Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate **official thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate **official thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Author Topic: Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate **official thread**  (Read 19869 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 12, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »

Sarah Palin responded by bookending a very long criticism of Obama with mentions of Ryan's name.

https://www.facebook.com/sarahpalin/posts/10151109537628588
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2012, 04:34:03 PM by anvi »

Ah, the piece Torie linked to says that Romney supports the Ryan-Wyden plan, not the original Ryan plan offered in his budget.  That moves a few of the goalposts, of course.  Ryan-Wyden limits patient out-of-of-pocket costs, implements more means-testing in determining premium supports, it gives Congress more negotiating tools if Medicare spending exceeds GDP + 1% before necessarily jacking up beneficiary contributions, it leaves the IPAB agency featured in Obamacare in place, and it does not block-grant Medicaid to states.  
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2012, 04:46:32 PM by Senator Sbane »

Yes, the Ryan-Wyden plan is much more palatable. I still don't see the need for the competition between insurers since Medicare currently can get better rates from providers than individual insurers can due to their higher buying power. Indeed the rate Medicare pays is the starting point of insurers when negotiating with hospitals about reimbursement. And depending on size they pay a little more or a lot more than Medicare. By fragmenting the system further, we increase the power of providers to charge higher rates.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »

Yes, the Ryan-Wyden plan is much more palatable. I still don't see the need for the competition between insurers since Medicare currently can get better rates from providers than individual insurers can due to their higher buying power. Indeed the rate Medicare pays is the starting point of insurers when negotiating with Hospitals about reimbursement. And depending on size they pay a little more or a lot more than Medicare. By fragmenting the system further, we increase the power of providers to charge higher rates.

Yes, except docs rip Medicare off. We need price policing by consumers. One little anecdote about this. I asked a doc in BH who supposedly did telephone appointments for a blood pressure meds prescription renewal, but he demanded to see me. Why, when I just want to renew my little blood pressure medicine prescription, and I have my blood pressure taken by a whole array of specialized docs on a seemingly monthly basis between the assorted and sundry gang. Well, I do more than that. I do a cardio exam. A cardio exam? You mean an EKG just to renew a blood pressure pill prescription? Yes, he said. I said that is ludicrous, and no, that won't be happening. You can imagine what it's like under Medicare. So plan B is to hit up my sex doctor for a lisinopril pill prescription renewal. Medicare needs folks like me around as a price and over-treatment avoidance policeman. I'm very good at it!  Lawyers are not afraid of doctors. It is just not in our genes. Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »

Wow that's ridiculous. Since he is based in BH, he is just milking his patient population. Especially for something like blood pressure medication, which once you get on you usually keep taking it for life. All it should take is a simple electronic refill renewal request from your pharmacy.....
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2012, 07:30:58 PM by Torie »

Wow that's ridiculous. Since he is based in BH, he is just milking his patient population. Especially for something like blood pressure medication, which once you get on you usually keep taking it for life. All it should take is a simple electronic refill renewal request from your pharmacy.....

It doesn't work that way my friend. Docs want a fee to get your refill ticket punched, and they want to add some other tickets to the pile, and it takes some guts to just say no, I understand I am not following your advice, and accept the consequences, and frankly I think you are just wrong, and I disagree with your opinion, and won't be following it, thank you.  In this case, the doc if he thought I was dissembling, could have asked that I fax over the lab/med sheets showing my blood pressure takings. But no, of course not! (Yes, I always demand a copy on the spot of whatever the docs write on those sheets that are never read again, in the land of Oz where computers are for space aliens.) Our system is broken, totally. Who knew?  

No, it is not a BH problem. Indeed if you don't pay much of anything for your medical care out of pocket - it is all covered by Medicare or your insurance, where you have but a nominal copay, just why would you give an F anyway, how many tickets the doc puts on the pile, other than it wastes your time?

No, I won't tell you about my MRI cf, arising from a vertigo incident, which the neurologist never read or got back to me about. But I looked at my own little brain scan with the technician, and she said I looked great "for an old man," and my neurologist pal,  now a famous finance commentator and adviser and author, told me the technicians can read them better than the MD's. He also told me it was a total waste. That cost about 4K, of which I had to pay about 1.5K. F, just F!  Do you now understand just why I am so dyspeptic about this stuff?

You can trust your lawyer far more than your MD, and that's a fact.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »

Mitt's face in this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm_6NVB3TR0&feature=g-all-u
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #257 on: August 17, 2012, 07:40:36 AM »

Romney family urged Mitt to go with his gut and pick Ryan, while his campaign advisors expressed skepticism:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/the-romney-family-takes-charge
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2012, 07:49:33 AM »

Romney family urged Mitt to go with his gut and pick Ryan, while his campaign advisors expressed skepticism:

To be fair, we saw what happened to McCain when he went with his advisors' pick.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #259 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »

To be fair, we saw what happened to McCain when he went with his advisors' pick.

That's true. Though in their situation I might have proposed Palin as well.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »

Yeah, but McCain's gut agreed with his advisors.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »

Most of McCain's advisors wanted to play it "safe" and pick Pawlenty, and he overruled them.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »

Most of McCain's advisors wanted to play it "safe" and pick Pawlenty, and he overruled them.

Yes, but it was my understanding that McCain's favorite advisor recommended Palin as a "game changer."

Of course, Mitt's favorite advisor is Ann.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2012, 05:39:13 PM »

He's thinking - this guy is my ticket to finally getting the White House.  A truer look of love never passed between aristocrat and squire before.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »

"Go with his gut."

Hmm, who does that remind me of?

Oh yeah:

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2012, 05:48:54 PM »

Ugh, even his shirts are like two inches too big in the neck.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »

McCain's gut wanted Lieberman, and his advisors wanted Pawlenty. But everybody liked Palin, so that's who he went with.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #267 on: August 18, 2012, 09:56:37 AM »

It is interesting.  A week ago all the buzz was about Ryan getting on the ticket, what a terrible choice he was, and if he'd be dropped.

In the past week, all the buzz has been about Biden being dropped from the ticket, what a terrible choice he is.

Ryan is out campaigning and Biden is getting a time out in Delaware.  Smiley

A week bis an eternity in politics.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #268 on: August 18, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »

all the buzz has been about Biden being dropped from the ticket, what a terrible choice he is.

Um, no.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #269 on: August 18, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »

all the buzz has been about Biden being dropped from the ticket, what a terrible choice he is.

Um, no.

Ah, yes.  There is even a thread on it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #270 on: August 18, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »

Um, no.

Of course, there is no more clear indication that something is trending in US politics than someone opening a thread about it on Atlas Forum.

Eat our dust Drudge!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »

Um, no.

Yeah. J.J., you responding to Winfield responding to Politico on the Atlas Forum does not consititute "buzz about Joe Biden."
Of course, there is no more clear indication that something is trending in US politics than someone opening a thread about it on Atlas Forum.

Eat our dust Drudge!

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »

Um, no.

Eat our dust Drudge!

We've been hearing about it all week.  I'm not saying it will be happening, but obviously that has been the story.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2012, 03:41:10 PM »

Oh, and here:  http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2012_08/so_much_easier_to_spin_in_fact039297.php

I don't expect this to happen, but it has been the story of the week.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »

Top sources in J.J.-land: threads made by Winfield/Politico and Washington Monthly.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies