SENATE BILL: Jobs Now Act of 2012 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:22:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Jobs Now Act of 2012 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Jobs Now Act of 2012 (Law'd)  (Read 5069 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
« edited: September 19, 2012, 11:07:26 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Scott
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 08:26:35 PM by Senator Scott »

Mr. PPT, the reforms that are outlined by this legislation seek to accomplish four essential goals which are paramount to jump-starting the economy and putting Atlasians back to work: one, to incentivize businesses for expansion and job creation, two, to curb the ongoing loss of jobs by subsidizing workers for lost hours, three, to putting construction workers back to work whilst making our infrastructure more environmentally friendly and less costly, and four, to help regional governments put their checkbooks in order and provide them with the necessary tools to expand their local economies.

I will explain each section separately.

Hiring Incentives Act Renewal

The first portion of the bill is an extension of an older policy that was introduced by former Senator Bacon King.  It is my understanding that while taxes must be kept at a reasonable level for new businesses to work around, tax reductions simply aren’t enough, and so they must have the incentive to hire and expand.  The polices that the Hiring Incentive Act put in place over the course of its effectiveness did just that, and in a time when employment is still not up to par, it is necessary for us to renew this law for another year.

Voluntary Work Hour and Pay Cut Compensation

This section focuses to encourage companies to reduce employees’ hours and pay instead of laying them off.  Faced with reduced demand in recent years, many companies have been forced to make up the costs by laying workers off, and this is partly how we lost over eight million jobs in the Great Recession.  But what if, instead, we encouraged them to divide the pain more equally, by reducing workers' hours, rather than shedding jobs?  This is what many companies in Germany do, and this can be partly attributed to its ongoing success in an overall weak global economy.

To quote this Yahoo! News article, “Kevin Hassett, an economic policy expert at the conservative American Enterprise Institute and a supporter of the idea, recently laid out how it works. If an employer in Germany cuts a worker's hours and wages by 10 percent or more, the government pays the worker 60 percent of the amount he lost--unemployment benefits, essentially, for the lost income. That helps the worker, of course, because he's making more than he would be just from jobless benefits, and because he keeps up his skills and contacts by continuing to go to work every day. But it also helps the employer, because turnover of employees is costly: It's cheaper to keep workers during slow periods than it is to have to hire and train new employees once things pick up.”  This is a policy that has shown tremendous success where it’s been used, and it ought to be a model for this government to look toward.

White Rooftop Incentive For Private and Publicly Owned Buildings

This section aims to put our infrastructure on a more environmentally friendly path by incentivizing government officials, homeowners, and business owners to pay construction workers, one of the hardest hit groups of the recession, to paint black tar roofs white.  This would save 20% in energy, which could be spent on goods and services other than generating electricity, which increases fuel and oil prices.  This initiative, minor as it may appear at a first glance, would have a significant impact on our economy.

Regional Public Banking System

Finally, the primary purpose of this section is to increase revenue for regions that are struggling with their budgets and promoting job creation by encouraging regional administrators to establish their own public banks.  This particular section of the bill is taken off a similar policy that I had written for the Northeast government.

As many of you might know, North Dakota is the only state in the country that went virtually unaffected by the Great Recession, and continues to run budget surpluses as well as have the lowest unemployment and the fastest job growth rate in the country.  While many attribute North Dakota’s economy to its abundant oil supply, much of its success is thanks to the state’s public bank, which has raked in over $300 million in revenue to the state's Treasury.  Basically, the state deposits its tax revenues in the bank which ensure that a high portion of State funds are in the economy, and the bank is able to remit a portion of its earnings to the Treasury.  This stands in heavy contrast to states like California, which has no public bank to steer funds into productive investments within the state.  Instead, revenues are largely deposited into private banks, which fund out-of-state, invest them in speculative trading strategies (including derivative bets against the state’s own bonds), and do not remit any of their earnings back to the State Treasury.

So what, exactly, does North Dakota’s success story teach?  It teaches us that there must be significant action on a local level for prosperity to be achieved across the board, and at the same time, the correct policies must be enacted in a responsible fashion.  Indeed, the federal government isn’t the cure to all the nation’s problems, but it is our duty as senators to ensure that every region has the tools it needs to maintain a business-friendly environment whilst keeping their checkbooks in order.

Evidently, this bill is designed to address several portions of our economy.  However, I recognize that these proposals cannot aid all of our economic woes, and that is why I urge my colleagues to use the opportunity to revise and add on to what we have.  To those who desire to tweak certain sections, I ask that any amendments or ideas that come forward do not disregard or displace the central ideas that the bill lays out.  And on that, I wish to open the floor to thoughtful and respectful debate and, where possible, bipartisanship.

Thank you.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »

Scott you have 24 hours to advocate for this bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

Damn it, 13 seconds too late. Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2012, 01:26:52 PM by Senator Scott »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »

Pic doesn't work at least on my machine.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »

Haha, it just says "Nailed it!" Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2012, 02:08:14 AM by Senator Scott »

Does anyone know how much money in the energy budget goes to subsidies for renewable energy sources (such as solar panels) and to scientific research?  I'm thinking about adding a section to the bill that transfers funds from subsidies to energy research, since excessive spending on solar subsidies tends to actually raise costs instead of reduce them.  I'd appreciate some input from Yankee or shua on this idea.

EDIT: We also might want to look into reducing or eliminating oil subsidies if those are on our books, too.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 01:18:18 AM »

It sounds promising but we would need some raw data from the Game Moderator to move forward.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 09:54:36 PM »

My administration would like to ensure that employers may not discriminate based on current employment status. Does the Senate think that could work its way into this bill?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

My administration would like to ensure that employers may not discriminate based on current employment status. Does the Senate think that could work its way into this bill?

Employment discrimination on account of anything is already illegal, if I'm not mistaken.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »

Employment discrimination on account of anything is already illegal, if I'm not mistaken.

That isn't included in the Worker's Bill of Rights Act.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2012, 10:12:59 PM by Senator Scott »

Amendment:
[/quote]
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14:55 PM »

Thank you Senator Scott. This amendment can help ease people out of long term unemployment and reliance on the state. I believe that as a package, this bill can bring about positive change to our economic state.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »

I have a small semantic issue with Section 4.... I don't believe the incentive should be made for hiring the workers directly but rather hiring a construction firm which will then provide the workers. As is- I don't know if it would be most efficient to have workers apply to be employed directly by a business or individual as this work does not lead long-term employment

I will comment on the other parts of this legislation later today...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2012, 01:44:24 PM by Senator Scott »

I have a small semantic issue with Section 4.... I don't believe the incentive should be made for hiring the workers directly but rather hiring a construction firm which will then provide the workers. As is- I don't know if it would be most efficient to have workers apply to be employed directly by a business or individual as this work does not lead long-term employment

I will comment on the other parts of this legislation later today...

I don't see what the difference would be if the incentive applied to people who hired firms rather than individuals.  It is my belief that incentivizing people to take either of those options would lead to more work and reduced energy costs, and therefore, more employment.  The answer to whether or not this incentive will lead to long-term employment ultimately depends on how much people take advantage of the incentive and how much construction projects are being pursued.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »

Senator, has any success been had in establising a line of communications with the Game Moderator on the matter discussed Saturday last.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »

No.  I'm going to PM him now.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »

Does anyone know how much money in the energy budget goes to subsidies for renewable energy sources (such as solar panels) and to scientific research?  I'm thinking about adding a section to the bill that transfers funds from subsidies to energy research, since excessive spending on solar subsidies tends to actually raise costs instead of reduce them.  I'd appreciate some input from Yankee or shua on this idea.

EDIT: We also might want to look into reducing or eliminating oil subsidies if those are on our books, too.

The main renewable energy spending is the Go Green Fund, which is $50 Billion spent over four years in grants and loans. https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Atlasian_Green_Jobs_Act

There are also tax credits, which are based on some legislation passed by the Atlasian Senate which I can't find at the moment, but the first is for companies converting to renewable energy and the second is for research

I'm not aware of any subsidies that go specifically to oil companies.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »

Are tax credits basically the same thing as subsidies?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 12:37:59 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 12:45:29 AM by shua, gm »

Are tax credits basically the same thing as subsidies?
They can be considered so - it's a common way to subsidize something without spending money on it directly. Still, it depends on who you ask.  They encourage spending on something that might otherwise not be made - but there has to be enough of a market for it that the consumer finds it valuable in itself, since the tax credit usually doesn't cover the entire cost.

The clean energy tax credits produce a modest amount of demand for clean energy. The effect of price increasing from greater demand is going to be balanced out to some extent by the greater economies of scale that reduce production cost. Combined with some of the grants in the Go Green Fund it may have an effect on raising prices, but nowhere approaching what has happened in Germany.  The major difference here is that there is an investment in a variety of clean energy (at least, that's the plan), and not a huge amount given to a single technology.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »

Thank you, Shua.  With that in mind, I will not touch the clean energy tax credits.

Anything else, guys?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »

Why are they state-owned banks rather than regionally?
Is 5.1 a blank check from the federal government to the regions? 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 08:44:14 AM »

Why are they state-owned banks rather than regionally?
Is 5.1 a blank check from the federal government to the regions? 

I never noticed that until now. That's a great question.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies