SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:01:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd)  (Read 7086 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »

This isn't forcing regions to do anything. We are using federal dollars to build new, first rate universities in areas of economic distress so that we can stop the bleeding and reenergize areas in decline with bright and youthful people. The regions are given the option to recommend the city based on their own public education system and what areas could use the most help.

The tax only applies to predatory for-profit universities. Their students are already ineligible to receive student loans.

Apologies, my mistake.  I'm not as up to date on our education laws as I should be.

I withdraw my previous amendment, and introduce this one:
An amendment:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »

I have no opinion on your new amendment. Whatever the Senate feels appropriate, I will support. I initially went with the Committee to give it some direct responsibilities, and I thought it might be onerous to get the whole Senate to vote on something particularly minor.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

I feel that adding new campuses is an important issue, and something the Senate should address as a body.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »

I feel that adding new campuses is an important issue, and something the Senate should address as a body.

That is fair. Do the Senators believe the funds assigned in sections 3 and 4 are adequate?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »

That is fair. Do the Senators believe the funds assigned in sections 3 and 4 are adequate?

I wouldn't mind increasing them, but I'dl like to hear from the GM and SoIA first.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 07:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: No Clear Response Entered
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »

How much would we need in funds to make the public university system totally single payer?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »

How much would we need in funds to make the public university system totally single payer?

Including public schools in the states, like UVA, UNC, etc?  Or just the universities created in this bill?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »

Including public schools in the states, like UVA, UNC, etc?  Or just the universities created in this bill?
Yea Including schools like that and community colleges. Not including private or for-profit colleges. Also everybody only gets 1 shot at free education, the second time they have to pay.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 09:43:53 PM »

I can't imagine that being fiscally feasible.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 09:46:15 PM »

Yea Including schools like that and community colleges. Not including private or for-profit colleges. Also everybody only gets 1 shot at free education, the second time they have to pay.

Enough to buy off at least six other Senators to override my veto, on top of whatever other costs.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »

I don't see an amendment like that passing.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 10:01:45 PM »

http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/2589-total-college-debt-now-exceeds-total-credit-card-debt
Well based on this that total college debt is growing at about $50 billion a year, so maybe in the range of 150 to 200? That seems to me fiscally realistic, if you impose some controls like I suggested, and end the federal loans for people that fail out of college/go to private colleges.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 10:04:36 PM »

http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/2589-total-college-debt-now-exceeds-total-credit-card-debt
Well based on this that total college debt is growing at about $50 billion a year, so maybe in the range of 150 to 200? That seems to me fiscally realistic, if you impose some controls like I suggested, and end the federal loans for people that fail out of college/go to private colleges.

I think you are significantly underestimating the costs of this sort of thing, but if you want to get creative and find some ways to lower future or even current student debt we can look at those and see what works.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »

I think you are significantly underestimating the costs of this sort of thing, but if you want to get creative and find some ways to lower future or even current student debt we can look at those and see what works.
Well the other way would be to estimate the coast would be to use the grants that are given out to low income students and multiply that by about 10, and that would be about $400 billion.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »

Ben's amendment is friendly.

Sorry I have been AWOL. I think a national university system would be great for Atlasia and increase the amount of institutions available where students can get a quality education at a lower price. These universities will also be engines of innovation and will provide more funding and facilities for research. This will be in addition to the same services already being provided by our regional universities. No funding is being taken away from them and this is not a competition with them.

As for for-profit universities, I think on the whole they are bad for students. Our students could learn the same things from a more reputable place at a lower cost. This is why funding is being increased for vocational training in secondary schools and community colleges.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly

I was getting ready to bitch at Scott's vague answer then I remembered that Sbane is the primary sponsor. Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 07:05:27 PM »

Scott hasn't posted in this thread since Ben posted his amendment, Mr. PPT. Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »

I support Ben's amendment, FTR.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »

Well you see the pain from my knee injury has made me delirious to the point that I can't tell the difference between Mittens and Old Bill now. Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »

That amendment just guts the bill. I would love to hear Senator Ben argue in favor of for-profit universities. I also object to removing our involvement in determining the location; this is federal money.

How is this for-profit universities?  I'm not a fan of them to begin with, and will happily adjust the language, but I don't like us taxing tuition that schools receive - that money belongs to the institution.  And as for the location, I don't want to force regions to locate a school in a particular place of "economic distress."

This isn't forcing regions to do anything. We are using federal dollars to build new, first rate universities in areas of economic distress so that we can stop the bleeding and reenergize areas in decline with bright and youthful people. The regions are given the option to recommend the city based on their own public education system and what areas could use the most help.

The tax only applies to predatory for-profit universities. Their students are already ineligible to receive student loans.
I do not see anything in this bill that restricts this to for-profit universities.   This section would also apply to colleges that do not accept federal student loans for philosophical reasons and to many community colleges that do not offer these loans out of fear of default liability. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 11:52:11 PM »

We could put in a specific reference to the universities affected by my previous bill, then, to clear things up.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »

We could put in a specific reference to the universities affected by my previous bill, then, to clear things up.

Is the purpose to dissuade students from attending for-profit colleges by making it more expensive?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 12:04:26 AM »

Is the purpose to dissuade students from attending for-profit colleges by making it more expensive?

Sort of. We would rather see these institutions change their status than drive then out of existence.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 08:36:55 PM »

The amendment has passed, of course.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies