SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:43:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd)  (Read 7231 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: August 16, 2012, 08:06:33 PM »
« edited: October 01, 2012, 07:55:38 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Sbane
Co-Sponsored by Scott (I think)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »

Requested for the Executive slot. Sbane, Scott, you have the next 24 hours to offer advocacy for this. Evil
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: No Clear Response Entered
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly

I was getting ready to bitch at Scott's vague answer then I remembered that Sbane is the primary sponsor. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »

Well you see the pain from my knee injury has made me delirious to the point that I can't tell the difference between Mittens and Old Bill now. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:36:55 PM »

The amendment has passed, of course.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:35:35 PM »

Where are we here at this point?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »

I would also exempt certain majors or limit the number of spots for "full tuition support", each year. We shouldn't be subsidizing people into educations that are least likely as to provide them with a job and have the least benefit for the economy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:59:01 AM »

Four days, five days, whatever the length of time it has been this has been sitting too long with no discussion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:54:43 AM »

Somebody better be sick or dead in relation to this bill sitting here this long! Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 01:24:44 AM »

Can you bold what you are changing here?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 02:11:02 AM »

Four days, five days, whatever the length of time it has been this has been sitting too long with no discussion.

Well what were you waiting for? You could have opened a vote...I ask that this amendment be deemed frivolous, it has nothing to do with the sponsor's intentions and should be considered as a separate bill if the Senator feels strongly about this.

I wasn't waiting for anything. I missed a day and a few hours, otherwise my first warning would have been on the second, two days after the last substantative post. I also realize that activity drops on Sunday and Monday and that towards the end of the Seante things are always harder. I don't open votes when there is open discussion, unless attempts have failed completely to restart the discussion. I determine where the threshold is on a case by case by basis. This one was to be tomorow, if Seatown hadn't offered an amendment

The sponsor's intentions are wholly meaningless. If a majority of Senators agree with Seatown, then he should have his way with the text. That is how the Senate has always handled these things, and very rarely has the frivolous clause been invoked at all. I most certainly don't see the need here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 01:12:02 AM »

Okay, forget the bold. Tongue

Sponsor Feedback: Unknown
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:28 PM »

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: The above amendment is now at vote, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 12:37:46 AM »

Well what were you waiting for? You could have opened a vote...I ask that this amendment be deemed frivolous, it has nothing to do with the sponsor's intentions and should be considered as a separate bill if the Senator feels strongly about this.
How is this substantiated? And why are you trying to micromanage Senate work?

I am the primary author of this bill and campaigned on these policies so it is my duty to fight for it to pass. I certainly wont sign what would be a hostile takeover of a decent bill if you want your idea to have a chance of getting signed into law you should go about it the right way. I don't see what is unfair about that. You have had plenty of time to put together your own bill instead of trying whatever it is your trying.

I can understand being passionate about something in politics. But it is no justification to use a heavy handed tactic to deprive someone who disagress with one the right to offer his ideas.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 01:25:03 AM »

NAY!

Outdid you Scott. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 11:04:39 AM »

How is this substantiated? And why are you trying to micromanage Senate work?

I am the primary author of this bill and campaigned on these policies so it is my duty to fight for it to pass. I certainly wont sign what would be a hostile takeover of a decent bill if you want your idea to have a chance of getting signed into law you should go about it the right way. I don't see what is unfair about that. You have had plenty of time to put together your own bill instead of trying whatever it is your trying.

I can understand being passionate about something in politics. But it is no justification to use a heavy handed tactic to deprive someone who disagress with one the right to offer his ideas.

Yeah, that's absolutely awesome considering I am not depriving anyone the right to offer ideas, I am suggesting they go about it in the right way. Your hyperbolic campaign language doesn't change that. I want Seatown to realize that he would be more successful working with others than against them.

Through the bill amendment process you are. He probably should offer it as a separate bill, but once again that is a political consideration regarding the chances of his success and so forth. As far as procedures are concerned though, there is no wrong way when considering whether to do it as a seperate bill or through altering an existing one, provided it is substantive and relevant to the overall topic. If he was amending it to say something stupid like "School sucks!" then there would be a legitimate reason to declare it as frivolous.

Yes he should, but it isn't going to matter very much in less than an hour, at least not for a while.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 10:57:36 PM »

Now comes an even harder part. Determing who succeeds who in an election that changed 4/5 At-Large seats. Tongue

I assume it is like this:
Andy > BK
Seatown > MB
TJ > Hagrid
Worms > NVTownsend.

It is only an issue if Marokai votes here  and differently from Seatown, because neither TJ nor Andy did and Worms well he was pre-disposed of. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »

Amendment 50:41 by Seatown:

Aye (1): Seatown
Nay (Cool: Ben, Clarence, HagridOftheDeep, NC Yankee, NVTownsend, Redalgo, sbane and Scott
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (1): AndrewTX/BK, Marokai Blue (Didn't alter predecessors Vote), TJ (Vote cast be successor)

The amendment has failed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 07:26:19 AM »

Senators, this bill is now at final vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »

I knew something was wrong here and have for two weeks. Now I know why, I completely missed this post by Sbane. It was the last post on that page and discussion carried over onto the next one so I missed it. Sbane, why didn't you call me out on this when at the beginning of the month, when I asked about remaining business? Tongue

I object to Ben's amendment and it is unfriendly now. We need to appropriate more money to construct and run the university. Here is my own amendment:

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »

The Final Vote has been halted on the grounds that two amendments posted were improperly handled or missed.

Is it possible that you and Ben could work out some kind of an agreement here? Ben never responded to your alternative numbers, that I recall. That would save a lot of time. Both amendment could be withdrawn then, a new one passed and a new final vote opened by Friday.

It is worth a few hours or until I get back online. That will allow time for it to sink in that we are changing gears here. Jumping from one vote to the next will cause confusion.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »

Ben's amendment: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=157619.msg3400477#msg3400477
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies