SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:31:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT)  (Read 6082 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: September 30, 2012, 01:59:58 AM »

I'm fine with your order, Scott. Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 09:07:04 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

I appreciate the sentiment of the bill, and there are a number of clauses I could support. However, I’m slightly concerned that some of its provisions could be construed as unconstitutional.

Namely, Article VI, Section 5 states that “the right to keep and bear fire-arms and low-potency explosives shall not be infringed.” Section 2, Clause 1 of this bill does exactly that for numerous groups of people. That being said, I agree that it should be harder for many of these people to own guns. To maintain the spirit of the bill but ensure it would survive a constitutional challenge, I’d recommend amending Section 2, Clause 1 to read:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, on a personal note, I think some of these groups are being treated a little harshly. Being convicted for a money-related offense doesn’t make someone especially more or less likely to use a firearm to commit a crime. Same goes for being dishonorably discharged from the army—in fact, those people could actually be in a better position to use their firearms for causes of good in the event that a violent situation transpires.

Section 2, Clause 1 is also slightly concerning. While our constitution does not specifically grant privacy rights to our citizens, those rights are implied in Article VI, Section 9: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, communications and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.“ Could this new gun registry not be seen as an unreasonable search into people’s private property? Either way, I’m certainly against spending taxpayer dollars to encourage people to put their names on the registry.

Anyhow, those are most of my thoughts and concerns. I apologize for coming in late on this. Hopefully it won’t happen again.

Cheers.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »

I'd like to know what the SoIA thinks of this bill.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »

On recommendation to pass the Omnibus Gun Policy & Safety Act

Abstain

On recommendation to amend Section 2, Clause 1 to read: "The following individuals shall be prohibited from possessing, transporting, buying or selling firearms:"

Aye
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »

I don't really have much to add to the discussion here. I don't see why this bill is necessary. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

Nay
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix