Romney/Ryan is first major party ticket with no Protestant on it.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:25:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney/Ryan is first major party ticket with no Protestant on it.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Romney/Ryan is first major party ticket with no Protestant on it.  (Read 10149 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Baptists are anabaptists and come from a very different origin than Methodists.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »

Baptists are anabaptists and come from a very different origin than Methodists.

Yes and I would have called them 2nd Reformation sects, but that mean something different to English speakers, than to us other Protestants, so semi-Low Church is Close enough for government work.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »

Another fun fact:

America has yet to elect a President who has both self-identified as being an 'Evangelical Protestant" and is also from an Evangelical Protestant denomination.

Carter
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2012, 11:28:57 AM »

Oh, and Mormons are Protestant Christians, just to let you know. Odd ones yes, but still Protestants.
I don't have a dog in the hunt, but that is a very contentious point of view. Mormons may believe they are in the Protestant tradition, but lots of Protestant sects don't even accept they are Christian.
Can't we agree that the Mormons are non-Protestant Christians? Of course I don't really care which branch of the Abrahamic religion people think they are.
And which 'tradition' do they descend from?
The Anglo-Saxon mess of semi-Low Church sects (all those different Protestant groups which spread in 17th and early 18th century on the British Isles like Baptist, Methodist, Quaker etc).
If you think of Catholics as a "tradition" branched off of Judaism, (disregard Orthodox), and Protestants as a branch off of Catholics, than wouldn't Mormons be a branch off of Protestants AND (weirdly) Judaism?  It forms a nice circle.     
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »

Another fun fact:

America has yet to elect a President who has both self-identified as being an 'Evangelical Protestant" and is also from an Evangelical Protestant denomination.

Carter

..has said in interviews that he does NOT identify as being "evangelical."
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2012, 04:01:56 PM »

Another fun fact:

Carter

Did he while he was in office?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »

Another fun fact:

Carter

Which one did not apply to W. Bush?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »

Another fun fact:

Carter

Which one did not apply to W. Bush?

Bush is a Methodist.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2012, 07:12:13 PM »

Personally, I consider Mormonism to be a Protestant denomination.  I'm not a theologist, but to my thinking, they are Christians who are not Roman Catholic and not Eastern Orthodox (Russian, Greek, Serbian, Ukranian, Armenian, etc).  They were born out of Protestant traditions in the U.S. in the 1820s.  I realize that many Protestant denominations do not recognize their baptisms, but some do (such as the Episcopal Church in Utah). 

Protestantism spans a wide range of denominations from "main line" Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans (ELC), Episcopals, United Church of Christ, many Unitarians; to Penticostals, Baptists, Seventh Day Adventists, Quakers, and all varieties of Evangelicals.  If you've been in the Armed Forces, there are generally Protestant Chaplains and Catholic Chaplains.  At larger bases, there will be a Jewish Chaplain and sometimes even an Orthodox Christain Chaplain.  But the Protestant Chaplain is trained to serve all denominations in religious services that are not Catholic, Jewish, or Orthodox.  Perhaps they would even serve a Mormon--more likely to than a Catholic or Orthdox Chaplain.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2012, 08:09:41 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2012, 08:15:04 PM by useful idiot »

Another fun fact:

Carter

He said he was evangelical in office and I heard an interview with him from earlier this year where he called himself evangelical. In addition he's always described himself as "born again." I don't know what Progressive Realist is talking about...

Edit: Also he did leave the SBC, but that was over their attitude towards women in ministry (something I agree with him on). It was the SBC that changed it's position, not him.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies