Opposing party speakers at conventions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:24:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Opposing party speakers at conventions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opposing party speakers at conventions?  (Read 783 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:12:33 PM »

Has the RNC/DNC booked any speakers from the opposite party yet slash who could be potential speakers that would/have flipped for the 2012 election?
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »

I doubt anyone big enough for a speaking slot at a major party convention would be willing to commit political suicide by speaking at the wrong convention.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »

Politicalwire says Huntsman may speak at Dem. Convention.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »

Rumours floating about Huntsman to speak at the DNC.

I believe when I see...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »

Rumor is Huntsman, Jr. is speaking at the Dem convention. Talk about putting that final nail in his own political coffin if it's true.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »

Rumor is Huntsman, Jr. is speaking at the Dem convention. Talk about putting that final nail in his own political coffin if it's true.

Not quite. He's finished with the GOP indeed, but he may be seeking a cabinet post under Obama. Perhaps even SoS?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »

Even though Huntsman technically ran against Obama and also endorsed Romney after the primary?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »

It's not like Huntsman has any future with the current GOP anyway. And it's unlikely that it changes radically in the next four or eight year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »

Not quite. He's finished with the GOP indeed, but he may be seeking a cabinet post under Obama. Perhaps even SoS?

I have always liked Huntsman, supported him and always felt the "moderate" label was so insanely embellished with him but if he does this, he's just as bad as Romney. He leaves his post as Ambassador to challenge his boss (fine), blasts him throughout the campaign, runs a disastrous campaign, drops out and endorses Romney, complains about Romney nearly 24/7 (fine by me but why endorse him?) then goes on to endorse Obama and speak at the convention to possibly get another spot in the administration? What a joke.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »

I have always liked Huntsman, supported him and always felt the "moderate" label was so insanely embellished with him but if he does this, he's just as bad as Romney. He leaves his post as Ambassador to challenge his boss (fine), blasts him throughout the campaign, runs a disastrous campaign, drops out and endorses Romney, complains about Romney nearly 24/7 (fine by me but why endorse him?) then goes on to endorse Obama and speak at the convention to possibly get another spot in the administration? What a joke.

That's all true, but is Huntsman aware of this?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »

Politico says that the Obama campaigns plans to heavily include Republican voices in the DNC schedule: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79542.html
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »

Huntsman is the new Charlie Crist. Buggered off from his party because he threw a hissy fit over a primary. I never understood why so many people liked him anyway.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 04:38:53 PM »

Huntsman is the new Charlie Crist. Buggered off from his party because he threw a hissy fit over a primary. I never understood why so many people liked him anyway.

Since when Simfan is "so many people"?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »

There are worst things than that. At least he isn't the new Zell Miller.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »

Since when Simfan is "so many people"?

^

Huntsman was 100% a media candidate. He would have been in line with Gary Johnson if not for news cycles.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »

Huntsman did get far too much attention for his poll numbers, but in some ways it worked against him. They were giving him attention on global warming and evolution, 2 issues that should not dictate whether or not you're a conservative, but the impression many people got from him was that he was a moderate hero because he believes in global warming and worked for Obama, which isn't the case. He would've had far more traction if asked about the economy.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 06:25:31 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 06:28:34 PM by Politico »

It's not like Huntsman has any future with the current GOP anyway. And it's unlikely that it changes radically in the next four or eight year.

Fixed.

I would not be surprised to see Lieberman speak at the RNC. The Democrats sure have fallen a great deal since Lieberman was their nominee for VPOTUS.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »

Fixed.

I would not be surprised to see Lieberman speak at the RNC. The Democrats sure have fallen a great deal since Lieberman was their nominee for VPOTUS.
His own fault for being such an attention whore.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies