Controversial Tennessee mosque to open
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:48:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Controversial Tennessee mosque to open
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Controversial Tennessee mosque to open  (Read 3704 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 08:13:13 PM »

Why do Muslims bother to live in a place like Tennessee anyways? Or for that matter anywhere in the US?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. Why on earth would a Muslim want to go to Tennnessee, instead of a more diverse place?

Why do we need to ask questions like this? It's their right and they deserve to practice it without question.

-sincerely, a minority who lives in north Idaho.

Well, sure, you have every right to live wherever you want, but I'm just perplexed by the inclination to live in specific areas that are, well, less accommodating to minorities, to be polite. It's like a socially liberal Christian living in Saudi Arabia.
Yes. Suburban Nashville is exactly like Saudi Arabia. Roll Eyes
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »

The South can't be more diverse until more diverse groups of people move in.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »

I think the answer for that question would be "toil".
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »

Which is happening, just more slowly than other parts of the country. Hispanics are moving to various parts of Georgia and South Carolina, for example, and are already the largest minority group in eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, northeast Arkansas, and northern Alabama.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 01:24:45 AM »

Which is happening, just more slowly than other parts of the country. Hispanics are moving to various parts of Georgia and South Carolina, for example, and are already the largest minority group in eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, northeast Arkansas, and northern Alabama.
I thought Eastern TN was a pretty white and slightly black place when I lived there, haven't seen that many Hispanics. I lived near Knoxville btw, maybe there are more near Chattanooga?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 01:35:28 AM »

I thought Eastern TN was a pretty white and slightly black place when I lived there, haven't seen that many Hispanics. I lived near Knoxville btw, maybe there are more near Chattanooga?

Well, there aren't that many minorities in total, but hispanics outnumber blacks in eastern Tennessee outside of Knox and Hamilton Counties, plus a couple others.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »

Why do Muslims bother to live in a place like Tennessee anyways? Or for that matter anywhere in the US?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. Why on earth would a Muslim want to go to Tennnessee, instead of a more diverse place?

Why do we need to ask questions like this? It's their right and they deserve to practice it without question.

Well, sure, you have every right to live wherever you want, but I'm just perplexed by the inclination to live in specific areas that are, well, less accommodating to minorities, to be polite. It's like a socially liberal Christian living in Saudi Arabia.

I'm just digging myself into a deeper hole, aren't I? What I'm trying to say is that it's surprising and odd to me to think of a religious minority group living in Tennnessee, when there's places across the US that seem as if they'd be more welcoming.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »

I'm just digging myself into a deeper hole, aren't I? What I'm trying to say is that it's surprising and odd to me to think of a religious minority group living in Tennnessee, when there's places across the US that seem as if they'd be more welcoming.
I would guess "toil".
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to the South seceding.  For one thing, I don't buy the "common American identity" thing, when the most left-wing Southerner is probably still not very leftist.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to the South seceding.  For one thing, I don't buy the "common American identity" thing, when the most left-wing Southerner is probably still not very leftist.

Sometimes I wish that the South had won the war.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 06:21:51 PM »

That this was even controversial just shows what a horrible and un-American place Tennessee is.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 07:38:12 PM »

Why? We have several mosques here in Memphis. There's one a couple miles from me. Another one rents space in a church for their Friday services. It's not that big a deal. I'm Jewish and live in Tennessee. Never had a problem. New York City, on the other hand, seems to be ground zero for the ethnic wars.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 07:42:50 PM »

I'm Hindu (sort of) and I live in Tennessee and haven't faced any problems. There is a large Hindu temple in Nashville too, or so I hear since I haven't taken the trouble to go there yet.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »

The most left-wing Southerner is probably still not very leftist.

WTF?  It's not a high percentage, but there's plenty of people like me in Mississippi.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

WTF?  It's not a high percentage, but there's plenty of people like me in Mississippi.

weren't you complaining for years about how there were no liberal* girls for you in Mississippi?

*white liberal
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »

weren't you complaining for years about how there were no liberal* girls for you in Mississippi?

*white liberal

Presumably he's found one, since he seems to be engaged now.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »

I am sure there some pretty left-wing southerners.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 05:03:54 AM »

Money, dear boy.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 07:24:06 AM »

It's like a socially liberal Christian living in Saudi Arabia.

I'll ask my parents and every other Canadian/European or American I knew, and I'll get back to you.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »

Oh fine, I admit it; it is because of my stereotypical mental image of Tennessee as rednecks that it seemed odd that Muslims would live there, and I have been wrong to think about that stereotype as truth. Happy?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »

*white liberal

I'm married, and I never restricted myself to whites or liberals.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »

Oh fine, I admit it; it is because of my stereotypical mental image of Tennessee as rednecks that it seemed odd that Muslims would live there, and I have been wrong to think about that stereotype as truth. Happy?

The problem is that you're not making a distinction between the country and city mice. I think that you won't find many Muslims or mosque in rural parts of Tennessee (or many other states, for that matter). Murfreesboro is something different all together. It's just another suburban interstate boomtown. Hardly all that different from those poping up in Texas, Florida, Arizona, and other SunBelt locales. Politically conservative, for sure, but much more multicultural that one might initially assume, and the anonoymity of the suburbs fosters a live an let live ethos. It can be somewhat of a novelty to discover that the kids have school friends from all sorts of backgrounds, but outright hostility is a very marginal position. Again, the ethnic wars is much more a way of life in a place like New York City, where the minorities have ceased to be a novel curiousity and instead produce turf wars.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »

In fairness to PP, isn't it safe to say that Nashville is a particularly cosmopolitan city (culturally at least) compared to most of Tennessee, or even the entire South?

But again, the Ground Zero Mosque experience shows that buttheads are everywhere.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »

In fairness to PP, isn't it safe to say that Nashville is a particularly cosmopolitan city (culturally at least) compared to most of Tennessee, or even the entire South?

But again, the Ground Zero Mosque experience shows that buttheads are everywhere.

I definately wouldn't call Nashville cosmopolitan, but it is an actual city, which puts it somewhat ahead of most of the South. It votes moderately Democratic only because it's the rare Upper South city with a decent sized black population. It's the headquarters for country music, the Southern Baptists, and the Tennessee state government, all bastions of liberalism Tongue You can imagine how the suburbs are there. If you're looking for a Southern city with a more metropolitan feel, I'd recommend Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta. And FWIW, Downtown Chattanooga easily has the best "going out" scene in the state.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »

I definately wouldn't call Nashville cosmopolitan, but it is an actual city, which puts it somewhat ahead of most of the South. It votes moderately Democratic only because it's the rare Upper South city with a decent sized black population. It's the headquarters for country music, the Southern Baptists, and the Tennessee state government, all bastions of liberalism Tongue You can imagine how the suburbs are there. If you're looking for a Southern city with a more metropolitan feel, I'd recommend Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta. And FWIW, Downtown Chattanooga easily has the best "going out" scene in the state.

Meh, at least Brentwood tries to be cosmopolitan. There are some fusion Asian places in Brentwood that are actually pretty good. Of course Murfreesboro and the other suburban areas of Nashville like Hendersonville, Gallatin and the like are a different sort of place. I live in between Brentwood and the Nolensville Pike area, which looks a little run down, but is filled with immigrants from all over leading to many good food choices at decent prices. It's not bad at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies