Obama Gallup Approval Rating by State, Jan-Jun 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:04:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama Gallup Approval Rating by State, Jan-Jun 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Gallup Approval Rating by State, Jan-Jun 2012  (Read 557 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »

I wasn't able to find another post relating to this (thanks, search daemon). Looking at these new numbers reaffirms my confusion in why OFA picked AZ over GA, along with the new question of just how much has Obama improved in CO over the past couple of months - at least when compared to polling.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/156389/Thirteen-States-Give-Obama-Majority-Approval.aspx

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »

I wasn't able to find another post relating to this (thanks, search daemon). Looking at these new numbers reaffirms my confusion in why OFA picked AZ over GA, along with the new question of just how much has Obama improved in CO over the past couple of months - at least when compared to polling.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/156389/Thirteen-States-Give-Obama-Majority-Approval.aspx

Elasticity. Southern whites give the GOP 50% of the vote automatically.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »

Most interesting things:
- Obama has the same approval rating in Ohio and Mississippi
- Obama's approval rating is over 50% in only around 26% of US States.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:02:53 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2012, 07:07:42 PM by IDS Legislator Griffin »

In most southern states that is the case, and currently the situation in Georgia. Arizona and Georgia have approximately the same % of Whites (57-59).

The difference between Georgia and Arizona, however, is that Democrats really don't need to worry about Whites here with a good ground game and high turnout (I would also independently argue that many White Arizonans are similarly-minded to the southern Whites; there's a reason AZ is under the CRA).

The solid minority in Arizona is the Latino community, which may go to Obama by a factor of 2-to-1 and makes up 30% of the state. The solid minority in Georgia is the Black community, which will hand Obama their votes by a factor of 9-to-1 and also makes up 30% of the state. The Black population in Georgia is also growing - in conjunction with the Latino population - while Whites are shrinking. Another equal comparison among the states is the number of Latinos who are ineligible to vote: roughly 475,000 each, which obviously impacts Arizona's ability to flip more than Georgia's, seeing as it's a greater share of the population.

Georgia could be majority-minority (with at least 2/3 of minorities being Black) by 2020. Existing calculations I've seen by the state Democratic Party show that Georgia Democrats already have a 10% advantage among registered voters (based on primary participation and demographic analysis), but are always outperformed by Republican turnout. Maybe the campaign sees AZ as a state that needs more "push" to ultimately trend D than GA will, but I would think that the campaign would rather be concerned with which state would be easier to flip this cycle, which I still maintain should have been Georgia.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:35:18 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2012, 11:38:48 PM by Politico »

I'm inclined to say that any state where he is currently 55% and below could POSSIBLY, however unlikely, go to Romney when the dust settles. Vermont, Rhode Island, Hawaii and DC are the only ironclad EVs. New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts are 99.9% likely to go to Obama. Everything else is anywhere between 0-99%.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:37:48 PM »

Polls taken over half a year are meaningless.

Especially Gallup, which predicted a GOP+15 win in 2010, when the actual Senate/House result was just GOP+6 ...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2010_generic_congressional_vote-2171.html
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:22:55 AM »

I'm inclined to say that any state where he is currently 55% and below could POSSIBLY, however unlikely, go to Romney when the dust settles. Vermont, Rhode Island, Hawaii and DC are the only ironclad EVs. New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts are 99.9% likely to go to Obama. Everything else is anywhere between 0-99%.

So Romney has a 0-99% chance of winning Ohio, Virginia, etc. Got it. Thanks for that very deep analysis.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 02:54:19 AM »

So Romney has a 0-99% chance of winning Ohio, Virginia, etc. Got it. Thanks for that very deep analysis.

No, Obama has a 0-99% chance of winning every state other than the aforementioned. Obviously Obama has a 0% chance of winning Utah, for example, just as Romney has a 0% chance of winning Hawaii.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 06:55:47 AM »

It would be interesting to see Romney favorables in some of these Southern states.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »

In most southern states that is the case, and currently the situation in Georgia. Arizona and Georgia have approximately the same % of Whites (57-59).

The difference between Georgia and Arizona, however, is that Democrats really don't need to worry about Whites here with a good ground game and high turnout (I would also independently argue that many White Arizonans are similarly-minded to the southern Whites; there's a reason AZ is under the CRA).

The solid minority in Arizona is the Latino community, which may go to Obama by a factor of 2-to-1 and makes up 30% of the state. The solid minority in Georgia is the Black community, which will hand Obama their votes by a factor of 9-to-1 and also makes up 30% of the state. The Black population in Georgia is also growing - in conjunction with the Latino population - while Whites are shrinking. Another equal comparison among the states is the number of Latinos who are ineligible to vote: roughly 475,000 each, which obviously impacts Arizona's ability to flip more than Georgia's, seeing as it's a greater share of the population.

Georgia could be majority-minority (with at least 2/3 of minorities being Black) by 2020. Existing calculations I've seen by the state Democratic Party show that Georgia Democrats already have a 10% advantage among registered voters (based on primary participation and demographic analysis), but are always outperformed by Republican turnout. Maybe the campaign sees AZ as a state that needs more "push" to ultimately trend D than GA will, but I would think that the campaign would rather be concerned with which state would be easier to flip this cycle, which I still maintain should have been Georgia.

This is all true, but Dems still do need to do a little better with whites in Georgia. Obama won 23% of whites and lost by 5 points. With a strong minority turnout and Dems getting close to 30% of whites, then the state could be really competitive.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies