Biden: Romney will "put ya'll back in chains"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:09:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Biden: Romney will "put ya'll back in chains"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Biden: Romney will "put ya'll back in chains"  (Read 9206 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's your argument - you want the actual percentages, then feel free to cite actual percentages. As I said, just because the total percentage skews massively democrat indicates nothing.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »

It's your argument - you want the actual percentages, then feel free to cite actual percentages. As I said, just because the total percentage skews massively democrat indicates nothing.

You made a claim that wealthier black vote 80-20 Republican with no proof, you seemingly made up numbers. I'm not the one that made the claim that Republicans benefit from blacks being wealthier, YOU DID.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2012, 11:51:08 AM by Ben Kenobi »

The claim was:

Wealthy Black Americans and poor Black Americans both skew massively democrat. Ergo, the Republican party cannot get any benefit from either.

My argument:

1. Black americans on average vote 95/5 Democrat.
2. A massive democrat skew is anything greater than 2/3rd Democrat.

Ergo - it is possible for the Republican party, despite a massive democrat skew, to benefit significantly.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »

The democrats benefit from black people being poorer and more dependent on the government, because that's exactly what their platform is. It's right there in the platform. The republicans benefit when black people get jobs, own houses, raise their families.

That's just silly BK.  Republicans need blacks (and Hispanics) to scare the white slaves into obedience and allegiance to master.  Blaming the Democrats for black poverty is like blaming the plumber for your toilet being clogged.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »

If the Southern strategy worked, it was because Republicans were successful at convincing pro-civil rights moderates who had moved into the South from other parts of the country to vote for them as a protest against the segregationists in the Democratic Party.

A simple look at county maps of presidential elections post 1972 along with an understanding of ethnic make-ups of these counties would heartily dispel that comical notion you've put forward.
How is that comical?  Nixon was a strong supporter of civil rights and refused to compromise that even during the 1968 campaign (http://www.scribd.com/doc/100265457/The-Truth-Nixon-s-Southern-Strategy,.  Remember, 1972 was an outlier because the Dems put up an extremely liberal candidate (McGovern) and Nixon won by a landslide.  The party shift had nothing to do with race; even the liberal professor who wrote the article I posted earlier ("The Myth of the Racist Republicans") has said so.  In fact, what you are doing is described in the article: people assume that white Southerners are racist (even now) and that race is still the overriding factor in Southern elections.  But just for the sake of it, here's the article again, plus two more that describe and debunk this myth well:
 http://www.claremont.org/publications/crb/id.928/article_detail.asp

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/300432/party-civil-rights-kevin-d-williamson

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100265457/The-Truth-Nixon-s-Southern-Strategy

And here is a video that also backs this up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT7pASof8Lc
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »

2. A massive democrat skew is anything greater than 2/3rd Democrat.

What are the Republican percentages for white evangelical Protestants and Mormons again?

When you're a minority group, you tend to concentrate your votes in one party so that your influence isn't diluted.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »

Actually I would argue the Democrats benefit from black Americans being wealthier because wealthier blacks are more likely to vote at all and both will vote close enough to 100% Democratic that whatever small difference in the partisan voting there may be it is miniscule compared to the difference in turnout.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »

When the plumber's been working at it for 50 years, and the toilet is still clogged, damn straight I blame the plumber.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »

When the plumber's been working at it for 50 years, and the toilet is still clogged, damn straight I blame the plumber.

But the rich are still defecating, BK! (Capitalism).
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »

So I take it you don't believe in trickle-down economics.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2012, 01:58:35 PM »

So I take it you don't believe in trickle-down economics.

*snicker*
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »

I fail to understand how people can object to what Biden said. It's true.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »

are all republicans racists? Of course not. But are we seriously debating whether or not southern white racists trend GOP?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »

haha, what a thread.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2012, 02:40:11 PM »

Racist.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »

The July 12 directive inviting states to apply for waivers from welfare reform rules that require welfare-to-work via requirements to seek a job and engage in job training. We all know what the Big City Democratic politicians are going to do with this if we let them. As history has demonstrated, nothing is easier for them than essentially buying votes with welfare.

Which no doubt is why so many Republican governors aren't applying for these waivers.  Oops, they are.  And they still have to meet the same requirements as before, just not bother with as much mindless Federal paperwork if they can innovate and find better metrics towards achieving the same goals.

Aren't you one of those who laud Ryan's proposal to shift all decision making on Medicaid to the States?  What makes shifting decision making on welfare bad, but decision making on Medicaid good?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

WHERE IS PETE HOEKSTRA?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »

If "Nixon's Southern Strategy" was so effective, how come Carter won all but one state in the South back in '76, a few short years after Nixon's "master plan"? And how come the South was the most competitive region in 1980?

Race was not the only factor, and I don't think anyone ever suggested it was. A lot of Carter's appeal in the South was based on the "he's one of us" factor.  He also represented the moderate wing of the Democratic party.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2012, 05:18:03 PM by True Federalist »

I am not opposed to unemployment for a certain amount of time, but at this stage it is getting out of control. We cannot afford it financially in the long term or short term, and it is hurting the job market. For example, several family friends are in the HR business, one for a large resort and the other owns the largest firm in a city in NC. Throughout conversations, they have expressed that many of the people they interview and offer jobs turn them down because they can make a comparable sum through simply taking government checks. The resort is having to bring in people from Jamaica in order to run because locals do not want to work or cannot pass a drug screen.

Now we can get into an argument amount the minimum wage laws, which I agree should be raised, but my point is unlimited unemployment or the perpetual extensions of it does not help get people back to work. Humans are pleasure seekers by nature. If we have the option of working or making a bit less and simply sitting around collecting checks, most people will unfortunately choose collecting government checks. Obama will have to tackle entitlements at some point to ease the bleeding.

I am  not aware of any efforts successfully passing to remove the limit of '99 weeks' when it comes to unemployment benefits, and as far as drug screening goes, that is obviously a waste of everyone's time.  If these fellows of yours that you mention are having trouble filling the positions, they are either unable to lower their standards in an entirely meaningful way or they are distributing such anecdotes with an undisclosed motive (lying).

I have no idea. I don't see why they would lie to me, but this has come from two people who hardly know each other, so it's a well orchestrated lie if it is. Tongue

And you're right, we haven't extended them again, but at this point I doubt we can afford to. Like I said earlier, we are in a situation now where we really need to raise taxes on the wealthy to the 1990s levels, but no one, including Obama, will have the balls to do it.

Not only have they not been extended, they've been cut back.  The absolute maximum right now is 79 weeks of benefits, and that is only in the 7 states (plus DC) with an average unemployment rate over the last 3 months of 9.0% or higher.  As of September it's going to be cut back to a maximum of 73 weeks, and if we don't deal with the fiscal cliff, on January 1 all the overages will be gone and we be back to 26 weeks in most states.  (Our own Palmetto State will provide only 20 weeks.)

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3164
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »

If "Nixon's Southern Strategy" was so effective, how come Carter won all but one state in the South back in '76, a few short years after Nixon's "master plan"? And how come the South was the most competitive region in 1980?

Race was not the only factor, and I don't think anyone ever suggested it was. A lot of Carter's appeal in the South was based on the "he's one of us" factor.  He also represented the moderate wing of the Democratic party.
Race was not a factor at all.  I live in Michigan and voted for Hoekstra in the GOP primary (and will again in the general), but he's not a racist.  He just ran an ad that was racist because he got poor advice from his media team.
Gotta have a thick Indiana accent to go into a 7-Eleven!
Or Dunkin' Donuts!  And I'm not joking!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2012, 05:55:04 PM »

Do you have any idea, and I mean any idea at all, quite how absurd you're coming off in these threads? Something does not become true just because you would like it to be. Most of us learn this when we're children.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »

How many times do I have to repeat that the Southern strategy had nothing to do with catering to racists?  

to quote Lief, "literally the best"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies