SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:28:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd)  (Read 7162 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »

I could understand if it's a religious objection but just saying it's philosophical really opens up pandora's box.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »

They can change their philosophy, then.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »

Why? Because you don't want to narrow the language to only cover for-profit schools - which you have stated is your intended target?
I don't understand the idea that a tax (which is really arguably a penalty) on for-profit schools only would be unconstitutional but that to extend it to all schools would be ok. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »

Why? Because you don't want to narrow the language to only cover for-profit schools - which you have stated is your intended target?
I don't understand the idea that a tax (which is really arguably a penalty) on for-profit schools only would be unconstitutional but that to extend it to all schools would be ok. 

I am only talking about the current language. It spends on what changes are made.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »

I would be fine with restricting the tax to for-profit schools.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »

I skimmed through the Constitution and couldn't find anything that prohibits taxing individual/for-profit schools, so I will support the idea.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »

So is there an estimation of how much it would cost to nationalize the University system as single payer? I am going to have to introduce a vague amendment if there isn't one.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2012, 01:32:07 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2012, 01:33:41 AM by shua, gm »

So is there an estimation of how much it would cost to nationalize the University system as single payer? I am going to have to introduce a vague amendment if there isn't one.
At least $275 billion/yr.
Are you proposing that the government manage the finances of the universities, or that the government would pay the full cost of the student's education to the university? Would there be some form of cost containment?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »

At least $275 billion/yr.
Are you proposing that the government manage the finances of the universities, or that the government would pay the full cost of the student's education to the university? Would there be some form of cost containment?
I am proposing that government pays full cost of student's tuition. Cost containments are:
repeat courses are fully charged to the student, failing a course for two semesters/three quarters gets your funding withdrawn, only max of four years of tuition can be free for lifetime of a student.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »

I would also exempt certain majors or limit the number of spots for "full tuition support", each year. We shouldn't be subsidizing people into educations that are least likely as to provide them with a job and have the least benefit for the economy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2012, 01:59:01 AM »

Four days, five days, whatever the length of time it has been this has been sitting too long with no discussion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2012, 12:54:43 AM »

Somebody better be sick or dead in relation to this bill sitting here this long! Tongue
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2012, 02:44:41 AM by Senator Seatown »

Amendment:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2012, 01:24:44 AM »

Can you bold what you are changing here?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2012, 01:47:48 AM »

Four days, five days, whatever the length of time it has been this has been sitting too long with no discussion.

Well what were you waiting for? You could have opened a vote...I ask that this amendment be deemed frivolous, it has nothing to do with the sponsor's intentions and should be considered as a separate bill if the Senator feels strongly about this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2012, 02:11:02 AM »

Well what were you waiting for? You could have opened a vote...I ask that this amendment be deemed frivolous, it has nothing to do with the sponsor's intentions and should be considered as a separate bill if the Senator feels strongly about this.

I wasn't waiting for anything. I missed a day and a few hours, otherwise my first warning would have been on the second, two days after the last substantative post. I also realize that activity drops on Sunday and Monday and that towards the end of the Seante things are always harder. I don't open votes when there is open discussion, unless attempts have failed completely to restart the discussion. I determine where the threshold is on a case by case by basis. This one was to be tomorow, if Seatown hadn't offered an amendment

The sponsor's intentions are wholly meaningless. If a majority of Senators agree with Seatown, then he should have his way with the text. That is how the Senate has always handled these things, and very rarely has the frivolous clause been invoked at all. I most certainly don't see the need here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2012, 01:12:02 AM »

Okay, forget the bold. Tongue

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Unknown
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »

How is this substantiated? And why are you trying to micromanage Senate work?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2012, 03:02:46 AM »

I am the primary author of this bill and campaigned on these policies so it is my duty to fight for it to pass. I certainly wont sign what would be a hostile takeover of a decent bill if you want your idea to have a chance of getting signed into law you should go about it the right way. I don't see what is unfair about that. You have had plenty of time to put together your own bill instead of trying whatever it is your trying.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2012, 08:12:07 AM »

Seatown's amendment is unfriendly. I thought that was obvious, Yankee.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »

I disagree with the amendment; I don't see how it aims to improve what we have now in the current text.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »

I also disagree with the amendment... when this amendment is done I will have one of my own
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:28 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: The above amendment is now at vote, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2012, 12:37:46 AM »

I am the primary author of this bill and campaigned on these policies so it is my duty to fight for it to pass. I certainly wont sign what would be a hostile takeover of a decent bill if you want your idea to have a chance of getting signed into law you should go about it the right way. I don't see what is unfair about that. You have had plenty of time to put together your own bill instead of trying whatever it is your trying.

I can understand being passionate about something in politics. But it is no justification to use a heavy handed tactic to deprive someone who disagress with one the right to offer his ideas.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2012, 12:46:50 AM »

Nay.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »