Autism Spectrum Quotient
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:08:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Autism Spectrum Quotient
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Autism Spectrum Quotient  (Read 2276 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 10:44:51 PM »

16. Now I'll admit that's misleading and would be quite higher 4 years ago, because my call center job has greatly improved my phone and communication skills.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »

15, though I must admit that I do find the apparent equivalence of introversion with Autism amusing in the utmost. I'd probably score 0 without the introversion questions in there.
It's a matter of correlation, and also the idea of being on a spectrum that moves beyond the disease model.  In some important ways - particularly response to levels of sensory and social stimulation - autism seems to be associated with an extreme form of what many introverts experience.  
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 12:36:58 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2012, 12:45:01 AM by realisticidealist »

Once sample size becomes a little larger, anybody wanna run a regression versus political matrix scores?

So far, none of the variables are significant in a univariate model with Autism Quotient = f(Econ Score) or f(Social Score) at the p<0.1 level. When ran with dummy variables for party ID (D, R, Oth), dropping one (dropping Dems is best) to avoid the DV trap, the variable for Econ score is significant at the p<0.1 level, though only barely, with a coefficient of -0.98701 with an r-squared of .2394, but an adjusted of only 0.0053; the constant is 17.724 and significant at p<0.01. If you drop any of the other variables, Econ score becomes insignificant.

If you run logits for party preference as a function of ASQ, nothing is significant.

tl;dr: higher autism quotient might be associated with more leftist economics, possibly maybe kinda sorta. Need more data.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 12:43:08 AM »

15, though I must admit that I do find the apparent equivalence of introversion with Autism amusing in the utmost. I'd probably score 0 without the introversion questions in there.
It's a matter of correlation, and also the idea of being on a spectrum that moves beyond the disease model.  In some important ways - particularly response to levels of sensory and social stimulation - autism seems to be associated with an extreme form of what many introverts experience.  

I don't really see the association, though that's just my own experience. While I have difficulty engaging strangers in conversation, I consider myself to have very good social skills otherwise and have never heard any differently. Still, I've always weighed heavily towards the introverted side, because I just like to have time to myself.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 01:13:11 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:57 AM »

I don't really see the association, though that's just my own experience. While I have difficulty engaging strangers in conversation, I consider myself to have very good social skills otherwise and have never heard any differently. Still, I've always weighed heavily towards the introverted side, because I just like to have time to myself.

Sure - I imagine people develop as introverts for a combination of different reasons.  A person who is shy is most likely going to be an introvert, but many introverts are not especially shy.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 01:23:54 AM »

Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 01:46:13 AM »

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 03:49:03 AM »

This is information I don't need.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »

17. Though I feel like I should be a tad higher.

I can be rather shy around new people and it takes me a while to warm up socially. I'm absolutely rubbish at numbers and can't do Math to save my life. Patterns? Meh. Not the first to pick them up, though not the last.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »

I was convinced I'd get mid 30s, so wasn't keen on taking the test - I actually got 17. Which means I can't use Asperger's as an excuse for my boffinity.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

10 Smiley
Jackson
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 10:58:20 PM »

Redalgo
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 11:06:46 PM »

It was 35 for me. I have a diagnosis of AS as a form of high-functioning autism. Then again, from what I've heard the diagnostics and labels for this sort of stuff has been changing. My score on this would've been at least somewhat higher a year or so ago prior to me getting treatment for clinical depression and a social phobia. xD
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 12:41:54 AM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 03:47:18 AM »

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »

Despite being diagnosed with Aspergers I scored 24 in part because I have developed coping mechanisms particularly with social situations. If I answer how I would have answered at age 12 then I would have scored 40.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »

20.  The "high end" of "average". 

Had I taken this test two years ago, I probably would have scored a 30, but I am much better at interacting in social situations now.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 10:23:36 PM »

I got a 5. I hate numbers/math/patterns. While I hate public speaking I have no trouble in social situations with meeting new people and reading how they're feeling/getting along with everyone (heck, one of the reasons I went into HR). While I don't like my schedule to change I'm not going to get upset about it unless everything goes to hell. I'm just as fine staying in alone or going out with friends.

While I do agree the number is probably a little low I think a lot of people in todays day and age are made to feel way too important by their parents and family and that's what causes a lot of the increases in everything such as ADD/ADHD/Mild Autism, etc.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 03:06:27 AM »

While I do agree the number is probably a little low I think a lot of people in todays day and age are made to feel way too important by their parents and family and that's what causes a lot of the increases in everything such as ADD/ADHD/Mild Autism, etc.

I'm trying to resist being too knee-jerk in my reaction to this, but what?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 05:51:43 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 05:56:02 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

22 because of my lack of spontaneity and love of details/patterns. I'm fairly extroverted and have a need for constant social interaction.

Naturally my test results would vary dramatically based on my mood and self-esteem (15 to 25 or so).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »

Probably because of my focus on numbers and my fondness for loneliness.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies