SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:27:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: National University and General Education Reform bill (Law'd)  (Read 7222 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »

How much would we need in funds to make the public university system totally single payer?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »

How much would we need in funds to make the public university system totally single payer?

Including public schools in the states, like UVA, UNC, etc?  Or just the universities created in this bill?
Yea Including schools like that and community colleges. Not including private or for-profit colleges. Also everybody only gets 1 shot at free education, the second time they have to pay.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:01:45 PM »

http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/2589-total-college-debt-now-exceeds-total-credit-card-debt
Well based on this that total college debt is growing at about $50 billion a year, so maybe in the range of 150 to 200? That seems to me fiscally realistic, if you impose some controls like I suggested, and end the federal loans for people that fail out of college/go to private colleges.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »

http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/2589-total-college-debt-now-exceeds-total-credit-card-debt
Well based on this that total college debt is growing at about $50 billion a year, so maybe in the range of 150 to 200? That seems to me fiscally realistic, if you impose some controls like I suggested, and end the federal loans for people that fail out of college/go to private colleges.

I think you are significantly underestimating the costs of this sort of thing, but if you want to get creative and find some ways to lower future or even current student debt we can look at those and see what works.
Well the other way would be to estimate the coast would be to use the grants that are given out to low income students and multiply that by about 10, and that would be about $400 billion.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »

So is there an estimation of how much it would cost to nationalize the University system as single payer? I am going to have to introduce a vague amendment if there isn't one.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »

So is there an estimation of how much it would cost to nationalize the University system as single payer? I am going to have to introduce a vague amendment if there isn't one.
At least $275 billion/yr.
Are you proposing that the government manage the finances of the universities, or that the government would pay the full cost of the student's education to the university? Would there be some form of cost containment?
I am proposing that government pays full cost of student's tuition. Cost containments are:
repeat courses are fully charged to the student, failing a course for two semesters/three quarters gets your funding withdrawn, only max of four years of tuition can be free for lifetime of a student.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2012, 02:44:41 AM by Senator Seatown »

Amendment:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »

Four days, five days, whatever the length of time it has been this has been sitting too long with no discussion.

Well what were you waiting for? You could have opened a vote...I ask that this amendment be deemed frivolous, it has nothing to do with the sponsor's intentions and should be considered as a separate bill if the Senator feels strongly about this.
How is this substantiated? And why are you trying to micromanage Senate work?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 01:06:31 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies