The Official Absentee & Early Voting Reports Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:44:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official Absentee & Early Voting Reports Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Official Absentee & Early Voting Reports Thread  (Read 82110 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 10, 2012, 12:17:19 AM »

To me, any candidate unwilling to intelligently and candidly deal with the entitlements issue, is the ultimate flawed candidate. They need to get the heck out of Dodge - all of those cowards - all of them. I'm done.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/10/09/comptroller-wall-street-finances/1623013/

This has happened in many other states and nationally, as I'm sure you are well aware.

The root of the problem isn't entitlements. The root of the problem is that the middle and working classes of this country have been hollowed out by decades of corporate deregulation, tax giveaways to the rich, the systematic busting of unions, draconian cuts in the social spending net-not to mention the huge losses of the wealth of said middle class in the economic recession (which a relatively small but powerful number of people profited from), or the fact that millions of Americans don't have job security, or health insurance, or access to even adequate education. Many millions of Americans are now in poverty, and many millions more are working desperately hard to not fall into poverty.

The "entitlements" you speak of are called that for a reason. People who have been paying into those programs throughout their working lives are legally entitled to receive benefits from them. Yes, the long-term demographic and fiscal picture for them looks bleak, but what's your point? That's not the fault of the people who payed into those programs; that's the fault of squandering the programs' solvency in recent years , and both parties are complicit in that.

My larger point is this: with the base and middle of the economy/country so hollowed out and over-stretched, why are they on the hook for the stupidity and arrogance of the wealthy? The government has been giving the rich "incentives" to create jobs and start businesses to stimulate economic growth for years now-meanwhile, real wages have fallen or stagnated, with few exceptions, since the 1970s. Yet I am to believe that nope, it is the social safety net itself that is the problem?

The social safety net's problems are symptoms of a deeper ill in our economy, not the cause. It would be foolish to drastically cut it.

/rant Tongue
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14:57 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2012, 11:26:07 PM by Progressive Realist »

Just voted in CA.

Since nobody's vote in the presidential election matters in this state, here's what I did vote for re: the propositions:

Prop 30: Yes
Prop 31: No
Prop 32: No
Prop 33: No
Prop 34: Yes
Prop 35: Yes
Prop 36: Yes
Prop 37: Yes
Prop 38: No
Prop 39: Yes
Prop 40: Yes
Pages: [1]