The Crisis of Sucession: 1865 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:29:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Crisis of Sucession: 1865 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Crisis of Sucession: 1865  (Read 9283 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 05, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »

Any chance that we could see a Radical Republican Congress consider redrawing the boarders of the states of the Confederacy when they are admitted in order to create states that are bound to vote for Republicans. Basically a Gerrymander of the South. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 to 4 Appalachian states and 4-5 majority black states that could be created. I'll make a map of what I'm trying to say.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2012, 09:32:26 PM by Gass3268 »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:16:54 PM »

Goals of the Map of the New South

1.   Create 5 African-American majority or plurality states, based on 1860 slavery census numbers. This was done in Northeast North Carolina/ Southeast Virginia, Eastern Georgia/ a majority of South Carolina, Northern Florida/Southwestern Georgia, Central Alabama/Western Georgia, Mississippi River Delta consisting of counties from Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee, and lastly Eastern Texas.
2.   Create 2 Pro-Union Appalachian states loosely based on the county votes for secession. This was done in Western North Carolina/Eastern Tennessee and Northern Alabama, Northern Georgia and Western South Carolina.
3.   Reward the Border States and territories that remained loyal to the Union. This including expanding Maryland, Washington DC and West Virginia into Virginia, expanding Kentucky along the Mississippi into Tennessee, expanding Missouri into Northern Arkansas and Indian Territory/Oklahoma into the Texas Panhandle.
4.   Divide Texas into 3.  A plurality African-American state in East Texas, a Central Texas state and returning the low populated Western/Southern Texas back to a territory.
5.   The remaining areas 6 areas will become overly majority white. Also when making the map I wanted to restrict their access to the Mississippi River.
6.   Lastly I was thinking about the renaming of the States. The African-American, Pro-Union and Border States states would be able to name their states as they wish. The 6 Rebel States would have their names chosen by the Federal Government. Some Ideas would be Lincoln for the Central North Carolina/Central Virginia state, Sherman for what’s left of Georgia, Johnson for Eastern Mississippi/Western Tennessee, Grant for Southern Arkansas/Western Louisiana, Houston for Central Texas, Rio Grande for the new Southern/Western Texas Territory, Farragut for West Florida and Seward for East Florida. 

Thoughts?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »

Goals of the Map of the New South

1.   Create 5 African-American majority or plurality states, based on 1860 slavery census numbers. This was done in Northeast North Carolina/ Southeast Virginia, Eastern Georgia/ a majority of South Carolina, Northern Florida/Southwestern Georgia, Central Alabama/Western Georgia, Mississippi River Delta consisting of counties from Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee, and lastly Eastern Texas.
2.   Create 2 Pro-Union Appalachian states loosely based on the county votes for secession. This was done in Western North Carolina/Eastern Tennessee and Northern Alabama, Northern Georgia and Western South Carolina.
3.   Reward the Border States and territories that remained loyal to the Union. This including expanding Maryland, Washington DC and West Virginia into Virginia, expanding Kentucky along the Mississippi into Tennessee, expanding Missouri into Northern Arkansas and Indian Territory/Oklahoma into the Texas Panhandle.
4.   Divide Texas into 3.  A plurality African-American state in East Texas, a Central Texas state and returning the low populated Western/Southern Texas back to a territory.
5.   The remaining areas 6 areas will become overly majority white. Also when making the map I wanted to restrict their access to the Mississippi River.
6.   Lastly I was thinking about the renaming of the States. The African-American, Pro-Union and Border States states would be able to name their states as they wish. The 6 Rebel States would have their names chosen by the Federal Government. Some Ideas would be Lincoln for the Central North Carolina/Central Virginia state, Sherman for what’s left of Georgia, Johnson for Eastern Mississippi/Western Tennessee, Grant for Southern Arkansas/Western Louisiana, Houston for Central Texas, Rio Grande for the new Southern/Western Texas Territory, Farragut for West Florida and Seward for East Florida. 

Thoughts?

This is soo perfect for so meny reason! I love the naming ideas and logic in which these states were created I'm 99% certain I'll be able to incorporate this and think you did a GREAT JOB this map is nearly perfect! I agree with the names you mentioned as well as several others..... this could really work out nice! Smiley

Glad you like it, it was fun to make!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »

Gass, that's awesome. However, making maps will be a problem. Would you mind attempting to merge real 'Murica with this? It's possible in paint. I don't think I'd have the skill to do it, but I suppose I could copy a county map, go along those borders you have, then erase all other county borders.

I apologize, but I don't know what exactly you are asking me to do.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:06:47 PM »

Gass, that's awesome. However, making maps will be a problem. Would you mind attempting to merge real 'Murica with this? It's possible in paint. I don't think I'd have the skill to do it, but I suppose I could copy a county map, go along those borders you have, then erase all other county borders.

I apologize, but I don't know what exactly you are asking me to do.

Eh, on the weekend I'll make the map and show you.

Ok, sounds good
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:25 PM »

I'm guessing the Midwest is the swing region?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 02:16:27 AM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies