An invitation to BushOK in his hour of need (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:57:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  An invitation to BushOK in his hour of need (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An invitation to BushOK in his hour of need  (Read 2871 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: August 11, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »

A friend suggested to me a few years ago that I should teach English in Italy. I told him I know only a little Italian so I could never do it. Amazingly, he claimed that wouldn't be an issue. Sorry, I still don't buy it. I think it's one of those "see it/experience it to believe it" things.

Surely most Italian kids know at least some English.

Given some of the people I am currently teaching (I'm currently in the whole Teaching English as a foreign language gig) and am living in college accomodation surrounded by Italian teenagers (Don't get me started...), I wouldn't be too sure about that. Though that might depend how you define 'some'.

Though you can definitely teach English in Southern Europe without prior knowledge of the host country's language. I'm living proof of that - but I wouldn't recommend it.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 05:47:20 PM by Iatrogenesis »

Would you definitely have to be a native speaker in order to be capable of embarking on such a 'career', though?

In Southern Europe, yes afaik. Though I have heard stories of Dutch people and Scandinavians being hired in places like Thailand and other parts of Asia (However, only by 'private institutes' which often are dodgy places where very little 'teaching' goes on. I suspect Opebo knows more about this than I).

Once students have an above basic grasping of the rudiments of English grammar and vocabulary (ie. About 'B1' on the CEFRL, it isn't too difficult to explain things through English. You can, of course, teach solely through English for basic levels but it is much more difficult (imho). Also, what Belgian said.

The real reason, though, I wouldn't recommend teaching in Italy is that I assume it is like teaching in Spain. And in Spain, the facilities and staff support I got were almost non-existent which lead to, as you can imagine, problems... (Lots of good stories about that, actually).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies