Young Republicans Show the Way Forward for the GOP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:56:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Young Republicans Show the Way Forward for the GOP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Young Republicans Show the Way Forward for the GOP  (Read 2323 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: August 13, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »

Roll Eyes to the whole thing. They'll soon learn that they should either lose the Repubs or their values, cause those two things are mutually exclusive. You can't have a social conscience and vote Republican, it will never, ever work.

Really?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »

Roll Eyes to the whole thing. They'll soon learn that they should either lose the Repubs or their values, cause those two things are mutually exclusive. You can't have a social conscience and vote Republican, it will never, ever work.
Really?

Can you honestly tell me that you feel completely morally at peace voting for Republicans? Keep in mind that this is coming from an ex-Republican point of view, not just some loony lefty with a vendetta.

Oh I understand where you are coming from; that is why I commented. If it had been a standard issue liberal Dem I would not have.

Yes, I am morally at peace.  It is a matter of how you weight issues. I do vote for Dems from time to time however, because I find the Pub unfit. There are some aspects of the Dem party, with which I would think more folks than they do would find raises issues of conscience - such as secondary schools and the public employee thing.

To the extent you want to, you might tell me just what aspects freak you out, and why you give them considerable weight. I'm kind of curious.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:22 PM »

Do you think that much public policy chips ride on whether or not the top bracket goes up 4.5%, and increasing taxes on dividends and capital gains (the tax rate increasing on gains probably being unwise and not the best place to get more revenue from the rich but I digress)?  I mean that is the only difference out there at the moment between Obama and and the Pubs really.

In reality a lot more folks than just the rich are going to have to pay more taxes to make this all work at the level of a social safety net that the vast majority of Americans will be demanding. There is no escape from that - not with medical technology and our demographics going where they are going. And a lot of the goodies are going to have to be means tested more (so the rich will be getting less). The Dems are hostile to means testing for complex reasons, which I can get into if you wish. One aspect is that the Dems fear the largess/cross subsidies might be subject to being undermined if the means testing enters the picture. Yes, it's paranoid, but they do tend to be quite hostile to it. Go figure.

Speaking of the rich and connected, how much does crony capitalism bother you? The Dems seem to be making that something of an art form at the moment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies