Assessing the need for Black VRA districts in Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:01:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Assessing the need for Black VRA districts in Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Assessing the need for Black VRA districts in Florida  (Read 603 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: August 13, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »

One district can easily be drawn that is likely to reflect Black voters preferences and that is in the north Miami area. But are the other two districts, the Jacksonville to Orlando district in the north and the Fort Lauderdale/Palm Beach district in the south, necessary. So if someone draws a truly fair map of Florida, would they need to draw those districts to be compliant? I know there aren't any clear cut answers here but I would like to know what you all think are the chances of a lawsuit if those districts aren't drawn and what the likely outcome would be.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2012, 03:04:11 PM by Senator Sbane »

Isn't this decision saying that the 3rd and 23rd were ok to draw in 2000 (when presumably the Black population was higher?). It doesn't say anything about not drawing these districts and in their place drawing compact districts that made a reasonable effort to not split the black vote. So a district wholly within Broward county which takes in all of the city of Fort Lauderdale and the black areas right next to it but doesn't go into Palm Beach county. The 3rd district seems completely ridiculous to me but it's the 23rd I am not sure about.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies