Marokai for Senate: Doin' stuff.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:14:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marokai for Senate: Doin' stuff.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Marokai for Senate: Doin' stuff.  (Read 2024 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2012, 04:40:28 PM »
« edited: September 07, 2012, 11:41:05 AM by Marokai Béliqueux »

Hi! I'm running for at-large Senate!

Around these parts I'm an old guy, I guess, but let's get the basics out of the way: I've been part of left-wing parties, right wing parties. Parties that had a lot of electoral success and parties that went nowhere. I've passed lots of legislation in the past and proposed all kinds of others, not to mention that Constitution thing I helped write; for some reason I actually enjoy the work.

Atlasia never seems to change dramatically, but things are still usually in some sort of state of motion. This at-large race could be fun for all involved, and a dramatic election is the sort of election Atlasia needs much more of lately. So, here I am, participating for the hell of it. Maybe I'll win, maybe I won't! I probably won't! But if nothing else I can get in touch with this old Atlasian addiction. I've been in touch with Atlasia for too long to not throw my hat in a race every now and then.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »

As someone who's been around since you started in the Senate, I must say, you've arguably been the best Senator Atlasia has had.

It would be a true shame if you weren't elected.

Endorsed! Smiley
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:19:54 PM »

Where do you stand on foreign policy in general?

Yes, I know that is probably the vaguest question ever, but, say, on Libya and Syria for instance.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »

As a fellow member of the labor party, endorsed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »

As someone who's been around since you started in the Senate, I must say, you've arguably been the best Senator Atlasia has had.

Oh psshaw, don't make me blush.

Where do you stand on foreign policy in general?

Yes, I know that is probably the vaguest question ever, but, say, on Libya and Syria for instance.

I'm not a fan of large military excursions or aid in the form of weapons. The latter tends to lead to messy circumstances where we're funding two people fighting against each other. I'm not opposed to narrow, short lengthed operations like Libya, though I don't want to make a habit out of that.

In general (a terrible way to answer a vague question like that, but hey) I don't like sticking our nose where it doesn't belong and like keeping to ourselves. But smaller foreign excursions need to be evaluated on a case by case basis, not reflexively rejected.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »

In general I think that this Senate hasn't really tried bringing themselves together to discuss bigger issues than their pet causes. The flurry of Amendments that don't really matter, or are outright silly (like the Supreme Court stuff) make it seem like the Senators aren't really communicating with each other to do anything. There need to be more lightning rods in the Senate's consideration that actually grab most Senators' attention.

I agree with this analysis. One of the drawbacks of dissolving the two party system has been that, instead of stronger and more ideological parties, we have a structure that has no leadership and Senators run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Do you think you can help reverse this trend? And, what do you think the Senate can do to focus on policies that matter instead of whatever inane subject was introduced first? I've tried to address this in the past with little success.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »

I have yet to see a situation where a bill didn't reach the floor soon enough because of the "first introduced rule", that didn't also have other means of being brought up sooner but weren't utilized for some reason. The rule itself only applies to less then half of the slots now as it is.  

As for the rule, it serves a purpose. That is to ensure that every Senator can ensure that their constitutencies' issues are addressed (pet issues they maybe), regardless of whether or not they have strong connections to the establishment or not. In fact those with the least connections, tend to have the most issues that need addressing.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 01:15:59 AM »

Why are you running, Marokai? I have found my life much for fulfilling since leaving the senate. Lower blood pressure, less drinking, etc... Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:58:20 AM »

As usual with such things, a devil whispers over my shoulder that I should consider it, and then I can't get it out of my mind. Tongue

In general I think that this Senate hasn't really tried bringing themselves together to discuss bigger issues than their pet causes. The flurry of Amendments that don't really matter, or are outright silly (like the Supreme Court stuff) make it seem like the Senators aren't really communicating with each other to do anything. There need to be more lightning rods in the Senate's consideration that actually grab most Senators' attention.

I agree with this analysis. One of the drawbacks of dissolving the two party system has been that, instead of stronger and more ideological parties, we have a structure that has no leadership and Senators run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Do you think you can help reverse this trend? And, what do you think the Senate can do to focus on policies that matter instead of whatever inane subject was introduced first? I've tried to address this in the past with little success.

It's difficult to think of a small solution to a systemic problem like that. Perhaps the frequency of elections is to blame, really. The import of parties has been reduced and something that I hesitate to call "chaos" has sort of ensued in it's wake. I had hoped the system would reform into something civilized but things are a bit hairy around here lately.

Truthfully something like that is going to take a bit more reflection, there really is no easy answer. I do think, at least, the problem isn't with the Senate, just how our party infrastructure is working right now, which is to say, there isn't much of it.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »

Ah, but I've learned to ignore those voices in my head that tell me to do things I would otherwise find insane... Wink

But good luck. The senate was always a better place when your precious face was around.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »

What is your opinion of the values and aims of Mustafinism-Komovism? What is your opinion of Aliya Mustafina, Viktoria Komova and Maria Paseka? Your answers will determine if I offer you a preference.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 07:43:54 AM »

What is your opinion of the values and aims of Mustafinism-Komovism? What is your opinion of Aliya Mustafina, Viktoria Komova and Maria Paseka? Your answers will determine if I offer you a preference.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »

So, now that the election is over, I somehow ended up coming in first? How!

When I decided to run, I did at someone else's urging, and to be honest, I didn't expect to win, mainly because I didn't want to make this too serious and stressful of an experience on myself. In fact, I didn't send out a single PM urging anyone to vote me right now or else!!

I received enough support to make me the first elected Senator of the election counts, and I didn't have to annoy people to death, and I didn't have to remind people I existed, and I didn't have to pester inactive types and guide them through the process, like some; I just had to rely on people who were active and who liked me and who enjoy being a part of Atlasia and hope that was enough. Somehow, it was.

The fact that I didn't have to send a single PM telling someone to vote for me, is perhaps the most flattering thing I've experienced in Atlasia, more than holding any single one of the positions I've ever held, and honestly, you guys can't possibly know how much it means to me to be voted for purely on my own merits, purely on my own reputation.

Seriously, to everyone who voted for me, thank you.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:41:17 PM »

Congratulations! I look forward to working with you in the Senate. Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »

Damn it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »

This should be fun. Smiley

Congrats! I'm almost tempted to run for Senate myself so that I can work with you again. Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »

This should be fun. Smiley

Congrats! I'm almost tempted to run for Senate myself so that I can work with you again. Wink

^^ I'm not. That doesn't mean I won't be hanging around the halls of the Senate though..
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »

You were the most deserving candidate, congrats.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2012, 12:07:02 PM by Marokai Béliqueux »

Just swore in, at last. Tongue

Once again, I thank you all for giving me the opportunity. I've proposed by first line of legislation that you're free to look at and comment on, with a handful of other ideas still scribbled down on paper I've yet to draft. But I promise, I will.

Thanks everyone!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »

You just reminded anyone who forgot that you're a fantastic Senator. Smiley

Thank you for taking my suggestion for late-term abortions! It's nice to see legislators try and represent all of their constituents, not just those closest to them ideologically. Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »

You just reminded anyone who forgot that you're a fantastic Senator. Smiley

Thank you for taking my suggestion for late-term abortions! It's nice to see legislators try and represent all of their constituents, not just those closest to them ideologically. Wink

Thanks, Tmth. Smiley I'm happy to do so.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »

Late-Term Abortion Restriction Act

Section 1: Restriction and Exception.

1. Abortion in the third trimester of a pregnancy, hereby defined as the 28th estimated week of gestation, shall not be performed in the Republic of Atlasia.

2. Restrictions on abortion shall not apply in the following circumstances:
a. The pregnancy being a result of rape.
b. The pregnancy being a result of incest.
c. The pregnancy threatening the life of the mother.
d. The pregnancy showing signs of severe birth defect.

Section 2: Criminal Penalty.

1. Any individual who performs an abortion in the third trimester outside of the previously mentions exceptions is subject to up to 18 months in prison, and receives a lifetime ban from work as a medical professional.

I am guessing this is what the legislation is trying to say?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 12:49:58 PM »

Indeed. Fixed that. Thanks for pointing it out!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »

We should go over some of these before the Senate debates them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies