Am I the only one who hates the lack of polling in safe states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:20:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Am I the only one who hates the lack of polling in safe states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Am I the only one who hates the lack of polling in safe states?  (Read 2049 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »

It's frustrating to me that states that are considered "safe" never get polled for almost any election. I understand that it's a bit of a waste of money because you know 3/4s of the time who will win, but pollsters won't even check to let us know by how much a candidate of the "safe" party is winning, or if there's a particular event that changes the whole race.

What I guess I'm saying is that I'd like to be polled more here in Utah, and I'd like to have a shorter update than 4-6 months between polls. The pollsters refuse to poll any race besides the Utah 4th congressional, and I'd like them to actually try polling, if only for the principle of the thing. Where's the gubernatorial polls? Where's the senatorial polls? Heck, the SL County Mayoral race is supposed to be rather close for Utah and I haven't seen any polls since before the primary!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »

Occasional updates would be nice. Mississippi has a nasty tendency to get polled about once per cycle.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »

Occasional updates would be nice. Mississippi has a nasty tendency to get polled about once per cycle.

The once a decade Census is all we need to know.....
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »

Well, that was an example. There are plenty of underpolled states that are not racially balkanized to the extent that Mississippi is.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:44:03 PM »

I don't think there's ever more than one poll for any Utah election besides the ones with Jim Matheson in them.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »

Everyone was just assumed the Personhood Amendment was going to pass overwhelmingly (even the non-hackish right wing blogs in Mississippi thought it would get over 70%), until someone finally polled it and showed it close.  It ended up failing.

Sometimes conventional wisdom is just plain wrong, even in Mississippi.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »

Indeed, for a while I thought the era of surprise victories and such were being brought to an end with the excessive polling be done. But now, it seems that the polling is declining in both quality and quantity and being confined back to just the big headline races. Is lack of money the reason for this?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 08:02:42 AM »

The problem with polling in safe states is finding someone to pay for the poll. Polls are paid for by campaigns or by the media. Campaign polls for districts in safe states happen all the time, but only get covered when the campaign lets the info out. Those polls will often include the top of ticket races to help the campaign judge coattails and crossovers. Media polls look for the story so they make focus only on a region or set of competitive districts that will interest their audience. They may also include the top race for comparison with the local districts featured in the story.

The bottom line is that polls are expensive and that investment has to be worth something to someone to commission the poll.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »

The problem with polling in safe states is finding someone to pay for the poll. Polls are paid for by campaigns or by the media. Campaign polls for districts in safe states happen all the time, but only get covered when the campaign lets the info out. Those polls will often include the top of ticket races to help the campaign judge coattails and crossovers. Media polls look for the story so they make focus only on a region or set of competitive districts that will interest their audience. They may also include the top race for comparison with the local districts featured in the story.

The bottom line is that polls are expensive and that investment has to be worth something to someone to commission the poll.

Well yes, but can't they even just do basic, cheap polling? Part of the reason safe states are safe are because pollsters fulfill their own prophecies by not polling the states, so that possible strong donors and candidates never get in because they assume that it's a done deal, and after that happens, the pollsters go "hey it's safe, no need to poll".

It's incredibly frustrating.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 04:55:04 AM »

You always can pay for one.

I mean, they don't do polls for love.
tokar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.87, S: -6.87

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 04:12:44 AM »

I do agree. It would be nice to see a few polls in safe states.

It was nice to see the recent poll in Tennessee. While the Presidential race is R+25 according to the poll, I was really curious to see where the Senate race was at since it was very close in 2006.  R+38...heh.

Same deal in Nebraska. The three recent polls there show Romney +14.3 (average), but the Senate race has become surprisingly close, average R+2.66 (average).

However, it shouldnt take a Senate race to force a poll. Some of these house races are very close in these states. Would be nice to see some pollsters poll the downballot races and as a result give presidential polls. Wishful thinking...
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 03:40:27 AM »

It was nice to see the recent poll in Tennessee. While the Presidential race is R+25 according to the poll, I was really curious to see where the Senate race was at since it was very close in 2006.  R+38...heh.

Yeah, but have you read about the Dem nominee?
tokar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.87, S: -6.87

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 04:47:03 AM »

Yeah, but have you read about the Dem nominee?

Never heard of the guy (Mark Clayton). His website looks like it was made 10 years ago. No wonder he is down 35 points.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 06:51:33 AM »

Yes, you are.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »

I would like more polling in safe states such as Utah or Oklahoma.  The voters in safe states are just as important as the voters in swing states.
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »

I would like more polling in safe states such as Utah or Oklahoma.  The voters in safe states are just as important as the voters in swing states.

The electoral college system says otherwise. Sad
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »

Very true, someone has to be willing to pay for it. The only reason California gets polled so much is because there are several large media markets who are willing to pay for it, although the numerous initiatives are another reason.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies