SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:13:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT)  (Read 6089 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: August 15, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »

In the estimation of the Chairmen would the Judiciary committee have sufficient time to consider and pass a recommendation on the ERA amendment, if it were to be put on the Senate floor either tonight or tomorrow sometime, which has been requested?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »

In the estimation of the Chairmen would the Judiciary committee have sufficient time to consider and pass a recommendation on the ERA amendment, if it were to be put on the Senate floor either tonight or tomorrow sometime, which has been requested?

That would depend on when the current recommendation votes expire, because legislation is suppose to be considered for a period of seven days before reaching the Senate floor.

Didn't your resolution creating this committee list that as a maximum? Meaning it could go under that if necessary, correct?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »

I decided to go with the other requested item in the hopes of buying time. Unfortunately the ERA is probably going to get placed in Slot 1 when the Antartic bill gets done, so it may not be that long a time anyway. Therefore I would suggest expediting this recommendation vote, if possible, use "extreme" measures to procure the necessary attentativeness from the members. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »

i don't know why you're worried about "court packing," since both of the committees working on court reform have pretty much deemed that proposal dead and the chances are that it won't be considered again.

That was precisely my point - you guys failed to pack the court, so don't now in frustration just try to insult us with these demeaning writing assignmetns and micromanagement.

I don't know where you got the idea that we're just doing this all out of frustration.  There are plenty of valid reasons for requiring justices to write their own opinions.

Not to mention the fact that his timeline doesn't work out at all. This idea predates the debates on expanding the court.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »

I have to inform the committee that the legislation now under consideration will soon be on the floor. That means you have at minimum 72 hours, perhaps more if amendments and stuff drag it out, to complete consideration and vote on a recommendation for the whole Senate to consider.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »

How many days cushion do you guys need before I can this to floor without hampering your deliberations? Its kind of next in line, you might say. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 12:16:38 AM »

I might have to shuffle the Education bill, but then when Kalwejt breaks the tie on the Antartic bill, the terror will once again be our heels.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »

Ben, please answer TJ's question ASAP.  I want to try opening up recommendation votes by tomorrow night.

Don't worry Scott, Kal's resignation buys us some time. The Antartic bill will be stuck on the floor for several days until Nathan can be confirmed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »

When I said you didn't have to worry, I didn't mean that could sit back and knock off for two days. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »

Scott, "Now you cut that fence and get this goddamned platoon on the move".

lol Band of Brothers line drop. Tongue

This bill will probably be on the floor tomorrow.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:47:58 PM »

This may end up on the floor soon (if not now, then tomorrow some time), so I am glad that things progressed so smoothly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »

I think the GOR should take a crack at it too if we have time, and we may not, since it is a Reform of the Gov't structure. Would you have a problem with that if time were to allow for it, Chairman Scott?

Don't let that Marokai screw around with you. If he doesn't respond be tonight, start sending him disturbing PMs every five hours till he appears. He deserves it and more after all the trouble he has caused this session, then to be so unavailable on top of thati s just a slap in the face that shouldn't be tollerated. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 01:23:04 AM »

Why can't these people just become masochists like me? Then competative elections wouldn't be as necessary, as their sharpest critic is internal. Evil
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 03:33:11 AM »

Just because someone is elected independently in a competative election, won't ensure their activity. Look at some of the Senators. Atleast three (seems like five of them this time) are inactive. They typically weight more towards the At-Large Senators, which are allegedly the best because they are unpredictable, but this time some Regionals have slipped in as well. Some of the most active Senators are typically Regional Senators from uncompetative regions (atleast historically, bgwah, Scott, and one more whom modesty forbids me mentioning Wink). The most competative region in the last three to four years, the mideast, has produced some of the worst Senators over that period in terms of activity (Sorry Ben, you actually in the mid range of this Senate Tongue), with one or two exceptions.

VPs (except Kalwejt a time long before, which gave me hope for something similar this time, but that of course didn't happen), have not worked out a Senate administration sharing agreement with the PPT. I know because there is this guy running the Senate, who gives me this information. Wink I also don't think they have been keeping the OSPR up to date since that duty was shifted over to that possition. We passed an amendment allowing joint cabinet-VP officeholders and my hope was that would lead to the VP taking an active role in pressing the cabinet to act and get stuff done. That hasn't happened either. The general argument has been that the VP has nothing to do. Well it has three areas right there that it could find enough to do to fill several hours a day, and yet none of it happens.

I think the VP needs some intense oversight, like the SoIA. And a change in the way the general public treats the innactivity of that official, like the SoIA. And a greater willingness to take extreme measures if they fail to do their job, like the SoIA. Hey Marokai, you gonna try and abolish the VP next? Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23:37 AM »

SCOTT!!! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!!! FIVE DAYS! I expect more from you, I haven't needed to prod you as much, don't negate that record here at the end.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 01:32:42 AM »

Sorry.

Fails 2-0.

It's hard to remember to update this when enthusiasm is so lacking this session.

Now you know what it is like for me all these years. Activity is contagious, you have to fight back!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies