Hollande's proposed tax hikes may drive businesspeople from France.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:58:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hollande's proposed tax hikes may drive businesspeople from France.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Hollande's proposed tax hikes may drive businesspeople from France.  (Read 3152 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »

Always to be immediately replaced by other ruling classes, which generally treated the People much, much worse than their predecessors.

So?  Rise up and kill them too.  The only alternative to slavery is death in battle, more or less.

This must be a parody......please!

That's what I said, but then it turned out that Sean Hannity was actually a real person.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

Always to be immediately replaced by other ruling classes, which generally treated the People much, much worse than their predecessors.

So?  Rise up and kill them too.  The only alternative to slavery is death in battle, more or less.

This must be a parody......please!

That's what I said, but then it turned out that Sean Hannity was actually a real person.

True enough.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »

Eh, opebo grows on you. His views might or might not, but he tends to, at least in a 'horrible person who Atlas Forum could not collectively suspire without' sort of way.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »

First off: other people having more money than you isn't slavery, we've already been over this. And if the second sentence was completely, 100% true in all cases, then what's the f**king point of dying in battle?

Eh, opebo grows on you. His views might or might not, but he tends to, at least in a 'horrible person who Atlas Forum could not collectively suspire without' sort of way.

It's really remarkable how he does it but others with awful views tend not to.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 10:09:40 PM »

I think you'll agree with me in saying that the idea of a Revolution in the US or most other Western countries is 'beyond the horizon', that is, very obviously not happening any time soon, and that they have no reason to fear the guillotine. Thus such a compromise has no potential benefit for ... 'ruling class'.

You're quite right!  The slaves are well under control, and there is little hope.  However in theory it is possible the controllers could be hurt in some way, some day.  After all the fact remains that there have been revolutions, and ruling classes have been slaughtered/forced into exile before.

Always to be immediately replaced by other ruling classes, which generally treated the People much, much worse than their predecessors. Also, not sure what it has to do with the topic at hand, but for some reason I feel the need to mention that several of my ancestors fought for the Red Army in the Russian Civil War.
I hope the two aren't connected, alternate timeline without red victory in Russia would be a very bleak one for the world.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 11:09:33 PM »

I think you'll agree with me in saying that the idea of a Revolution in the US or most other Western countries is 'beyond the horizon', that is, very obviously not happening any time soon, and that they have no reason to fear the guillotine. Thus such a compromise has no potential benefit for ... 'ruling class'.

You're quite right!  The slaves are well under control, and there is little hope.  However in theory it is possible the controllers could be hurt in some way, some day.  After all the fact remains that there have been revolutions, and ruling classes have been slaughtered/forced into exile before.

Always to be immediately replaced by other ruling classes, which generally treated the People much, much worse than their predecessors. Also, not sure what it has to do with the topic at hand, but for some reason I feel the need to mention that several of my ancestors fought for the Red Army in the Russian Civil War.
I hope the two aren't connected, alternate timeline without red victory in Russia would be a very bleak one for the world.

I'd have to agree with you that the Russian Civil War was one of those incidences where the communists were on the side of good, on the basis that communism is better than fascism. Obviously capitalism is much better than any form of communism (I know you disagree with your theory that nobody wanted to leave the USSR).
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 01:10:21 AM »

I'd have to agree with you that the Russian Civil War was one of those incidences where the communists were on the side of good, on the basis that communism is better than fascism. Obviously capitalism is much better than any form of communism (I know you disagree with your theory that nobody wanted to leave the USSR).
I don't think that's what I implied, I said less people wanted to leave "communist" USSR than "capitalist" Russia.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 03:06:11 AM »

The Russian Civil War meant Communism won instead of Social Democracy. There wasn't much of a fascist side involved in it.

Anyway, while high tax rates can make people move, that's not the main reason this is a stupid idea.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2012, 03:16:21 AM »

I don't think that's what I implied, I said less people wanted to leave "communist" USSR than "capitalist" Russia.

Except Tsarist Russia wasn't really capitalist.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »

The Russian Civil War meant Communism won instead of Social Democracy. There wasn't much of a fascist side involved in it.

Er, the various White groups were all generally fascist to varying degrees. The social democrats in Russia itself generally fought for the Reds before realizing they might have made a mistake (the most famous such realization is the Kronstadt uprising, of course).
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »

alternate timeline without red victory in Russia would be a very bleak one for the world.

WHAT DID YOU SAID
SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

Except Tsarist Russia wasn't really capitalist.

He might be referring to current capitalist Russia. Which is likely not sufficiently capitalist for many or most Western standards either, but...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies