Will there be a movement to deny Ryan communion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:42:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Will there be a movement to deny Ryan communion?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will there be a movement to deny Ryan communion?  (Read 4683 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 01:23:01 AM »

Phil and realisticidealist, I'm kind of curious what you think of communion denial under any circumstances. My church is fine with communion to anyone who's a professing Christian. I really don't like the idea of cutting anyone off for some action as being "unworthy" or whatnot. I'm aware this rarely happens in the Catholic Church today but there are plenty that make a fuss about it, and then you have incidents like that priest in DC who denied it to a woman at her lesbian lover's funeral.

I'm sure your church doesn't believe in transubstantiation. A good Catholic receiving the Eucharist believes they are receiving what is literally the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Its what the whole Catholic mass is based around, and to take it flippantly and just give it out, especially to those who think its just some symbol or those defying the Lord by being in mortal sin would be to defile Jesus himself.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 01:56:26 AM »

Phil and realisticidealist, I'm kind of curious what you think of communion denial under any circumstances. My church is fine with communion to anyone who's a professing Christian. I really don't like the idea of cutting anyone off for some action as being "unworthy" or whatnot. I'm aware this rarely happens in the Catholic Church today but there are plenty that make a fuss about it, and then you have incidents like that priest in DC who denied it to a woman at her lesbian lover's funeral.

All Republican politicians should be denied communion since they believe in starving the poor and feeding the rich.

Can I have some of what your smoking? Smiley
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 01:59:41 AM »

I'm sure your church doesn't believe in transubstantiation. A good Catholic receiving the Eucharist believes they are receiving what is literally the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Its what the whole Catholic mass is based around, and to take it flippantly and just give it out, especially to those who think its just some symbol or those defying the Lord by being in mortal sin would be to defile Jesus himself.

I understand that that's the rationale, but my church believes in Real Presence and my tendency is to think that that procedure effects much more change on the sinner than it ever could on Jesus.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 02:16:58 AM »

I should note that Catholics don't really take the communion rules seriously anyway, like how many decline communion in Protestant churches? When I got baptized and my aunt was in attendance, I saw her take communion. So a double whammy, she was already attending and filming my baptism, which many Catholics would probably consider blasphemous (and admittedly many Lutherans as well), and taking communion in a church that's not only non-Catholic but memorialist. I also saw the Catholics on that side of the family taking communion at my cousin's Lutheran confirmation (attendance at the confirmation itself being not problematic and far less so than of my baptism, but taking communion at it still a huge no-no.)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 06:25:36 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I do.

You are seriously misinformed by what Catholics believe. There's nothing wrong with her attending your baptism, and likewise, for funerals, etc. My father's funeral was in the Episcopalian church - and I was heavily involved in the arrangements.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »

Mortal sin is mortal sin. Denial of communion requires persistant, manifest expression of grave sin.

1. Dissent from Church teachings.
2. Persistant - ie, the dissent has to be over a certain period of time.
3. Public - ie, the dissent has to be expressed where other people can hear.
4. Grave. It has to be over a matter that would be considered mortal sin. Public endorsement of abortion qualifies.
5. Other interventions have to have failed.

Denial of communion isn't the first step - but if other measures have been tried and haven't worked, then yes, denial of communion is appropriate.

And Phil - all the politicians who claim to be pro-abortion and 'Catholics in good standing' should be denied communion. ESPECIALLY Pelosi. Her dissent goes beyond 'being an irritating nuisance', to 'actively misleading others as to what the Church actually teaches.'
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »

There should be no denial of Communion, even to Protestants and non-Christians.  If God doesn't want someone taking Communion, he can sort it out in the afterlife.

But someone should try to deny it to Paul Ryan just to show conservative Catholics who like him how it feels.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »

You are seriously misinformed by what Catholics believe. There's nothing wrong with her attending your baptism, and likewise, for funerals, etc. My father's funeral was in the Episcopalian church - and I was heavily involved in the arrangements.

From what I understand the issue isn't so much that I was being baptized in a non-Catholic church but being baptized as an adult after I was as an infant, making it an "invalid sacrament". The Catholic church would be OK with attending the non-Catholic baptism of an adult that was never baptized as a baby.

There should be no denial of Communion, even to Protestants and non-Christians.

I would never take communion at a Catholic church anyway no matter what the rules were. No not because of gays or women's status or whatever but because I am simply not comfortable with the premise of transubstantiation and taking part in it.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 02:18:58 PM »

1, Catholics believe in the Real Presence, many protestants do not. Ergo - it is inappropriate for them to take communion because they do not understand what they are doing.

2, God has made it very clear that Communion should only be taken in a worthy manner. This applies to everyone.

Is His word not good enough for you?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »

Well, you never mentioned being baptised as an infant. Yes, you're correct here - that is a problem.

It's not so much that rebaptism is bad it's that it simply isn't necessary. Rebaptism denies the essential truth that there is one baptism for the forgiveness of sins in the Nicaean Creed.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 02:47:34 PM »

1, Catholics believe in the Real Presence, many protestants do not. Ergo - it is inappropriate for them to take communion because they do not understand what they are doing.

Perhaps, but we should let God sort that out.

2, God has made it very clear that Communion should only be taken in a worthy manner. This applies to everyone.

Is His word not good enough for you?

No he hasn't, so no.  Nowhere in the Bible does it say who can and can't have Communion, and even if it did, it would just be some silliness written down by a person and put into the Bible cannon for political reasons centuries later.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »

The Catholic views on transubstantiation aren't in the Bible either and are basically just contrived by the church, especially it's excuse as to why other churches can't do it (something not claimed by other churches with some type of Real Presence theology), which is the biggest issue with it and why I can't accept it and why I would not take communion in any Catholic church regardless of it was "allowed". I'd have no problem taking communion in any church with open communion or open to all Christians.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »

The Catholic views on transubstantiation aren't in the Bible either and are basically just contrived by the church, especially it's excuse as to why other churches can't do it (something not claimed by other churches with some type of Real Presence theology), which is the biggest issue with it and why I can't accept it and why I would not take communion in any Catholic church regardless of it was "allowed". I'd have no problem taking communion in any church with open communion or open to all Christians.

Whether or not transubstantiation is in the Bible depends on what the meaning of 'is' is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »

Whether or not transubstantiation is in the Bible depends on what the meaning of 'is' is.

You have to take biblical literalism to the extreme to say it is, which is somewhat ironic because biblical literalists reject it. But jmfcst said something that I totally agree, if it wasn't the actual body and blood at the Last Supper, it certainly isn't later.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »

You have to take biblical literalism to the extreme to say it is, which is somewhat ironic because biblical literalists reject it. But jmfcst said something that I totally agree, if it wasn't the actual body and blood at the Last Supper, it certainly isn't later.

There's also this passage:

Quote from: Restricted
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »

God has sorted it out. He killed someone in Acts who took it in an unworthy manner.

One, it's 'canon', and not 'cannon'.

Two, yes it does. It reserves communion to the community of believers. You need to go read Acts.

Three, all the books of the bible were written within 60 years of Christ's death on a cross.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »

As quoted earlier in the thread - yes, it's the literal translation of Scripture. Yes, the bread and wine becomes the body and blood of Christ.

Those who do not believe this should not take communion in the Catholic church.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2012, 11:35:06 AM by realisticidealist »

Three, all the books of the bible were written within 60 years of Christ's death on a cross.

I think you mean the New Testament... (or are using "were written within" to mean "were written by")
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »

Yes, I meant the New Testament. Thanks for your correction!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 03:55:30 PM »

Why?  As a Christian myself, I don't think anyone should be denied communion.  I believe it's he Catholic Church's business who they give it to, but Jesus gave Himself for everybody, and thus communion as a symbol is for everybody.  When He said, "Do this in remembrance of Me, " He didn't add, "unless you're pro-choice" or "unless you voted for Obama" or "unless you throw old ladies off of cliffs" or anything like that.  Jesus accepted everyone the way they were, and He always will.  Remember the words of Charlotte Elliot's old hymn, "Just As I Am".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies