. It's merely an observation, based on real results in Wisconsin and PPP's polls in Iowa, Colorado, Michigan, to name a few, that PPP is putting out polls 4-5 points to the left of others consistently.

Why? You tell me.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »

Note that this article is from June 2012, just a few weeks ago, thus  much more recent than Nate Silver's July 2010 and November 2010 rankings.

But house effects are not necessarily bad things? PPP having a Democratic house effect (which is just the firm's lean in comparison to the collective polling average) works to its benefit when the polls skew too Republican--Nevada/Colorado/Illinois 2010 races, etc. In most of the competitive statewide races in 2010 the Republican lead was overstated. I don't see why this would necessarily be much different in 2012, considering PPP's solid track record especially when compared to the highly schizophrenic Rasmussen results, but we shall see.

This is from the actual article I posted: The philosophy of the model is simply to strip most of the house effect out of the poll. So a Public Policy Polling survey that showed Barack Obama ahead by seven points in Colorado would be treated as more like a four point lead for Mr. Obama once its house effect is accounted for.

How is that not directly applicable here?
xavier110
United States
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »

This is from the actual article I posted: The philosophy of the model is simply to strip most of the house effect out of the poll. So a Public Policy Polling survey that showed Barack Obama ahead by seven points in Colorado would be treated as more like a four point lead for Mr. Obama once its house effect is accounted for.

How is that not directly applicable here?

That's only confirming that according to polling averages, PPP skews Democratic so the model treats it as such. But polling averages can be wrong, and in the most recent swing polling of 2010/2008--the polling averages often tilted too Republican and lowballed Democratic numbers.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies