DC Area/Heart+Mind Strategies: Obama leads in DC and MD suburbs, tied in NoVa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:28:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  DC Area/Heart+Mind Strategies: Obama leads in DC and MD suburbs, tied in NoVa
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DC Area/Heart+Mind Strategies: Obama leads in DC and MD suburbs, tied in NoVa  (Read 2356 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »

Editor's Note: The D.C. metro phone survey was conducted among 550 adults age 18 and over, between July 26 and July 29, 2012.

This included representative samples of 200 people in Virginia (Arlington, Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Stafford) 250 in Maryland (Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, Frederick, Montgomery, Prince George's and 100 in D.C.

DC: 83-11 Obama

MD: 65-22 Obama

NoVa: 48-46 Obama

http://www.wtop.com/120/2984147/Obama-Romney-in-NoVa-dead-heat
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »

Obama's gonna have to do better than that in NoVa.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »

This poll left out the independent cities in Virginia, where Obama blows the competition away.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »

This poll left out the independent cities in Virginia, where Obama blows the competition away.

Yeah that's what I suspected. The poll is highly doubtful.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »

MOE on 200 is +/- 7%, too.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:10:51 PM »

Yeah polls of 200 people are basically useless.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »

Yeah that's what I suspected. The poll is highly doubtful.

It only excludes Fredricksburg, Alexandria and Manassas. Even excluding those cities, you would really expect Obama to at least have a 10 point lead in NOVA. The high margin of error is worth noting though.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »

There has been quite the liberal push back on poll number today. Must be a changing tide for Romney.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »

There has been quite the liberal push back on poll number today. Must be a changing tide for Romney.

Are you trying to be a joke poster?
pepper11
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

Have you seen the thread on the colorado poll with Romney ahead? Ever dem on the board is trashing it.  There were no such outcries when pew had a national pol with GOP at 18%.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »

He is a joke poster.

Also, LOL at outfits that poll counties and "regions"
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »

It only excludes Fredricksburg, Alexandria and Manassas. Even excluding those cities, you would really expect Obama to at least have a 10 point lead in NOVA. The high margin of error is worth noting though.

Alexandria is quite large, and the area has more independent cities than just those 3.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »

Have you seen the thread on the colorado poll with Romney ahead? Ever dem on the board is trashing it.  There were no such outcries when pew had a national pol with GOP at 18%.

Lolno. Try again:
Junk.

Wasn't Pew ranked as the worst pollster on Nate Silver's house effect thing?
No... Obama is probably 2-3% ahead and has been for the last 3 months...
Sample includes 32% Dem, 18% GOP

Biases are slowly starting to become more blatant.

This isn't even bias, it has to be a bad joke...
This isn't a good poll.

krazen's 'the Democrats are the party of =/=well-off white establishment, and this is somehow a bad thing and also they are somehow exclusively so' narrative isn't good either, but we shouldn't mistake that for the poll being good.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »

As a Person just pointed out, the only one who said that poll was even remotely plausible was the troll Bandit who typically claims to think normal polls are skewed roughly 10 points too Republican.

You are an idiot or a troll. Either way, you've been added to my ignore list.  (I used to have a short ignore list, then 2012 happened.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »

Anyway, should we consider adding the DC subsample to the database?  Granted, a 10% MoE poll in normal circumstances shouldn't be entered, but we're not likely to get many, if any, better polls for DC.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »

Anyway, should we consider adding the DC subsample to the database?  Granted, a 10% MoE poll in normal circumstances shouldn't be entered, but we're not likely to get many, if any, better polls for DC.

Do we really need DC polls in the database?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »

Do we really need DC polls in the database?

It might help those wondering whether to put Obama the 80% decile or the 90% decile in their predictions.

Anyway, entered:
https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2012/polls.php?action=indpoll&id=1120120729106
timothyinMD

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2012, 07:09:11 PM by timothyinMD »

Alexandria is quite large, and the area has more independent cities than just those 3.

Falls Church and Fairfax have 14 people in them.  Ain't gonna help much

This is such a weird poll.  Who just polls a metro area?  Anne Arundel and Calvert are not DC metro, neither is Spotsylvania
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 08:01:23 PM »

Why are we so sure this poll excludes the independent cities?  Simply because the editor's note did not laboriously list them?  I don't think so. And when the poll was conducted, if someone said they were from Alexandria, the poll would exclude them, when purporting to poll NOVA? Really?  Please connect the dots guys. It seems ludicrous to me. Sure maybe the pollsters are nutters, but you guys will need a smoking gun to make your case here, like some admission from them that that is exactly what they did, because they are in fact nuts. Thank you.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 08:03:16 PM »

Why are we so sure this poll excludes the independent cities?  Simply because the editor's note did not laboriously list them?  I don't think so. And when the poll was conducted, if someone said they were from Alexandria, the poll would exclude them, when purporting to poll NOVA? Really?  Please connect the dots guys. It seems ludicrous to me. Sure maybe the pollsters are nutters, but you guys will need a smoking gun to make your case here, like some admission from them that that is exactly what they did, because they are in fact nuts. Thank you.

It doesn't explain the inclusion on rural areas in the Maryland part.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 09:45:15 PM »

This poll sucks, move along.
Craigo
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »

The story "laboriously" noted the seven counties of NoVa they polled. If you want to argue that the cities were included, the burden of proof is on you.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »

The story "laboriously" noted the seven counties of NoVa they polled. If you want to argue that the cities were included, the burden of proof is on you.

Really?  If that is your ruling, I think I am going to have to file a writ of mandamus with the appellate court.

Circumstantial evidence just isn't your thing is it?  Hi, I am calling for the Perfect Polling People ("PPP") to ask if you plan to vote for POTUS this year, and if so for whom, and by the way, please tell me also where you live. I live in Alexandria. Oh, you live in Alexandria? I feel so sorry for you. No, we don't want your worthless little opinion, because you live in an independent city, and those suck, and if we had our way, you would not be able to vote at all. Have a nice day.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »

I agree with Torie.  The idea that they explicitly ignored the independent cities, or somehow forgot to include them, seems unrealistic, even if the copy is vague.
Craigo
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »

I emailed the author of the story for a clarification, specifically asking if Alexndria, Fredericksburg, etc. had been polled. She repeated the list of counties, and said "Those are the designated areas we are told where the polling took place."

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies