Romney/Ryan is first major party ticket with no Protestant on it. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:55:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney/Ryan is first major party ticket with no Protestant on it. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney/Ryan is first major party ticket with no Protestant on it.  (Read 10205 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: August 11, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »

Mormans are their own thing. They are not Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical or Pentacostal.

That's not how it goes. It goes Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant. All forms of Christianity fall under one of the three.

I don't really consider Anglicans to be Protestants, though I suppose they could be. I've always thought about them as a sort of in between Catholicism and Protestantism, somewhat like the Orthodox Church but not as close to Catholicism. That might just be me though. Also, Mormonism and JW had roots independent of the Reformation, so it's difficult to call them Protestants in the traditional sense.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 10:30:54 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 10:33:12 PM by realisticidealist »

Now there is no Catholic voting bloc. There never really has been either, but there certainly isn't now. The Catholic vote is so bellwether that it went Gore-Bush-Obama in the last three elections, and in fact the last election it probably deviated from the popular vote winner is 1968, and even then it was probably pretty close in a pretty close election. Prior to that you'd have to go back to...1928. Even if Catholics were a unified bloc, both tickets are the same in that they are led by a non-Catholic with a Catholic as VP so this is basically the biggest non-factor ever.

Catholics were a pretty unified bloc in 1964 and 1960, for sure. Just look at the results from Louisiana. They also generally voted Democratic before that, though there were exceptions.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There is definitely an anti-Catholic evangelical sentiment, but it's really, really small nowadays, and it generally only shows up in certain parts of the South (again, like Louisiana).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 10:46:03 PM »

Well, Wisconsin Catholics are a bit different than most, generally coming from Germany and with a more conservative mindset, and they were always much more Republican than Irish Catholics, for example. I suppose calling them unified might be a stretch, but they were, in general, much less divided than they are now.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 11:38:42 PM »

Yeah evangelicals were even relatively socially liberal until the Moral Majority. Lots of evangelical churches ordained women prior to the mainline denominations doing so.

This is a good case where you have to really draw an evangelical/fundamentalist distinction, and the fundamentalists of the frothingly anti-Catholic variety tend to be extreme even by fundamentalist standards and big on things like KJV-only and consider about 90% of evangelical preachers as well to be heretics and false teachers, Jack Chick has called C. S. Lewis's works Satanic actually.

This is certainly true. I've never had any problems with evangelicals, and the only Catholics I personally know who have were in parts of the South that are pretty backwoods-y following Hurricane Katrina doing relief work.

There isn't any particularly good reason why Catholics, Evangelicals, and Mormons for that matter shouldn't be allies on a lot of issues.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »

What's the basis for these claims of an Obama apostasy?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 01:26:27 AM »

It's implied so far, but I think he might be leaning there. His new same-sex marriage stance reflects this.

What? No it doesn't. Not necessarily, anyway.

Yeah, plenty of liberal Protestants support gay marriage and don't care for people who "cling" to guns or religion, whatever that means.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies