Paul Ryan: the elephant in the room
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:48:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Paul Ryan: the elephant in the room
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Will Republicans vote for a mormon and a catholic?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Paul Ryan: the elephant in the room  (Read 3745 times)
President von Cat
captain copernicus

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »

Who else are they gonna vote for?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 12:24:01 AM »

This makes me sick.  I'm a catholic.  My parents are catholic.  I am a Republican, as are they.  My grandmothers an immigrant from Germany.  We DON'T CARE WHO IS NOMINATED!  At this point, we're satisfied with ANYBODY BUT OBAMA!  Who cares what religion!  And Catholics are Christians too; I don't get what the big deal is.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »

Not so much that he's Catholic. Is that he doesn't have the southern/country/low class vibe that the GOP desperately needs. Romney already has the grown up college Republican vote. Especially in Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, and Ohio he's gonna need red meat Take Back Our (White) Country crowd. Instead, he went for the best looking Ayn Rand fan in America. I've yet to see Ryan campaign, but I don't get the impression that he can get the job done.

Either the "white working class" vote is more Democratic (or less Republican, alternatively) than the pundits give them credit for, or the Republicans take them completely for granted and really don't care about them.
White working class is absolutely more Democratic than popular conception would lead one to believe. They do lean GOP, of course, but that is much more a function of being white than being working class. In any case, turnout is going to be abysmal amongst these folks, whereas the GOP needs them to come out in droves.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 07:13:14 AM »

Against Obama, yes. Never you worry.
Agreed.  There may have been a time when they wouldn't (about 100 years ago), but since it's the Republican ticket, of course they will.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 07:39:43 AM »

And quit trying to paint the Republican base as some kind of intolerant group of voters.

Oh they do a good enough job of that themselves. There's no need to paint! Smiley

Though to be fair, the Democratic base does just as good a job of intolerance by spewing up anti-rich, anti-religious, anti-military views.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 07:44:11 AM »

And quit trying to paint the Republican base as some kind of intolerant group of voters.

Oh they do a good enough job of that themselves. There's no need to paint! Smiley

Though to be fair, the Democratic base does just as good a job of intolerance by spewing up anti-rich, anti-religious, anti-military views.

Anti-rich intolerance! Haha love it!
milhouse24
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »

It is more about having a "Southern Candidate" on the ticket.  So far, Biden is the closest to a southern candidate. 

Apparently Romney thinks he can keep Virginia and Florida with Ryan. 

The country loves "southerners" and the "southern strategy" proved effective for JFk, LBJ, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, CLinton, and Dubya. 

Its more important to have a "cultural Southern" on the ticket who cares about conservative Social values, than a specific religious label.  Catholic Santorum would have won the Southern states. 
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »

Anti-rich intolerance! Haha love it!

Basically classism.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »

Anyone whining about 'anti-rich' 'bigotry' deserves, nay needs, to have their teeth kicked in.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 11:42:08 AM »

It is more about having a "Southern Candidate" on the ticket.  So far, Biden is the closest to a southern candidate. 

Apparently Romney thinks he can keep Virginia and Florida with Ryan. 

The country loves "southerners" and the "southern strategy" proved effective for JFk, LBJ, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, CLinton, and Dubya. 

Its more important to have a "cultural Southern" on the ticket who cares about conservative Social values, than a specific religious label.  Catholic Santorum would have won the Southern states. 
Every presidential candidate has some type of Southern strategy.  The only two Southerners to ever run on the Republican ticket were both Bushes.  And as for Americans loving Southerners, I disagree.  Southerners are still portrayed by the media as stupid, racist, lazy, and unsophisticated.  While this is wrong and untrue, it's sill the perception that many people have.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »

I doubt it's as important to have cultural Southerners on the ticket as you think. The demographics have changed in Virginia and North Carolina enough that just having the support of cultural Southerners is not adequate for the Republicans to win. Do you really think McCain didn't win cultural Southerners?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »

Do you really think McCain didn't win cultural Southerners?

Interesting that you define 'cultural South' as inherently and exclusively white.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »

Anyone whining about 'anti-rich' 'bigotry' deserves, nay needs, to have their teeth kicked in.

And why would that be may I ask?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »

Because the rich, by definition, enjoy enormous privileges not seen by the vast majority of people.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »

Because the rich, by definition, enjoy enormous privileges not seen by the vast majority of people.

So basically whipping up resentment against the rich is okay, merely because they have made more money than the rest of us?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »

I think that was supposed to be a joke. (One in bad taste maybe, but it's Al.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »

It's not OK to dislike Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »

I think that was supposed to be a joke. (One in bad taste maybe, but it's Al.)

I was, of course, speaking metaphorically.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »

It is, but not because they're rich.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »

Though to be fair, the Democratic base does just as good a job of intolerance by spewing up anti-rich progressive, anti-religious tolerant, anti-military peaceful views.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2012, 12:44:21 PM by Rhodie »

Though to be fair, the Democratic base does just as good a job of intolerance by spewing up anti-rich progressive economically disastrous, anti-religious tolerant offensive, anti-military peaceful appeasement views.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »

The point being, and also of course, that it is a position so completely and utterly absurd that if obnoxious deserved to be met with sudden violence, then that particular position would be a prime candidate. It's a vile and revolting stance to hold.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »

The point being, and also of course, that it is a position so completely and utterly absurd that if obnoxious deserved to be met with sudden violence, then that particular position would be a prime candidate. It's a vile and revolting stance to hold.

To bear no grudge against the wealthy is actually a highly virtuous stance.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »

To bear no grudge against the wealthy is actually a highly virtuous stance.

To claim, as you did, that so-called 'anti-rich' 'bigotry' is a 'problem' is a despicable, craven and cretinous stance, you cretin.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »

Anyways, election time in the U.S always does seem to bring out new idiots. Urgh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies