SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:56:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT)  (Read 6087 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: September 30, 2012, 01:57:55 AM »

We can remove it from consideration, really. I don't want us to waste time on it when there are other more important things for us to discuss. In fact, I meant to remove it from the que awhile ago, so I'll go delete it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »

Alrighty! So, Atlasia basically has no codified national gun laws, and given many recent shootings, I think there's never been a more appropriate time to consider a national omnibus gun law.

The first thing I think is important, regardless of the contents, is that we at least create a good foundation as a starting point for any future gun safety laws, similar to how we now file trade agreements; into an omnibus to discourage a million different pieces of the statute.

Beyond that, though, I think it's finally time we get some decent safety laws. Much of this comes from the (partially repealed) Brady Bill in RL, the expired Assault Weapons Ban in RL, and some minor things that the gun safety movement has proposed in RL like serial numbers engraved into guns and ammunition, clip size, restricting the amount bought within a single month, things like that, as well as tightening background check laws and nationalizing a basic set of concealed carry laws and a registry.

It's mostly pretty centrist stuff, honestly. Almost nothing is really outright banned, people can still own plenty of guns, nothing prevents people from hunting, there's no big overreach, it's all just preventing excesses. People don't need to have enhanced weapons built for automatic firing or military grade weapons, people can get buy perfectly fine purchasing two firearms a month (which doesn't affect business), law enforcement could be greatly enhanced by a registry (which doesn't impede on civil liberties) and serial number engravings.. it prevents easily accessed crimes, encourages (with the buyout program) getting some guns off the street, and empowers law enforcement as it relates to gun crimes, while preserving the right to bear arms. Just doing so more responsibly.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »

I generally agree with the components of this bill.  The only problem is that these regulations may come into conflict with the Constitution, because the Constitution is not clear if any restrictions are allowed at all (hence why I was a tad reluctant to bring up gun control legislation).  Afleitch told me last month that there haven't been significant gun restrictions passed before, so this bill might have to overcome some obstacles for it to become law.

If nothing else it's probably long overdue that we decide what is constitutional and not as far as gun safety laws go.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »

Sorry for being out of commission in the last couple days, haven't felt well. I suppose it doesn't matter now, but I would've voted aye to pass, nay to amend.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:08:23 PM »

I've argued in favor of various VP reforms in the past with roughly the same approach; I don't believe the Vice Presidency should be a political football and should be vastly improved, and the only way people will give it the respect and attention it deserves is if it is a position that stands independently as opposed to being the President's assistant.

Moreover, it attempts to prevent what I'm hereby coining as "Smid-Bacon King Syndrome" of very attractive Vice Presidential picks of very nice and appealing people, but ultimately fall very inactive because virtually no pressure is applied to them aside from them being on a ticket and smiling to get votes during an election. If each were elected independently, each candidate for each position would be picked on their own merits, and the latter would be held to a higher standard.

I believe, anyway.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »

I don't really have much to add to the discussion here. I don't see why this bill is necessary. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, I suppose that is the difference between us here. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 01:50:52 AM »

This is an old proposal I've modified that was en vogue with certain reformist elements back when I first joined Atlasia, designed to give Governors more influence and representation in national issues as well as, by extension, greatly improving the importance of those regional elections.

I must confess though, I feel sort of bizarre being expected to have some sort of point-by-point presentation for why this should be passed. Not every game reform proposal needs to have some sort of burning problem it is meant to address; this is a game, I hope people realize. Shouldn't "we should switches things up from time to time to keep things from getting stale because we're all supposed to be having fun and paying attention here" be reason enough for considering something? And why do we have committees again, while we're at it? I hate debating these issues twice. And what's the deal with airplane food!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies