Romney/Ryan is first major party ticket with no Protestant on it.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney/Ryan is first major party ticket with no Protestant on it.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Romney/Ryan is first major party ticket with no Protestant on it.  (Read 10111 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2012, 12:45:02 AM »

Don't you have the feeling that Obama is becoming Agnostic? If so then we have an Agnostic/Catholic ticket vs. the Mormon/Catholic ticket.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »

What's the basis for these claims of an Obama apostasy?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2012, 01:04:40 AM »

It's implied so far, but I think he might be leaning there. His new same-sex marriage stance reflects this.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2012, 01:05:23 AM »

I imagine it originates from his "cling to guns and religion" comment and the fact that he is an intellectual.

If he announced that he was an agnostic, I would be pleased, but I fear we have another 2-3 decades to go before America would tolerate a non-religious candidacy.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:31 AM »

If he announced that he was an agnostic, I would be pleased, but I fear we have another 2-3 decades to go before America would tolerate a non-religious candidacy.

I'd be pleased too, but I would have to agree on the tolerance of a non-religious candidacy. It will happen soon I bet, but it would be pretty hard.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2012, 01:11:59 AM »

It's implied so far, but I think he might be leaning there. His new same-sex marriage stance reflects this.

What? No it doesn't. Not necessarily, anyway.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2012, 01:26:27 AM »

What? No it doesn't. Not necessarily, anyway.

Yeah, plenty of liberal Protestants support gay marriage and don't care for people who "cling" to guns or religion, whatever that means.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2012, 01:44:30 AM »

Paul Ryan is undoubtedly an atheist.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2012, 01:49:30 AM »

And on what do you base such an accusation?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2012, 01:52:08 AM »

He's a Randite and proud social Darwinist.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2012, 01:58:30 AM »

He holds several mutually contradictory sets of beliefs at once, in common with the rest of us. We're living in modernity.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2012, 01:59:09 AM »

There are many Randites that follow her economic philosophy but not her views on religion. Which is a shame, because while she's extreme on economics, she was more spot-on on the subject of religion. Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2012, 02:00:28 AM »

There are many Randites that follow her economic philosophy but not her views on religion. Which is a shame, because while she's extreme on economics, she was more spot-on on the subject of religion. Tongue

The first thing she said to Bill Buckley was that he struck her as too smart to believe in God. That's not 'spot-on', that's just being an unreconstructed asshole.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2012, 02:07:19 AM »

The first thing she said to Bill Buckley was that he struck her as too smart to believe in God. That's not 'spot-on', that's just being an unreconstructed asshole.

Depends on which side of the veil of religion you're on. As a non-believer, I find that to be quite the compliment for Bill Buckley. Still, I understand how it comes off as negative and tactless.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2012, 02:08:19 AM »

Depends on which side of the veil of religion you're on. As a non-believer, I find that to be quite the compliment for Bill Buckley. Still, I understand how it comes off as negative and tactless.

Many atheists who understand religion partially as a cultural marker would find it culturally insensitive even if they didn't disagree with a baseline statement of the underlying assumption.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2012, 03:15:28 AM »

Oh, and Mormons are Protestant Christians, just to let you know. Odd ones yes, but still Protestants.

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but that is a very contentious point of view. Mormons may believe they are in the Protestant tradition, but lots of Protestant sects don't even accept they are Christian.

Can't we agree that the Mormons are non-Protestant Christians? Of course I don't really care which branch of the Abrahamic religion people think they are.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2012, 03:37:50 AM »

Mormans are their own thing. They are not Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical or Pentacostal.

What about Morwomen?

The correct term is Mormaid.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2012, 07:34:51 AM »

Oh, and Mormons are Protestant Christians, just to let you know. Odd ones yes, but still Protestants.

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but that is a very contentious point of view. Mormons may believe they are in the Protestant tradition, but lots of Protestant sects don't even accept they are Christian.

Some Protestant sects don't consider Catholics Christian.

Almost all Protestant theologians recognise Catholics and Orthodox as fellow Christians and they return the favour, none of these recognise the Mormons as Christians, and being Christian are necessary to be Protestant. Of course laymen do see Mormons as a Christian sect, and outside the theology, Mormons are descendent of the Christian and Protestant traditions.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2012, 07:49:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And which 'tradition' do they descend from?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And which 'tradition' do they descend from?

The Anglo-Saxon mess of semi-Low Church sects (all those different Protestant groups which spread in 17th and early 18th century on the British Isles like Baptist, Methodist, Quaker etc).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2012, 08:11:21 AM »

Can't we agree that the Mormons are non-Protestant Christians? Of course I don't really care which branch of the Abrahamic religion people think they are.

I'm not Christian, so I don't have an opinion other than to defer to how they identify themselves, but there are lots of people out there who have an issue with it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2012, 08:13:33 AM »

Some other fun facts:

1. This is the first time two Catholics (Biden and Ryan) are running against each other for either Presidency or Vice Presidency
2. This is the first time a resident of Wisconsin was nominated by a major party for either Presidet or Vice President (the only notable major third-party candidacy I can think of is Pat Lucey in 1980)
3. This is the first time since 1984 a sitting member of the House was nominated
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »

This is the first time a resident of Wisconsin was nominated by a major party for either President or Vice President (the only notable major third-party candidacy I can think of is Pat Lucey in 1980)

How can you forget Fighting Bob LaFollette?  The Progressive Party nominee in 1924 and winner of Wisconsin's 13 EVs.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »

Another fun fact:

America has yet to elect a President who has both self-identified as being an 'Evangelical Protestant" and is also from an Evangelical Protestant denomination.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2012, 02:19:09 AM »

I thought Lutherens were the most popular denomination. 

We need more Quakers - like Nixon.

And Jehovah's Witnesses - like Eisenhower.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies